HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mostly breathtaking episode. Intensity and rhythm slipped only few times for me.

Still fearing they will leave too many threads open after the season, a'la that cursed plane crash related TV series which shall not be named ever again (spit, spit, spit).

But let's see, some amazing single (almost full) episodes so far!

This season is meant to be self-contained and they don’t have plans for further seasons so there should not be too many loose ends.

Reactions: W75

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The show's fantastic and would be worth it IMO. Plus, you could probably get your money's worth browsing through others.

So I picked up HBO and watched the pilot last night. Very good, but very disorienting.

I've never read the graphic novel, but have seen the movie. I still felt confused, but, I still can pick up references.

My wife has not seen the movie or read the novel. She enjoyed it, but I'm a little worried that that there may be too much she may be missing, and that it will be confusing.

Lindelof is good at making content that serves the hardcore and casual audience, so I assume things will stand on its own, but wanted thoughts from those that have seen ahead. Is it worth going back and watching the movie at least (which I know doesn't do the novel justice, but at least gives the bones of the story), or better to be patient and continue with the show.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
So I picked up HBO and watched the pilot last night. Very good, but very disorienting.

I've never read the graphic novel, but have seen the movie. I still felt confused, but, I still can pick up references.

My wife has not seen the movie or read the novel. She enjoyed it, but I'm a little worried that that there may be too much she may be missing, and that it will be confusing.

Lindelof is good at making content that serves the hardcore and casual audience, so I assume things will stand on its own, but wanted thoughts from those that have seen ahead. Is it worth going back and watching the movie at least (which I know doesn't do the novel justice, but at least gives the bones of the story), or better to be patient and continue with the show.

While it helps to have read the graphic novel, he gets around to filling in blanks on the important stuff for those who haven't. There are easter eggs and little passing references that obviously add to the overall experience for book readers but none of that is essential to the actual story. The important stuff is depicted and explained ... eventually.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
While it helps to have read the graphic novel, he gets around to filling in blanks on the important stuff for those who haven't. There are easter eggs and little passing references that obviously add to the overall experience for book readers but none of that is essential to the actual story. The important stuff is depicted and explained ... eventually.

Thanks. That's extremely helpful info to have.

I think the pilot is clearly intending to make you confused about what's happening, but also quickly fills in small gaps over the course of the episode.

I'm glad I started this show, and should be able to catch up in time for the finale. I've been wanting a meatier show to dive into, and this fits the bill.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I think the pilot is clearly intending to make you confused about what's happening, but also quickly fills in small gaps over the course of the episode.

I'm glad I started this show, and should be able to catch up in time for the finale. I've been wanting a meatier show to dive into, and this fits the bill.

It's a bit of a cliche to say, but it really is a pretty rich text. Impressive at the TV scale. If it's any consolation I think the first episode or two was pretty disorienting for book readers as well ....

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Yeah, my wife went into the show blind and was confused and called the show weird for about the first three episodes... Last couple she's really enjoying.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It’s a breadcrumbs type of show so you get bits and pieces of what is going on as things move on.

I think episode 3 introduces one character from the book/movie and it’s easier to appreciate it all having some familiarity.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Seems the usual crowd have been busy downvoting the show at RT based on the Audience Score: Watchmen: Season 1

My God is that pathetic.

To be fair, based on the comments, at least some of them are Alan Moore disciples who were going to hate this show no matter what.

The others are what you'd expect from a show with racial themes.

Last edited:

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Well, I read through a few pages of the reviews and yea, most of the negative reviews fall either under the Moore fandom or d'bags.

Some of them seem fine. Like on page 5 or 6 "What a load of garbage.... dont waste your time with this crap." Then you look at his other TV review(he only has one) and it is Walking Dead and the content is bascially kill the female protagonist because she said women dont need men. That is when you realize what you are dealing with in this reviewer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This show is hit or miss for me. I wasn't really feeling this last episode. Is this really only going to be a 1 season show?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This show is hit or miss for me. I wasn't really feeling this last episode. Is this really only going to be a 1 season show?

That's the intent, a self contained story with no major cliffhanger. Possibly some open minor threads to tease possible future season ideas.

But they aren't talking about a second season as yet.

Personally I thought that the addition to existing canon was a nice twist.

Also reading through the Peteypedia supplemental stuff on the website is amusing.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Great to see some actors from The Leftovers on there!

All we need now is Carrie Coon

I’m a far right conservative and it seems like a lot of the negative reviews are coming from my side of the political spectrum claiming the show is “too woke” and I just don’t have time for that shit

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I should probably stop watching this one person's speculation and easter eggs videos -- he freaking guessed this reveal. Or he read spoilers.

Either way, what a twist.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seems the usual crowd have been busy downvoting the show at RT based on the Audience Score: Watchmen: Season 1

It might not be so bad if not for the fact that it seems every single mainstream show now has to drill home that the villains are at least two of the following: White, Male, Republican, or Religious.

The Punisher and The Boys come to mind, most recently. I haven't watched Watchmen, but I can only guess that's probably more of the same.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One thing is the creators claimed you didn’t need to be familiar with the source material to enjoy the show, but I really disagree.

I think you need to at least watch the movie to get the basics to better appreciate what is going on.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This show is next level right now. Sunday nights watching this, followed by Mr Robot’s final season is some of the most memorable, intense television I’ve seen.

I haven’t even read the comic (though I now plan to once the season is over), so I don’t really grasp a lot of the little Easter Eggs, but Lindelof has made this accessible enough for all viewers that just love peak television to enjoy.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
No way someone guessed that. Press got a lot of episodes early, so it might be a cheeky leaker

There were a few hints.

Like:

1. Cal being certain that there's no afterlife.
  2. Someone (Cal I think?) mentioning that Dr. Manhattan absolutely could not be impersonating someone on Earth.
  3. Laurie always bringing up how attracted she is to Cal.
  4. The adult toy being named "Ex Cal Abar".
  5. Cal was staring at the clock and disappeared right before the White Night happened.
This video right before the 13 minute mark:

Found another one: Cal's name is made up of Superman names. Cal El and Abar, the First Black Superman (Abar, the First Black Superman - Wikipedia).

And probably some other stuff.

Oh yeah, I didn't care for the Ozymandias scene this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: tealhockey

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
There were a few hints.

Like:

1. Cal being certain that there's no afterlife.
  2. Someone (Cal I think?) mentioning that Dr. Manhattan absolutely could not be impersonating someone on Earth.
  3. Laurie always bringing up how attracted she is to Cal.
  4. The adult toy being named "Ex Cal Abar".
  5. Cal was staring at the clock and disappeared right before the White Night happened.
This video right before the 13 minute mark:

Found another one: Cal's name is made up of Superman names. Cal El and Abar, the First Black Superman (Abar, the First Black Superman - Wikipedia).

And probably some other stuff.

Oh yeah, I didn't care for the Ozymandias scene this week.

The Ozymandias thing is confusing as hell. I guess we will learn more later, but I fail to see why he is where he is and what he has to do with the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->