HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This is the best HBO series right now.

His Dark Materials has potential, but it's mostly set up. I need to see more action.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t see Lost,, but the Leftovers didn’t always produce linear storytelling and this one seems like they aren’t going to either.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
yea, if you are wanting a linear story, good luck with that with this series.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Articles about the episode indicate that when he launched himself into space, he landed on Jupiter’s moon “Europa”. I’m not sure if the regular place he’s being held is a planet or another moon though.

My interpretation is that Dr Manhattan is producing an Earth-like environment on the moon that is a prison for Veidt, that for some reason he has to catapult over some barrier

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I feel they retcon'ed the Hooded Justice story, which while the epsiode was cool to watch, I'm not a big fan by how it kind of changes around some things about HJ from the Moore story.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I feel they retcon'ed the Hooded Justice story, which while the epsiode was cool to watch, I'm not a big fan by how it kind of changes around some things about HJ from the Moore story.

I don't think anything about Hooded Justice was ever confirmed. Everything from the book that I recall was speculative. They thought it was a German strongman from the circus, as shown in the show-within-the-show, but that was never confirmed. I think.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't think anything about Hooded Justice was ever confirmed. Everything from the book that I recall was speculative. They thought it was a German strongman from the circus, as shown in the show-within-the-show, but that was never confirmed. I think.

I don't think it was but Hollis ( OG Nite Owl ) wrote that he had overheard HJ making pro nazi comments, which kind of flies in the face of the direction they are now taking the character, which is a beater-upper of fascists.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think it was but Hollis ( OG Nite Owl ) wrote that he had overheard HJ making pro nazi comments, which kind of flies in the face of the direction they are now taking the character, which is a beater-upper of fascists.

It was speculation. HG’s identity was left a mystery in the book. The only thing of note he did besides being the first mask was kicking Comedian’s ass when he attempted to rape Sally Jupiter.

The “Protect this boy” note Reeves had was written on the back of a German Propaganda letter written African Americans, and he kept a bunch of Nazi related stuff in his folder.

Nothing about HG in the show contradicts the book.

It’s technically an addition retcon. It doesn’t really overwrite anything from the previous canon. Just adds to it. Brilliantly IMO

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm debating getting HBO for the next month, largely to fill the gap while many shows are on hiatus, and specifically, to watch this.

I'm trying to not read posts, but is this worth the hype? I'm a big fan of Lost. Tried getting into The Leftovers, but never got past the first few episodes.

My only exposure to the Watchmen property is the film, which I know is not well received, but was blowin away by the story attached the time.

Is it worth getting for this show?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'm debating getting HBO for the next month, largely to fill the gap while many shows are on hiatus, and specifically, to watch this.

I'm trying to not read posts, but is this worth the hype? I'm a big fan of Lost. Tried getting into The Leftovers, but never got past the first few episodes.

My only exposure to the Watchmen property is the film, which I know is not well received, but was blowin away by the story attached the time.

Is it worth getting for this show?

The show's fantastic and would be worth it IMO. Plus, you could probably get your money's worth browsing through others.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Amazing episode.

I love the music and aesthetic of a 1930s detective noir, and the way the episode was directed was stunning. Very inspired choices in the camera work - having the lynching filmed from first person POV, not cutting during the fight sequences, replacing Will with Angela as the camera pivoted during dialogue scenes, and I'm sure there are other things that I just can't remember.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The show's fantastic and would be worth it IMO. Plus, you could probably get your money's worth browsing through others.

Initially, I thought we may try and get Disney+ around now. But, there's nothing in the back catalogue that seems interesting enough to rush out and get, and in terms of new programming, this seems far more interesting than The Mandalorian to me.

I find the holidays ends up being so busy that I may not get a chance to watch much, but when my wife and I do have time, I rather much something good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
As a standalone episode, I thought the latest one was fantastic. I agree with the point in here about how they filmed it, the sound, etc. It was all very well done and a great homage to film noir, a genre I like quite a bit.

I don't think the episode flowed that well with the season overall though, it kind of stalled the plot and left a lot of the threads we had last week still hanging for another week.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
As a standalone episode, I thought the latest one was fantastic. I agree with the point in here about how they filmed it, the sound, etc. It was all very well done and a great homage to film noir, a genre I like quite a bit.

I don't think the episode flowed that well with the season overall though, it kind of stalled the plot and left a lot of the threads we had last week still hanging for another week.

I've heard that criticism from others and while valid, I think it's best to reserve judgment on that until the season is over. This was kind of like Watchmen's equivalent of The Leftovers "International Assassin" - different because Watchmen's was a backstory episode and The Leftovers' was current timeline for the show, but still, both are a late season episode that kicked the main plot to the side for an hour. In The Leftovers' case, we saw how well it worked - I'm feeling good about Damon's story-telling here again. I think we'll get rewarded big-time by season's end.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Mostly breathtaking episode. Intensity and rhythm slipped only few times for me.

Still fearing they will leave too many threads open after the season, a'la that cursed plane crash related TV series which shall not be named ever again (spit, spit, spit).

But let's see, some amazing single (almost full) episodes so far!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not a fan of this episode quite that much. L.A Noire put me off noir stuff forever. Plus the rotoscopic effect put me off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad