Hazing and Initiation in Junior Hockey

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hazing and initiation - the worst kept secret in junior hockey. with all the stuff coming out about the 0 tolerance for hazing policies I just want to speak about modern day hazing in junior hockey and what coaches "don't see".

I will start by saying I have not heard anything near as bad as the early 2000's IMO but I'll let everyone else be the judge of that.

first and foremost, the rookie party. on most teams, there is a rookie draft early on in the season. for example, if there are 6 rookies on the team, the 6 most experienced guys (in terms of games played in the league for most teams) will each "draft" one of the 6 rookies to be their b***h for the year. at the rookie party, they must complete tasks as assigned by their vet usually involving absurd amounts of alcohol.

how do the vets by so much alcohol you may ask? the fine system (aka kangaroo court). the rookies get fined for just about everything they do (showering before the veterans, not listening to vets, etc.). usually $2 but the amount increases for certain things (one this year was $25 for a rookie not passing to a vet on a 2 on 1). every week there is a "court date" to discuss fines. the rookies are wheeled in (usually completely naked) in the jersey shopping cart and have to plead their case, almost pointless based on the name of the system. all the fine money supports the vets weekend drinking activities.

there is also the rookie duties of cleaning/unloading the bus after a road trip and picking up pucks after a practice but I'm not going to go into that as it is harmless.

some horror stories include hospital trips after rookie parties, broomsticks going in places they don't belong and a naked cookie run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad