Hayes vs. Stamkos in 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I appreciate the input, but there pretty much is no value in what you put there. Anyone who has played ice hockey knows the huge difference in the game.

I wasnt even trying to make a point man, it was just a little inside story for people to enjoy. I even stated that there is a difference in my post.

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Is Cody Hodgson consider a top 5 - 10 for the 2008 draft? I've never seen him play, but have heard great things. Could he surprise going 1st overall?

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Is Cody Hodgson consider a top 5 - 10 for the 2008 draft? I've never seen him play, but have heard great things. Could he surprise going 1st overall?

From my viewings of him over the past few seasons, no he won't surprise and go top 5, let alone 1st overall.

Having said that however, obviously you never know what can happen over the course of a year. But there are just too many higher-ranked 2008 draft prospects in the OHL alone, not to mention adding those from the rest of the world. OHL studs such as Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo, DelZotto, Arniel, Bailey, and more, would be ranked ahead of Hodgson IMO.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Depends on needs--D-man Drew Doughty could go #1 next year if a team wants a D-man with the #1 pick...

steveul

May 14, 2007
I looked at the Quebec League draft, and I did not see Hayes on it at all...infact I didnt see many Americans at all, unless I was looking at something wrong. Was Hayes previously drafted by Moncton?? I dont know if the Q is the best route anymore, I felt it really didnt help Adam Pineault that much as he was touted as a top 5 pick at one point. USHL is a pretty good league, either way I wouldnt care where he wound up.

Hayes was drafted by Moncton in the 7th Round of the '06 Midget entry draft. That 7th round doesn't mean anything ... he would have been drafted much higher if he had indicated he would report to the Q.

Pineault was a victim of his own laziness ... when he wanted to work hard he was a dominant player. But Pineault is on record as saying he should have come to Moncton right off the bat instead of going the NCAA route ... perhaps that comment comes from a bad experience that not everybody else would have. Pineault had a good second half in the AHL and was called up to Columbus as an injury fill in ... but never got there due to a snow storm. I'd say that if he was getting a shot in the NHL that he did pretty well coming from Moncton.

Last edited:

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
From my viewings of him over the past few seasons, no he won't surprise and go top 5, let alone 1st overall.

Having said that however, obviously you never know what can happen over the course of a year. But there are just too many higher-ranked 2008 draft prospects in the OHL alone, not to mention adding those from the rest of the world. OHL studs such as Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo, DelZotto, Arniel, Bailey, and more, would be ranked ahead of Hodgson IMO.

Ranking Arniel, Bailey "and more" from the OHL ahead of Hodgson, you would be in the very small minority IMO. Especially the "and more" part.

I think Cody Hodgson will be a carbon copy of, and as good/productive as, Chris Drury in the NHL. Same size, body, skating style, tools, game and mentality. I can tell you I saw Brampton play live about 25 times last year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Indeed you are correct...
Hayes -- American
Stamkos -- Canadian

On that note, I believe I'd personally take Stamkos right now... he's an incredible player. But I wouldn't entirely surprised to see Hayes pass him by next season.

Exactly! It's a ****ing YEAR before the draft and people are being laughed at for having an opinion of someone? I haven't even really seen Stamkos play yet!

If the gap is as far as some are making it out to be in a year and when I have seen both play their next full year a few times and I'm totally off then, THAN someone can say something.

How ****ing ******, though, to laugh at someone saying something about guys who aren't even in their draft year yet. Annoying and juvenile as hell.

In a year, Stamkos might be looked at as a borderline first rounder and Hayes might drop like Llewellyn did. Who the hell knows? But it's a full damn year away!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So from that Ill assume that Hayes is american?

I'll assume from that that you don't bother thinking why I wrote what I did? I have seen Hayes play a few times. How many times do you think I've ever seen Stamkos play?

If Stamkos is as far ahead as a few people think in a year, than I'll most likely agree with them. I think it's ludicrous that I'm being bashed because I like the guy I actually saw play. Totally ridiculous.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'll assume from that that you don't bother thinking why I wrote what I did? I have seen Hayes play a few times. How many times do you think I've ever seen Stamkos play?

If Stamkos is as far ahead as a few people think in a year, than I'll most likely agree with them. I think it's ludicrous that I'm being bashed because I like the guy I actually saw play. Totally ridiculous.

i see where you are coming from and i agree. i have seen doughty the most from the 08 draft and he is obviously the guy i like the most so far. but as you say A LOT will happen the next year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
i see where you are coming from and i agree. i have seen doughty the most from the 08 draft and he is obviously the guy i like the most so far. but as you say A LOT will happen the next year.

Exactly. Every year there are 2-3 guys that drop who were considered top 10 picks (even top 1 or 2 picks).

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
Ranking Arniel, Bailey "and more" from the OHL ahead of Hodgson, you would be in the very small minority IMO. Especially the "and more" part.

I think Cody Hodgson will be a carbon copy of, and as good/productive as, Chris Drury in the NHL. Same size, body, skating style, tools, game and mentality. I can tell you I saw Brampton play live about 25 times last year.

I like the way Hodgson plays around the net, he is tough on the puck. He really has a knack for goals from in front. I don't think he has as good an all round game as the above mentioned and even some "and mores". Maybe in his second year though...

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Exactly! It's a ****ing YEAR before the draft and people are being laughed at for having an opinion of someone? I haven't even really seen Stamkos play yet!

If the gap is as far as some are making it out to be in a year and when I have seen both play their next full year a few times and I'm totally off then, THAN someone can say something.
In your first post you claimed Stamkos to be super-hyped and that you'd take Hayes over him, and then you followed with the statement that you haven't really even seen Stamkos play yet. They may or may not rise or fall in rankings in the future, but your pre-judgment of Hayes over Stamkos without having seen Stamkos play does not speak well of your comparative analytical skills.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
In your first post you claimed Stamkos to be super-hyped and that you'd take Hayes over him, and then you followed with the statement that you haven't really even seen Stamkos play yet. They may or may not rise or fall in rankings in the future, but your pre-judgment of Hayes over Stamkos without having seen Stamkos play does not speak well of your comparative analytical skills.

nope. he said he hadnt seen ENOUGH to buy into the HYPE.

and you do know you are "trying" to bash one of the guys all of us loves to have here and loves to read he's opnion right??? jon is one of the most appreciated posters here on HFboards. and he knows what he is talking about, thats for sure.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Teubert may move up.

Stamkos right now but Teubert may give him a run for his mula.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Teubert may move up.

Stamkos right now but Teubert may give him a run for his mula.

Teubert will not challenge Stamkos for No. 1. In fact, he's more likely to fall out of the top 10 than he is to challenge for No. 1 overall.

With Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo, Michael Del Zotto, Yann Sauve, Luke Schenn, Johan Motin, Vyacheslav Voinov, Maxim Chudinov, Joni Liljeblad, and Vladimir Roth, next year's first round will be loaded with dmen.

The same guy (Matthew Wuest) for The Hockey News who wrote the little blurb that feature one scout saying that Teubert is "Pronger-esue" now has Tebuert at No. 8 overall for 2008 -- the fourth dman, behind Doughty, Pietrangelo and Del Zotto.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I like the way Hodgson plays around the net, he is tough on the puck. He really has a knack for goals from in front. I don't think he has as good an all round game as the above mentioned and even some "and mores". Maybe in his second year though...

I'm not really sure you've seen a lot of Cody Hodgson then. His calling card is his complete game, offense and defense, all three zones. Equally adept at scoring or playmaking (as his 23/23 rookie season would attest). There is a reason Stan Butler matched him against Bryan Little, the best centerman in the conference, in the first round of the playoffs.

At the conclusion of the gold medal game at the CWG, ex-NHL Dave Reid, who was doing color for TSN, remarked that while Stamkos was the offensive leader for Team Ontario, Hodgson was their "best all-around player".

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
nope. he said he hadnt seen ENOUGH to buy into the HYPE.

and you do know you are "trying" to bash one of the guys all of us loves to have here and loves to read he's opnion right??? jon is one of the most appreciated posters here on HFboards. and he knows what he is talking about, thats for sure.
Questioning the methodology behind stating a preference for one player over another the author has never even really seen play does not at all equate to bashing, rather it is common sense. Offering an opinion that one player is better than another certainly falls under the category of personal preference or opinion, but it is not an informed opinion if the author admits to a preference of one player over another he has yet to have even really see play the game.
Post #4 on page 1:
I love Hayes. Stamkos is super hyped but I think I'd take Hayes over him.
Taken from post #58 on page 3
I haven't even really seen Stamkos play yet!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Questioning the methodology behind stating a preference for one player over another the author has never even really seen play does not at all equate to bashing, rather it is common sense. Offering an opinion that one player is better than another certainly falls under the category of personal preference or opinion, but it is not an informed opinion if the author admits to a preference of one player over another he has yet to have even really see play the game.
Post #4 on page 1:

does it really matter anyway??? why does his view or opinion matter to you so much jaded or not?? I agree with you that some of the statements seem contradicting, but who cares. Noone are experts here, I am sure you dont lose sleep over what rx has to say at night..or do you???

Bottom line is this..Hayes and Stamkos are two extremely talented players who will be pretty high draft picks come next year. Anything can happen, but I doubt either of these two will fall..if anything I think they both will raise their stock come draft day. I havent seen much of Stamkos but from what I have read and seen the kid is pretty special...and that goes ditto for Hayes.

Even though we are 1 year away I still feel it will go down as 1. Stamkos and 2. Hayes..IMO. We have an entire year to debate these two players and other..save all the ammo and cut and pasting for later on. :teach:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Post #4 on page 1:

I'll just admit you win so you stop ****ing complaining so much.

Christ almighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad