HC Slovan Bratislava

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But do Eisbaren Berlin think the same?

I know this was just an example, but the Eisbären are actually kind of unique in that they are the only ex-GDR team in the German league and so the question of identity matters a lot to the fans, the opportunity to beat the West which still remains a rarity even beyond the game of hockey and sports in general. I think nothing could really replace that.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I know this was just an example, but the Eisbären are actually kind of unique in that they are the only ex-GDR team in the German league and so the question of identity matters a lot to the fans, the opportunity to beat the West which still remains a rarity even beyond the game of hockey and sports in general. I think nothing could really replace that.

That's a fair and interesting point. I didn't think, just thought which big DEL team to name drop!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
This thread has been moved to the Central Europe board as it was now off topic in the KHL section.

Not stickied for the moment, but it will be if it stays active.

Reactions: Jussi

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I think it's quite ridiculous to talk about Slovan playing in Czech or other European league when they have so far not even managed to pay off all their debts in order to be able to play in Slovak league that some of Slovan's fans seem to consider beneath them.

No other European league will accept Slovan with its finances in the state they are right now, because there just isn't the will to accept at any cost as there was in the KHL when Slovan was accepted there.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Breaking News – it's "four against everyone else now":

Kluby odobrili štart Slovana v hokejovej lige. Majú však podmienku

Slovan has today been given permission to re-join the Slovak league for the upcoming 2019/20 season, on the condition of reaching agreement, by the day after tomorrow (Thursday, August 1st), with all players to whom it's owing money.

Apparently, Slovan is currently owing money to 67 players from the last few seasons, and 63 of those players are said to have already reached agreement with Slovan about receiving the owed money later on in monthly installments running until approximately April 2020 (good luck with that; we've heard that song many times before...). :skeptic:

4 players out of those 67 are reported to have rejected all offers from Slovan for now, and they demand to get all of their due money right here, right now (can you blame them?) – otherwise, they apparently want Slovan to declare bankruptcy, which would prevent Slovan's re-joining the Slovak league.

The four players are not named in the article. Does anyone have reliable information about who they might be? I heard rumors about players now on the roster of Banská Bystrica, such as Buc and Hrnka. And, Taffe was reported to have been tough (forgive the pun...) in negotiations, as was Brust. Could these four be the ones? (Not surprising for them to wish to receive all of their earnings right away, given their previous experience with the "organ-eye-zashun".) :ha:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As a complete outsider this seems like really bad news. Slovan heading to Slovak league is a massive downgrade in terms of level of play. But if they cant afford to pay the players what they agreed to pay them it's probably necessary.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
As a complete outsider this seems like really bad news. Slovan heading to Slovak league is a massive downgrade in terms of level of play. But if they cant afford to pay the players what they agreed to pay them it's probably necessary.

If you think "Slovan heading back to Slovak league" is bad news (and it admittedly is...), wait if worse comes to worst and even that option is rejected – if the four unnamed players stand their ground and demand to receive all of their money by Thursday, and if the club's millionaire owner refuses to budge. (Why would he give in to 4 players, if he didn't do so for the remaining 63?)

If that happens, Slovan would likely need to skip an entire season. That wouldn't just be "bad news" but a small "hockey apocalypse". :(

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
So it's official, Slovan got the "GO" in Tipsport liga after submitting documents that they have agreed with all the players. I guess welcome back Slovan, the league is different, financially healthy and overall better than the last time you were around, don't expect to sweep most of the league anymore. I'm expecting a tight top 7: Banska Bystrica, Kosice, Trencin, Zvolen, Nitra, Poprad, Slovan.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So it's official, Slovan got the "GO" in Tipsport liga after submitting documents that they have agreed with all the players.

That is not fully true. There is a recommendation, that Slovan should receive the passport, but it is not official. But we can say, it is for 95 % sure, Slovan will play.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That is not fully true. There is a recommendation, that Slovan should receive the passport, but it is not official. But we can say, it is for 95 % sure, Slovan will play.

So, yesterday was just the usual dose of "fake news" – employing the media to further one's agenda? After all, a variation of the above has been the status quo for weeks now...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So, yesterday was just the usual dose of "fake news" – employing the media to further one's agenda? After all, a variation of the above has been the status quo for weeks now...

There was some committee (i really lost the overview who is who now :help: ) and there should be another one (including Miroslav Satan). And if they confirm, that they could play, it should be official.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
what a joke.
so if they really made another (ongoing since how many years?) payment schedule agreement with players, how should it work?
does really someone believe that within 1 year they could meet payments of 3 or 4 millions.
AND BESIDE that pay all the CURRENT cost. just have seen the ticket price- of course they are quiet low-but this is petty cash revenue..
i dont understand the officials of liga, slovak federation or whoever.
why the dont say, we dont take such a club with that bad owner and past managment.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
what a joke.
so if they really made another (ongoing since how many years?) payment schedule agreement with players, how should it work?
does really someone believe that within 1 year they could meet payments of 3 or 4 millions.
AND BESIDE that pay all the CURRENT cost. just have seen the ticket price- of course they are quiet low-but this is petty cash revenue..
i dont understand the officials of liga, slovak federation or whoever.
why the dont say, we dont take such a club with that bad owner and past managment.

There are words, that if they will be in debts still after december (or one year in the future) and the player will still have demands to them, there will be court steps taken.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava

I don't think it's bad news. Slovan should have left the KHL two seasons ago when their debt wasn't as high. What's the point of playing in the KHL when it's quite obvious the club just can't handle it financially? I personally will much rather watch competetive games vs teams like Kosice, Trencin and Banska Bystrica than watch Slovan get destroyed in the KHL. Even during the best KHL times for Slovan, it was virtually impossible to reach anything more than a first round exit.

Reactions: Jussi

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I personally will much rather watch competetive games vs teams like Kosice, Trencin and Banska Bystrica than watch Slovan get destroyed in the KHL.

The exact opposite for me. I won't really be following Slovan this season. I couldn't care less about a provincial league. Time to focus on the NHL full-time.

Reactions: geri

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
The exact opposite for me. I won't really be following Slovan this season. I couldn't care less about a provincial league. Time to focus on the NHL full-time.

Seems odd to me that someone who probably cares about Slovak hockey couldn't care less about Slovak national league, but of course, you are free to think and watch what you want.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Seems odd to me that someone who probably cares about Slovak hockey couldn't care less about Slovak national league, but of course, you are free to think and watch what you want.

When you're interested in top-quality hockey on the world stage, you just have no time left to pay attention to a provincial league. It's too tiny to be on the radar, and a day only has 24 hours.

"Slovak national league", by the way, is an appropriate term. Up until the breakup of Czechoslovakia, that was the official title for the second-tier league. If your hockey team was really bad, it got relegated to the Slovak national league, from the top Czechoslovak league. And that's what the league is today, too: second-tier, and you might say Slovan got relegated to it from the KHL, because it was so mismanaged.

I suppose the league has already started, and Slovan played its first game in Košice on Thursday? See, I'm too uninterested to google the result of that game. The discussion of Mitch Marner's new contract with the Leafs (and I hate Leafs talk with a passion) seems more relevant than Slovak league results. I might pay some slight attention to the late play-off stages in March, but not now.

What's interesting is that a brand-new hockey club was founded in Bratislava recently (although by folks from Banská Bystrica, I hear), called the Bratislava Capitals. They're currently in Slovakia's second league (which would be the third-tier league in Czechoslovakia), with the stated goal to move on to the top Slovak league next season, by winning the second league this season.

But would it really make sense for Bratislava to have two hockey clubs in the same (provincial) league? I don't think so. This is not the NHL with the Rangers, Islanders, and the Devils. So, I heard a conspiracy theory that the real goal of the Bratislava Capitals is to play in the KHL one day. If that's true, I'd definitely pay attention to that team.

Whichever team from Slovakia plays in a top international league like the KHL, has my attention. If a team from Poprad once again joined the KHL, it would have my attention, even though I'm from Bratislava.

Reactions: geri

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
When you're interested in top-quality hockey on the world stage, you just have no time left to pay attention to a provincial league. It's too tiny to be on the radar, and a day only has 24 hours.

"Slovak national league", by the way, is an appropriate term. Up until the breakup of Czechoslovakia, that was the official title for the second-tier league. If your hockey team was really bad, it got relegated to the Slovak national league, from the top Czechoslovak league. And that's what the league is today, too: second-tier, and you might say Slovan got relegated to it from the KHL, because it was so mismanaged.

I suppose the league has already started, and Slovan played its first game in Košice on Thursday? See, I'm too uninterested to google the result of that game. The discussion of Mitch Marner's new contract with the Leafs (and I hate Leafs talk with a passion) seems more relevant than Slovak league results. I might pay some slight attention to the late play-off stages in March, but not now.

What's interesting is that a brand-new hockey club was founded in Bratislava recently (although by folks from Banská Bystrica, I hear), called the Bratislava Capitals. They're currently in Slovakia's second league (which would be the third-tier league in Czechoslovakia), with the stated goal to move on to the top Slovak league next season, by winning the second league this season.

But would it really make sense for Bratislava to have two hockey clubs in the same (provincial) league? I don't think so. This is not the NHL with the Rangers, Islanders, and the Devils. So, I heard a conspiracy theory that the real goal of the Bratislava Capitals is to play in the KHL one day. If that's true, I'd definitely pay attention to that team.

Whichever team from Slovakia plays in a top international league like the KHL, has my attention. If a team from Poprad once again joined the KHL, it would have my attention, even though I'm from Bratislava.

I don't really get what are you trying to say with the paragraph about the Czechoslovak league. That time has passed, as of now, it is the top-tier league in Slovakia. Of course, having a Czechoslovak league would be great, but that is just unreal at this time, as our top tier league is on par with Czech second-tier league. I am interested in top-quality hockey and I want to see Slovak hockey back on top someday. Having a decent domestic league across all age categories is crucial to player development.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
our top tier league is on par with Czech second-tier league.

Exactly – just like in the times of Czechoslovakia. That's exactly what I was saying. Its low quality makes it not interesting or relevant, when compared to the KHL or NHL.

That's why I'd rather see Slovan lose all its games in the KHL, rather than achieving any results in the Slovak league. The Slovak league would be great for Slovan's farm team, just like the AHL fulfills that role in relation to the NHL.

But even though I recognize the importance of the AHL in that regard, I don't follow the AHL. A day only has 24 hours, and you can't follow everything. For the same reason, I don't follow the Slovak league. (I would follow a Czecho-Slovak league, but as you say, that's unrealistic.)

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
While Slovan in Tipsport Liga is bad news for @Faterson and some other demanding hockey fans, it's in my opinion good news for Slovak hockey overall. I am on the bandwagon claiming that having a competitive domestic league is the best for player development. With a team from the capital in our domestic league, the league will definitely grow in competitiveness. While I have been following Slovan in KHL, I have also been following the domestic league and I can confidently say that it's more competitive and professional today than the last time Slovan was participating in it.

Sure, having a team in a continental league also has its perks, both for player development playing on that team and for demanding fans, but it only makes sense if it is properly managed. I can see a scenario where one day, we might have a competitive team back in the KHL or some other top tier multinational league, while at the same time also having a team from the capital in the domestic league. With Bratislava Capitals, this might become a reality one day. For now however, I consider it good news that Slovan is back in the domestic league, getting a restart, and hopefully digging itself out of the mess it has gotten itself into.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well, that's the point: it's not an either – or situation. A team from Bratislava can play in the KHL (or, futuristically, in an NHL European division), while its farm team, also located in Bratislava, can play in Slovakia's domestic league. A win-win situation, and everything would fall into its place.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
Faterson you just bring it to the point, i see it same as you.
I just see Slovan result from the Facebook posts, that’s it, not interesting anymore. Looks crowd see it also that- wow 3,600 people at 1. home match with Price of 6€ ? starting/
I really hope for a soon KHL Team there again just need a normal owner and management

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->