HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'll watch it. There's a lot of content to explore within the Watchmen universe. I just hope it isn't crap like the movie adaptation was.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Damon Lindelof is attached to this as creator. Explains Regina King who was so awesome on the Leftovers. I'm sold.

Reactions: Speedtrials

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Read the graphic novel three times and loved it. The movie was pretty damn good outside of some bad Mila Akerman scenes. I don’t know why it gets dumped on as much as it does. It’s Zack Snyder’s 2nd best work

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Read the graphic novel three times and loved it. The movie was pretty damn good outside of some bad Mila Akerman scenes. I don’t know why it gets dumped on as much as it does. It’s Zack Snyder’s 2nd best work

I agree with the main point of this post. The movie isn't bad, it mostly suffers from some spotty acting and from the fact that its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: its slavish devotion to replicating all the major beats of the novel exactly (giant space squid aside. I honestly thought the movie ending made a reasonable amount of sense vs the book's ending).

but the bolded isn't exactly a high bar to clear :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's only because Zach Snyder's body of work is so consistently awful, though.

For me, Watchmen was pretty much proof that a bad director can have a perfect uncompromising attitude, respect for source material, admirably refuse to pander to casual audiences, make perfect casting choices that look the part, and work tirelessly to get every painstaking detail accurate and panel-perfect when adapting a masterpiece, and you would still somehow end up with a terrible movie because his natural bad sensibilities will still override everything.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The only thing I didn't like about the movie is that the whole comic book sequence with the man on the island is missing and that Veidt framed Dr.Manhattan. The rest was absolutely spot on.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I agree with the main point of this post. The movie isn't bad, it mostly suffers from some spotty acting and from the fact that its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: its slavish devotion to replicating all the major beats of the novel exactly (giant space squid aside. I honestly thought the movie ending made a reasonable amount of sense vs the book's ending).

but the bolded isn't exactly a high bar to clear :laugh:

The medium is so important to the Watchmen, that I think a beat for beat remake just... misses. I don't think it translates well to screen (or at least it didn't - might have been more interesting doing a movie like that *after* the MCU was established).

That's only because Zach Snyder's body of work is so consistently awful, though.

For me, Watchmen was pretty much proof that a bad director can have a perfect uncompromising attitude, respect for source material, admirably refuse to pander to casual audiences, make perfect casting choices that look the part, and work tirelessly to get every painstaking detail accurate and panel-perfect when adapting a masterpiece, and you would still somehow end up with a terrible movie because his natural bad sensibilities will still override everything.
Yeah, there's certainly an element of the whole is less than the sum here. And knowing how I feel about Snyder's other work (300 sucks come at me), it's probably the director.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I've been trying to tell all these super hero nerds. Watchmen was the best movie of these. But they want to argue about DC and Marvel this. Watch 4 hour Batman movies. It had the best soundtrack of any movie too. Now everybody is going to jump on the Watchmen bandwagon and I'm customs. I have high hopes for this.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I've been trying to tell all these super hero nerds. Watchmen was the best movie of these. But they want to argue about DC and Marvel this. Watch 4 hour Batman movies. It had the best soundtrack of any movie too. Now everybody is going to jump on the Watchmen bandwagon and I'm customs. I have high hopes for this.

It's not the best superhero movie. It is what it is: a valiant effort to film what most people (including its creators) considered to be an unfilmable story with slavish attention to detail. But it has its faults, and though I did enjoy it, I think that has a lot to do with coming off having read the novel, understanding the story already, and having the movie be (for me) more about seeing elements of it brought to life. I feel like I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much had I gone in cold.

Also talking about watching 4-hour Batman movies is kind of fun when the biggest version of this movie that exists is a cut that clocks in at over 3 and a half hours because they felt it necessary to integrate the Tales of the Black Freighter comic chapters (as a motion comic) into the movie where they existed in the book, along with a bunch of other additions.

Reactions: Jussi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Flag on the play

Super geek/nerd needs to point out there was in fact 3 different watchmen movies due to editing, in fighting and other stuff.

So which watchmen movie are you talking about.

The run that ran just two hours? 2.5 hours or the directors cut if 3.5 hours?

I think the 3.5h one is the best and I believe the least viewed

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
So I'm guessing Rorschach's journal became some kind of cult manifesto?

Looks pretty cool. I've watched the motion comic on YouTube probably like 50 times lol.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"lollipops and rainbows are just pretty colors that hide what the world really is: black and white"

So (ignoring the dialogue from the opening convenience story robbery/tv show thing) 1 line into show and we've basically not just abandoned one of the central tenants of the original story, but actively opposed it.

Much of the entire ****ing point of Watchmen was that the world isn't black and white. Rorschach is the black and white morality character and he has to die at the climax because he can't live in the world as it exists with Veidt doing some extremely morally gray "wrong for the right reason" things or the fact that Dr Manhattan deals in an ethos that's not black, white, grey, or any color we can perceive with human senses because his existence is so different/alien/altered by basically being on the outside of linear reality/time looking in. Seriously, that's the point of Rorschach. It's Moore taking the ultra, ultra, ultra objectivist slant that Steve Ditko built into The Question (as a DC-owned take on his own personal creation, Mr. A) and showing "while taking the positivity of the strength personal integrity aside, he's easily the least functional of all the heroes in the story simply because his ethos doesn't mesh with how the rest of the world works." He was a parody of sorts. And a very intentional one. And right off the bat the trailer is going to lead with a line that fits perfectly into his line of thinking without recognizing that for as cool and edgy as it sounds, the intent of the original story was to show that such a viewpoint is utter bunk.

That's not to say that Rorschach wasn't also a fun (or what passes for fun in such a bleak tale) character that got a lot of attention and fandom. He did. And I include myself in that set. But that line seems like it was written for the "Rorschach is awesome and he's totally right about not compromising, even in the face of armageddon, because the world is full of sellouts and liars and morally unscrupulous filth." crowd more than it was the "Rorschach is entertaining and interesting, but the end result is that he's just as screwed up as all the people he hypocritically lectures and looks down on, if not more so. But that's what makes him an interesting character." crowd.

Sorry. I didn't mean to go down the rabbit hole quite so deeply. I generally don't even get that hung up on analysis and examination of the meaning and intent of a lot of stuff as I'm usually just in it for the entertainment factor. I just laughed really hard at that line and grousing about it in an over-the-top fashion led me to sounding like some philsophy nerd writing an essay thesis about the concepts. :laugh:

Carry on.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
So I'm guessing Rorschach's journal became some kind of cult manifesto?

Looks pretty cool. I've watched the motion comic on YouTube probably like 50 times lol.

Yeah seems like people rallying around Rorscharchs ideology, perhaps not happy with how Veidt and Manhattan handled things

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"lollipops and rainbows are just pretty colors that hide what the world really is: black and white"

So (ignoring the dialogue from the opening convenience story robbery/tv show thing) 1 line into show and we've basically not just abandoned one of the central tenants of the original story, but actively opposed it.

Much of the entire ****ing point of Watchmen was that the world isn't black and white. Rorschach is the black and white morality character and he has to die at the climax because he can't live in the world as it exists with Veidt doing some extremely morally gray "wrong for the right reason" things or the fact that Dr Manhattan deals in an ethos that's not black, white, grey, or any color we can perceive with human senses because his existence is so different/alien/altered by basically being on the outside of linear reality/time looking in. Seriously, that's the point of Rorschach. It's Moore taking the ultra, ultra, ultra objectivist slant that Steve Ditko built into The Question (as a DC-owned take on his own personal creation, Mr. A) and showing "while taking the positivity of the strength personal integrity aside, he's easily the least functional of all the heroes in the story simply because his ethos doesn't mesh with how the rest of the world works." He was a parody of sorts. And a very intentional one. And right off the bat the trailer is going to lead with a line that fits perfectly into his line of thinking without recognizing that for as cool and edgy as it sounds, the intent of the original story was to show that such a viewpoint is utter bunk.

That's not to say that Rorschach wasn't also a fun (or what passes for fun in such a bleak tale) character that got a lot of attention and fandom. He did. And I include myself in that set. But that line seems like it was written for the "Rorschach is awesome and he's totally right about not compromising, even in the face of armageddon, because the world is full of sellouts and liars and morally unscrupulous filth." crowd more than it was the "Rorschach is entertaining and interesting, but the end result is that he's just as screwed up as all the people he hypocritically lectures and looks down on, if not more so. But that's what makes him an interesting character." crowd.

Sorry. I didn't mean to go down the rabbit hole quite so deeply. I generally don't even get that hung up on analysis and examination of the meaning and intent of a lot of stuff as I'm usually just in it for the entertainment factor. I just laughed really hard at that line and grousing about it in an over-the-top fashion led me to sounding like some philsophy nerd writing an essay thesis about the concepts. :laugh:

Carry on.

Excellent post

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Carry on.

I'm not sure where in the trailer it shows definitively that Rorschach is some kind of hero to be idealized.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Honestly I think the Rorschach club could be a commentary on fans that bought into all his lines and thinking he was just so cool and totally right.
I figured that was the case. The presence of middle-age looking paunchy dudes came across as a bunch of guys trying to cosplay as vigilantes but look kind of silly and don't really have any idea what the actual person they are idolizing was like.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I figured that was the case. The presence of middle-age looking paunchy dudes came across as a bunch of guys trying to cosplay as vigilantes but look kind of silly and don't really have any idea what the actual person they are idolizing was like.

I assume it will be a thinly veiled swipe at the disenfranchised white male incels/Trump supporters (not to get too political here but you get it).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad