HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not sure where in the trailer it shows definitively that Rorschach is some kind of hero to be idealized.

I figured that was the case. The presence of middle-age looking paunchy dudes came across as a bunch of guys trying to cosplay as vigilantes but look kind of silly and don't really have any idea what the actual person they are idolizing was like.

Coming back to this way late after my initial comment and these responses, but I was just talking with someone about this and it made me come look up this thread so I could remember exactly what I wrote.

The ideas quoted above make sense and would be how I hope it works, but if that's the case, the trailer is even worse because it almost becomes misleading or misaimed.

If the first line is being played straight and the show honestly believes in its "the world is black and white" mentality, then you're alienated the book fans to appeal to the real life 'cult of Rorschach' types.

if the line is going to resolve itself by showing how dumb and pathetic that mindset is, then you've basically lied to the 'cult of Rorschach' types in the audience, which will cause them to tune in and then bail when the twist happens, while the book fans will be initially put off by the perception that the show is selling out to appeal to that crowd and then be forced to either tune in with low or pre-frustrated expectations or have to play catch up once word-of-mouth gets around that it was all a ploy. I also dislike the construction of the trailer personally if that's the case because the opening of your trailer is basically your thesis statement. It sets the tone for what your show is about. So lying like that right out of the gate is a huge dick move.

Right now I'm pretty on the fence about the show. I'm trying not to add any additional TV to need to watch and my reservations over how they've handled things so far aren't making me want to ignore that goal in order to put this on my watchlist.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That was very interesting. I only have a very cursory understanding of what The Watchmen is but that definitely held me for the full run time. I just might get into this. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

And I’m glad it’s not a Netflix show. The prospect of binge watching actually makes me less enthusiastic about starting a new show.

Reactions: Supermassive

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Regina King's action scenes are just straight unbelievable. She doesn't really come off as an athlete and that kinda took me out of it, but I liked it overall.

"I'm very particular when it comes to stunt doubles. I hate to see something where you're like, 'That's a double.' And so, they really took their time and looked far and wide to find a double that resembled me and she's 26 years old. So, you know, I'll be playing action women until I'm like 66," King says.

Maybe because she's 22 years older than her stunt double.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This has the potential to be a heavyweight, both Lost and The Leftovers that Lindelof did before this were iconic and he has hit the ground running with this show. I was surprised how much action and spectacle there was in the pilot... based on The Leftovers and the early reviews I expected it to be low-key, contemplative show that asks the big questions without much in the way of action or spectacle, I was pleasantly surprised.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Regina King's action scenes are just straight unbelievable. She doesn't really come off as an athlete and that kinda took me out of it, but I liked it overall.

"I'm very particular when it comes to stunt doubles. I hate to see something where you're like, 'That's a double.' And so, they really took their time and looked far and wide to find a double that resembled me and she's 26 years old. So, you know, I'll be playing action women until I'm like 66," King says.

Maybe because she's 22 years older than her stunt double.

TIL Regina King is 48... holy sh*t... that's only a few years younger than my mom. I would have guessed her age to be in the early 30s... 35-36 tops.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That was very interesting. I only have a very cursory understanding of what The Watchmen is but that definitely held me for the full run time. I just might get into this. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

And I’m glad it’s not a Netflix show. The prospect of binge watching actually makes me less enthusiastic about starting a new show.

Yea, your not really "hooked" in the sense you have to wait a week for another episode & during that time you start thinking about what else is going to happen & formulate your own plots.

Plus if I know I can binge it, I'll probably loaft on watching it since I can watch all of it at once.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don’t know where this shit is going but I am hooked. The soundtrack really does a good job of holding my attention.

I feel like having almost no knowledge of the source material is helping me enjoy it more.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I bought the first issue the day it came out. I give this series 98/100.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I don’t know where this **** is going but I am hooked. The soundtrack really does a good job of holding my attention.

I feel like having almost no knowledge of the source material is helping me enjoy it more.

Agreed. As much as I love to hear people's opinions on these boards (re: TV/movies, not hockey :DD), I'm skeptical of too much source material discussion.

Reactions: Pilky01

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I'm impressed, hooked and troubled. In the end, this is the guy that created and f***ed the Lost. No matter what he says, he may end up using the same cheap lowball tricks just to ultimately troll people. Didn't see the Leftovers, might've been good. But I don't trust the guy a single penny or how do you say it.

If he's going to f*** this one, I'll find him and tell him to go to Antarctis and stay there the rest of his miserable life.

The way he's dosing the 'truth' is making me very suspicious.

Great series. So far.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
It was obvious from the first episode but IIRC imdb lists him as Veidt

it does, i looked at IMDB as I had a few questions.
even without looking, it was obvious who Irons was playing.

I also laughed at Dr Manhattans appearance in the play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->