HC Slovan Bratislava

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
So, latest news are that the team has a coach and already scheduled some friendly games. Nobody knows who will play in them and where though.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Some additional background info as to what's going on in an interview (Slovak only) with the vice-mayor of Bratislava.

- Bratislava as a city has a "pledge" on the Slovan brand, in other words, the brand is a collateral the city owns, and if the current management defaults, the city gets the brand
- One of the reasons why the potential investor from Czech republic backed out was the fact above, they weren't happy with the fact that they would not own the brand, in other words, payment of debts to the city were never in plan for the new investor in year 1
- The city still insists on all debts to be paid, or Slovan doesn't get access to the arena
- The city's STaRZ organization which handles all Bratislava's public sporting institutions/events is preliminary defaulted, all because of Slovan not paying any of its obligations
- The city does want Slovan to continue, even if it means the current management company defaults and the city takes over Slovan as a new owner of the Slovan brand

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
Some additional background info as to what's going on in an interview (Slovak only) with the vice-mayor of Bratislava.

- Bratislava as a city has a "pledge" on the Slovan brand, in other words, the brand is a collateral the city owns, and if the current management defaults, the city gets the brand
- One of the reasons why the potential investor from Czech republic backed out was the fact above, they weren't happy with the fact that they would not own the brand, in other words, payment of debts to the city were never in plan for the new investor in year 1
- The city still insists on all debts to be paid, or Slovan doesn't get access to the arena
- The city's STaRZ organization which handles all Bratislava's public sporting institutions/events is preliminary defaulted, all because of Slovan not paying any of its obligations
- The city does want Slovan to continue, even if it means the current management company defaults and the city takes over Slovan as a new owner of the Slovan brand
this is interesting but i dont understand exactly.?
the brand "slovan bratislava" belongs always to the city? or just now as a security until the debt is paid, which is "only" 1 million to the city.
so IF club is paying the debt the brand is back again, or still belongs to city? and city could "run" a "new" club named slovan bratislava??

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
this is interesting but i dont understand exactly.?
the brand "slovan bratislava" belongs always to the city? or just now as a security until the debt is paid, which is "only" 1 million to the city.
so IF club is paying the debt the brand is back again, or still belongs to city? and city could "run" a "new" club named slovan bratislava??

I’m guessing due to previous rent issues, the current ownership pledged their IP as collateral against future rents.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovan has paid it's debt to the city, which was 1,1mio. It appears the the owner injected some of his own capital from elsewhere. While I am happy the city got paid, the Slovan brand continues with the current awful management.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Allegedly, right? The vice-mayor was quoted yesterday as saying, "I'll only believe it when the money actually arrives in the city's bank account."
He now confirmed that the city has received the money. They will now be open to negotiate terms on which Slovan can continue using the arena. Still a long way to go for Slovan, they still have a huge debt against players to pay off, which is a requirement for Extraliga, but I guess Siroky has decided to dig deep into his pockets.

Reactions: Rigafan

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
The comedy drama continues. Only a day after Siroky jr. hosted a press conference discussing progress in agreeing on payment terms with all players, one of the players filed a bankruptcy law suit against Slovan and Pro-Hokej announced that it will not recommend the League commission to grant Slovan a license for the next season.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Ordinary citizens get rudely assaulted by state authorities if they fail to make a single trifling payment... so why should a hockey club be treated any differently? Just because they're friendly with the present government?

Let the chips fall where they must. It may be a hurtful process, but sometimes healing hurts, before health can be restored.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
So how many "Western" KHL teams withdrew from the league due to financial reasons?

Lev Prague
Zagreb Nedvescak
Slovan Bratislava

Any I am missing?
Not counting the Ukrainian team as that was for other reasons.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I see Slovan signed some players, so they are confirmed to play in Slovakian league, right?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think that can be the case, they just publish something resembling a roster so that they have a chance.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Their team seems pretty good for Slovak league, right?
I feel like they'll find a way to play

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, the team definitely looks pretty solid. Not overwhelming favorites but definitely good enough already. And they haven't signed any imports yet.

Reactions: HungryFrank

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
If the owner somehow manages to pay off all the debts and Slovan gets a go to play in extraliga and Slovan agrees with the city on the arena rent, then great. The league will be fun to follow. I don't think Slovan will contend for the title though, not yet.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
If the owner somehow manages to pay off all the debts and Slovan gets a go to play in extraliga and Slovan agrees with the city on the arena rent, then great. The league will be fun to follow. I don't think Slovan will contend for the title though, not yet.
but how stupid could this be?? suddenly the multimillionaire siroky should take money from his private petty cash:laugh:
why then not do it before, and keep KHL..
i from my side will stop attend games in future if it should happen (unless new ownership arise after bankruptcy) , i rather save the money and fly once a year to moscow for attending 2 or 3 KHL games..

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
but how stupid could this be?? suddenly the multimillionaire siroky should take money from his private petty cash:laugh:
why then not do it before, and keep KHL..
i from my side will stop attend games in future if it should happen (unless new ownership arise after bankruptcy) , i rather save the money and fly once a year to moscow for attending 2 or 3 KHL games..

I would only assume (as an outsider looking in) He's willing to pay off the debts and go Extraliga because its a whole lot cheaper? And Slovan will be a top team so more glory = more money coming back in? Maybe?

Reactions: KTl and mkev400

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
He's willing to pay off the debts and go Extraliga because its a whole lot cheaper? And Slovan will be a top team so more glory = more money coming back in?

"Glory" and "Slovak league" don't belong in the same sentence. I for one will hardly be paying attention to the team in the upcoming season. It's time to grow up. It's either the KHL (or a league with Czechs, or a future NHL European division) – or bust.

We can see, with football Slovan (owned by very similar owners), how much "domination" in Slovak league is worth on the international stage. Zilch. They struggle against third-rate international opponents playing on village football fields.

If you don't consistently measure yourself against the best (those who are often better than you), the inevitable result will be a fall into mediocrity (and worse). That's why a KHL hockey season with 62 straight losses would be more "glorious", to me, than wining the Slovak championship. Provincial remains provincial, no matter how you paint it.

(It's fine and necessary to have provincial championships, too, of course. But to go back from the world stage to the provincial stage, due to mismanagement, and pretend as if there might be any remnant of "glory" in any of that, is ridiculous.)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
"Glory" and "Slovak league" don't belong in the same sentence. I for one will hardly be paying attention to the team in the upcoming season. It's time to grow up. It's either the KHL (or a league with Czechs, or a future NHL European division) – or bust.

We can see, with football Slovan (owned by very similar owners), how much "domination" in Slovak league is worth on the international stage. Zilch. They struggle against third-rate international opponents playing on village football fields.

If you don't consistently measure yourself against the best (those who are often better than you), the inevitable result will be a fall into mediocrity (and worse). That's why a KHL hockey season with 62 straight losses would be more "glorious", to me, than wining the Slovak championship. Provincial remains provincial, no matter how you paint it.

(It's fine and necessary to have provincial championships, too, of course. But to go back from the world stage to the provincial stage, due to mismanagement, and pretend as if there might be any remnant of "glory" in any of that, is ridiculous.)

Question - Was this the case before Slovan joined the KHL and fans tasted the quality if KHL level hockey? Or was they happy being a winning team in their home league? (I generally don't know)

I do understand your reasoning but is it situational? Slovan now want to test themselves against the best or against the Czechs in a stronger league - sure I can see why, Slovak league is not so strong any more... But do Eisbaren Berlin think the same? Does Vitovice think the same? Do Lausanne think the same?

Sure it's easy for a smaller league to say we want to go play with the big leagues instead but why not fix what issues are at home before planning on taking over the world? (Again I'm asking because I don't follow Slovak league and only know what I read here.. and that seems like its trending down not up for a while)

Reactions: tobu

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The level difference between KHL and the leagues in countries you mentioned is not that big. I think they are perfectly fine having the integrity of their own league albeit at a marginal sacrifice of the level of play.

Reactions: Rigafan

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Was this the case before Slovan joined the KHL and fans tasted the quality if KHL level hockey?

I can only speak for myself, and I've never been interested in Slovak leagues, hockey or football. Probably because I still remember Czecho-Slovak leagues. Those were legitimate leagues to me. As soon as they recklessly dissolved them, I immediately lost interest.

Just because the country of Czechoslovakia and the national team split up (which was definitely necessary at least for the national team, unduly dominated by Czechs, which kept generating unnecessary tensions between the two nations), they didn't also need to split the league, as the following decades showed.

While there were still Czecho-Slovak leagues, Slovakia-only leagues were second-tier, with the best team from second-tier advancing to the top Czecho-Slovak league every year. That made sense. And that's what Slovakia-only leagues will always remain to me: second-tier, if they serve no larger purpose.

For example, if Slovan still played in the KHL, and if Slovan's farm team played in Slovak league, that would make sense and I'd be interested in following both teams and both leagues. Players from the farm team would be motivated to steadily improve, so they could move up to the higher team and play in the top-tier league. As it is now, I see zero motivation (other than "get sold to a better team abroad"), and the result for the team will be the fall into perpetual mediocrity. The football Slovan is a good illustration of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->