Proposal: Hayes to Pittsburgh (3 team trade)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Perhaps. But they're not going to willingly pay top #2C prices, because he's not a top #2C, he's never been a top #2C, he never again will have the chance to be a top #2C, and the idea that he's even a mediocre #2C exists largely in the fevered imaginations of desperate Pens fans.

Sure, GMs look for situations like that all the time - but they don't pay the kinds of prices you've been quoting. They look for that stuff because it's a gamble they can try with low cost and decent potential reward. They're not going to pay you as though the reward is a guaranteed outcome.

What?

The Pens just did as of last season. Everything you say was just done.

I think we are done here. Probably were a while back.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What?

The Pens just did as of last season. Everything you say was just done.
And because your team did it, it's automatically a wise move, right?

Nope, sorry. Y'all overpaid, everybody knows y'all overpaid, and you're just going to have to deal with that.

EDIT: Or, alternatively: We paid Riley Nash to be our scoring #3C. He's not doing that for us, but maybe he can do it for you! Pay us all the draft picks. And a blue-chip prospect.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And because your team did it, it's automatically a wise move, right?

Nope, sorry. Y'all overpaid, everybody knows y'all overpaid, and you're just going to have to deal with that.

EDIT: Or, alternatively: We paid Riley Nash to be our scoring #3C. He's not doing that for us, but maybe he can do it for you! Pay us all the draft picks. And a blue-chip prospect.

Whatever makes you sleep at night....:laugh:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Just gonna say he was a pretty decent 2C for the Rangers, maybe even a "Top" one for stretches. Nowadays though, trying to fetch that value for him is pretty laughable

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Whatever makes you sleep at night....:laugh:
I'm not the one trying to insist that a slowly fading but still potentially decent #3C who's nonetheless having a hopelessly awful year will bring in a #2C-level rental price out of some desperate hope that my team's bad investment will be thereby recouped and/or redeemed.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not the one trying to insist that a slowly fading but still potentially decent #3C who's nonetheless having a hopelessly awful year will bring in a #2C-level rental price out of some desperate hope that my team's bad investment will be thereby recouped and/or redeemed.

This is starting to be restraining order territory....

I've said I was done....

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is starting to be restraining order territory....

I've said I was done....
Well, you've continued to reply and make counterpoints, so you'll have to forgive me for thereby assuming that, despite your saying so, you weren't actually done. :dunno:

I was just expecting some reply along the lines of "I'm not actually selling him as a #2C" or "He is a scoring #3C; this is a misunderstanding" or something similar. I wasn't expecting doubling down on an absurd position, in which Brass is suddenly worth right now what the Pens (over)paid for him previously. I mean, it's not like the Oilers expect to get a scoring forward for Ryan Spooner, or the Blackhawks expect to get an elite superstar for Brandon Saad. So why should it be different for the Pens and Brassard?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
GM's value Brassard more than some here for sure.

The retention hurts trying to trade him for another player coming back, but if it is straight up futures he's bringing back a 1st from a contender.

Just because he's a misfit here doesn't change his value, or the fact a team is going to give him 5.5/6.0 for term next July 1st if not sooner should the team who trades for him doesn't already sign him before then if he wants to be there.

It all comes down to cap hit of the target the Pens choose or are left with from the limited trading partners. Probably 2 to 5/6 teams.

One trade that makes sense is Lowry from the Jets where he is signed for a two years more, but he's not a top six center, but the fit might be there where the cap hits are close. Pushes Little down to 3c. Depth.

This is a trade where the Pens are downgrading due to fit and will most certainly pay more for age, contract as well. There's no need for retention here though.

Jets: Brassard +conditional 3rd: Should Brassard not re-sign with the Jets they receive a 2nd and C level prospect.

for

Pens: Lowry

For a deal around Kevin Hayes... and both being UFA, and only Brassards 3.0 to Hayes 5.175 and age difference

NYR: Brassard + 3rd and 5th

for

Pens: Hayes with retention

Both players probably don't stick with current teams. I know 100% certain Brassard won't.

If it were me, I'd trade him for futures straight up and keep the late 1st and prospect, and then either replace him from within or use the Pens own assets to replace the 3c which should cost way less than a 1st. Two 1sts could come in handy this draft to move up into the high teens. Make up for the 1st and Gustavsson lost getting Brassard. One true time where they could get good assets back.

The Pens have plenty of assets to make that work.

Man, I just threw up in my mouth at the thought of that.

Lowry is FAR MORE valuable to the Jets than most realize. It’s not that I don’t like Brassard, because I do. He might be a nice secondary piece for the Jets, but anyone thinking they could get Lowry for him is out to lunch and probably doesn’t realize what Lowry means to this Jets team.

If that’s the ask, it’s a HUGE NO THANK YOU from me and likely 98% of all Jets fans.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think team X is the Oilers....Only Chia would do such a deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad