HC Slovan Bratislava 2018/2019

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
13 games without win in a row ended with shootout victory vs Novgorod.

But it seems, this season is over. The dream about playoffs is at now if not impossible, then very unrealistic.

There was also some rumors about return to Slovak Extraliga. That could be interesting.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
13 games without win in a row ended with shootout victory vs Novgorod.

But it seems, this season is over. The dream about playoffs is at now if not impossible, then very unrealistic.

There was also some rumors about return to Slovak Extraliga. That could be interesting.

I can't see the league wanting this to happen, unless some replacement team is annouced soon afterwards, its probably best option for the future of Slovan though

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Would majority of Slovan fans like to see them returning to Extraliga at this point?

And be competitive again.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Slovaks should get some teams into EBEL/Czech league (Slovan included) and play "super series" at the end of the season for Slovak title. Slovan in KHL doesn't really work for anyone but isolating yourself purely in Extraliga doesn't seem the best course of action either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Slovaks should get some teams into EBEL/Czech league (Slovan included) and play "super series" at the end of the season for Slovak title. Slovan in KHL doesn't really work for anyone but isolating yourself purely in Extraliga doesn't seem the best course of action either.

Well if they went back to Slovak league and do well enough in their first season back, then they'd qualify for next season's CHL.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Except the Czechs have made it quite clear on many occasions that they have no interest in having Slovak teams in the league.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
An interesting fact - Czech extraleague and the Liiga having significantly lower attendance than last season. Yeah, Czechs are not as bad as Finns.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Never. This is a way to completely destroy slovak league and perhaps slovak hockey too.

I want Slovan back in our league because it has only gotten worse since Slovan left and we know that everyone needs a strong league to be competetive on international stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I want Slovan back in our league because it has only gotten worse since Slovan left and we know that everyone needs a strong league to be competetive on international stage.
Well Denmark is probably the most improved hockey nation and they do without it. You have to think what model is more sustainable for a population under 6 mil.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
As i see it in 5-10 years.

Slovan will be back in our league. But our league will transform into multi-country league with teams from Slovakia, Hungary (already there), Poland (showed strong interest) and Ukraine (there is now almost zero competition). It could be 16 teams league with good TV ratings.

Reactions: Rigafan

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
As i see it in 5-10 years.

Slovan will be back in our league. But our league will transform into multi-country league with teams from Slovakia, Hungary (already there), Poland (showed strong interest) and Ukraine (there is now almost zero competition). It could be 16 teams league with good TV ratings.
It would make more sense (from an outsiders perspective) if you played with Czechs, considering your mutual history and both have a hockey legacy to lean back on.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
It would make more sense (from an outsiders perspective) if you played with Czechs, considering your mutual history and both have a hockey legacy to lean back on.

And this is why most of these cross border concepts don’t go anywhere. Slovan is the only team that could finish top half of the table and I’m not even sure about that.

The Slovak league without Slovan is at a par with the other leagues mentioned when it comes to population & Local Donestic Product(LDP) Even then I’m not sure it would be competitive at first, but the way the game is getting subsidized in Hungary could even things out over the next decade.

To migrate small country leagues while still having promotion/ relegation with national leagues is super tricky. You need to grow the talent pool, coach up the coaches up and down the development pyramid, have financial support and TV deals in place. In a perfect world you’d look at a 28 team merger long term with EBEL, but that’s 30 years away, even if you plan it right.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
And this is why most of these cross border concepts don’t go anywhere. Slovan is the only team that could finish top half of the table and I’m not even sure about that.

The Slovak league without Slovan is at a par with the other leagues mentioned when it comes to population & Local Donestic Product(LDP) Even then I’m not sure it would be competitive at first, but the way the game is getting subsidized in Hungary could even things out over the next decade.

To migrate small country leagues while still having promotion/ relegation with national leagues is super tricky. You need to grow the talent pool, coach up the coaches up and down the development pyramid, have financial support and TV deals in place. In a perfect world you’d look at a 28 team merger long term with EBEL, but that’s 30 years away, even if you plan it right.
The only way the Slovakian league could merge with the Czech league is if it is done proportionally. Because as you just said, the commercial and competitive level is lower in Slovakia than in Czechia, so it makes no sense that Slovakia would have as many teams in a merged league as the Czechs.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

In the last 25 years there were bazillions articles, ideas and even first contacts about to rebirth of Czechoslovakia league. It all ended on the Czech side. They dont have any interest. Looking to this from neutral point of view, you can understand it. Their league is very good also without Slovak teams.
Its a dream from the old guard, that lived in common state. Now it is impossible. I think, to create a league with Slovak, Poland, Hungary and Ukraine teams is more doable.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
In the last 25 years there were bazillions articles, ideas and even first contacts about to rebirth of Czechoslovakia league. It all ended on the Czech side. They dont have any interest. Looking to this from neutral point of view, you can understand it. Their league is very good also without Slovak teams.
Its a dream from the old guard, that lived in common state. Now it is impossible. I think, to create a league with Slovak, Poland, Hungary and Ukraine teams is more doable.

How cool would it be to have Ukrainian teams, but they have little good players nowadays. Very little. And doesn't look like there's much in the pipeline either. That said, icing a team in such a league could be a good thing to kickstart their way back.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I am going to the game against Traktor Chelyabinsk on Tuesday, but could only get an e-ticket. As I like to collect hard tickets for games I attend, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me who is also going to the game? Does anyone here have a hard ticket for the game and wants to give it to me afterwards?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
They could do it like Medvescak in KHL. A few good domestic players combined with others.

It didn't give much to Medvescak and to Croatian hockey in general, it won't change for Ukraine. Donbass was doing fine in the KHL, but back then, both the country and the hockey program was in much better shape. However, being the new potential league not as high-level as the KHL, it may allow for more domestic players and thus for some push. Actually, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How cool would it be to have Ukrainian teams, but they have little good players nowadays. Very little. And doesn't look like there's much in the pipeline either. That said, icing a team in such a league could be a good thing to kickstart their way back.
Well the first addition of Donbass started from the VHL as well where Ukrainian-based team can definitely survive so that would be a recipe. If there was a possibility of a Ukrainian team in Russian hockey system which there absolutely isn't.

Also, honestly, even though back then they still had some good veterans Ukrainian hockey system as a whole was probably in even worse shape. Ukrainian U18s managed to win their division last year over stacked Austrians which was nowhere close to happening for years.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Also, honestly, even though back then they still had some good veterans Ukrainian hockey system as a whole was probably in even worse shape. Ukrainian U18s managed to win their division last year over stacked Austrians which was nowhere close to happening for years.

Of course, you are more up-to-date. For some reasons, I missed that win by Ukraine, that's certainly a huge achievement. However, success in junior hockey is a thing, success in senior hockey is a completely another deal. Hopefully they'll find enough good opportunities to develop their career. Even if just one player, losing Mykhluka to Slovakia is exactly what shouldn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->