Proposal: Hayes and Skjei to Colorado

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Brutal for the Av's.

Even if in make believe land the Av's were going to trade OTT's pick there's no way there wouldn't be some sort of protection on it.
When was the last time a pick was traded in the NHL with protection?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
When was the last time a pick was traded in the NHL with protection?

Is that sarcastic....? How do you think Colorado got Ottawa’s 2019 not 2018 pick? The Blues protected their 1st for Schenn. The Jets protected their 1st for Stastny. There’s been several more recently as well.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Is that sarcastic....? How do you think Colorado got Ottawa’s 2019 not 2018 pick? The Blues protected their 1st for Schenn. The Jets protected their 1st for Stastny. There’s been several more recently as well.
Those are conditions not protections. Ottawa had the condition to pick which year the pick was going to be.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Those are conditions not protections. Ottawa had the condition to pick which year the pick was going to be.

In practical terms there is zero difference. Ottawa had the right to chose only if it was top 10. You’re bickering over semantics.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You're kidding right? :laugh:

Might be a better Offensive Dman? Skjei has yet to hit 40 points in the NHL and isn't on pace to do it again this year, Tyson Barrie has hit 50+ twice(And 49 in another year) including 57 in just 68 games last year, and this year is once again on pace to easily hit the 50+ mark, and he's actually on pace for 67 so far this year even with a very low shooting percentage for himself through the first 18 games.

Tyson Barrie is legit one of the Top 10 Offensive Dmen in the game over the last 5 seasons.

Skjei has a long, long ways to go before he even sniffs the level of offensive production Tyson Barrie has been providing consistently for half a decade now.

You bolded what I wrote, but didn't read it. Either that or you don't actually understand it.

I'll break it down for you though, this time, maybe you should actually read it.

Skjei scored 39 points as a rookie. While it's possible he never gets to that level, it's also possible that he could be a 40-50 point defender sooner than later, which is not unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. Am I saying it's going to happen? No, because I don't know what will happen and I'm not going to attempt to play Nastradmus. That's why I used the word COULD.

So instead of going on a snarkfest and getting your little Avalanche Tyson Barrie panties in a twist, how about you read and break it down and realize that I'm neither A. Prognosticating or B. Saying that Skjei is on that level or close to it right now.

Simply put, what I said is that the gap could close soon. Or he could also plateau and is a solid 30+ point two-way defender on what would still be an ok deal for him.

Either way, I highly doubt either team would do the original deal.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
In practical terms there is zero difference. Ottawa had the right to chose only if it was top 10. You’re bickering over semantics.
No... you miss spoke and are digging your heals in. Protection is a term used in other sports and something that has yet to be seen in the NHL. You are very clearly describing conditions but your ego wont let you say "yeah thats what i ment... my bad"

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
No... you miss spoke and are digging your heals in. Protection is a term used in other sports and something that has yet to be seen in the NHL. You are very clearly describing conditions but your ego wont let you say "yeah thats what i ment... my bad"
You’re the one who’s digging his *heels in here. Since the pick was in the top-10 the condition worked as protection and allowed Ottawa to choose what they wanted to do effectively providing the Avs with an unprotected pick in 2019. It has been referred to as such by the majority of the posters discussing the pick, so your argument is semantics at its finest.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

01CECFAB-D9B0-48F6-AD9B-00A41D447FDC.png

Both are used in the lexicon regrading draft picks across multiple sports.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

You are being fantastically impossible. I'm afraid I'm not going to acknowledge I am wrong on an issue I am actually correct on just to make you feel a little better about yourself today.

There is zero practical difference. Inherently, all protected picks are conditional: it is conditional (aka dependent) on some factor, e.g. the standings. Everyone and their dog knows exactly what @tgo0 meant. But you are desperate to appear as the smartest guy in the room, so here you are bickering over meaningless semantics. The 1st the Jets traded for Stastny was top 3 protected. If it was top 3, it would be automatically deferred. The pick the Blues traded to Colorado in the EJ traded was protected. If it was top 10, it would be automatically deferred. The pick the Blues traded for Schenn was protected. If it was top 10, it would be deferred. Just because the pick(s) were deferred to a following draft year if the protection kicked in did not mean that they don't classify as "protected" draft picks. This is precisely what happens in the NBA. They put a protection on a pick (e.g. if it's top 10 the team keeps their pick), and then generally have a provision it will be deferred to a specified later draft. We've certainly seen more complicated protections than in the NHL, but the fundamental base is identical.

Regarding your claim that "Protection is a term used in other sports and something that has yet to be seen in the NHL". Here is a list of credible individuals and organizations referring to NHL draft picks as "protected":

The Score headline: "Report: 1st-round pick Sens sent to Avs in Duchene deal is top-10 protected"

NHL.com, the official NHL website: "The Senators now have a possible seven picks in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft (two first round choices - one top-10 protected - along with one fourth, one fifth, one sixth and two sevenths)."

Sportsnet: "That pick, however, was top-10 protected and it gives the Sens the option to send Colorado a 2019 first-round pick instead."

Globe & Mail: "That draft choice is lottery-protected, meaning if St. Louis misses the playoffs, Calgary gets the Blues' 2014 first-rounder. If the Blues make the playoffs, then Calgary gets the pick in the upcoming draft."

Dan Rosen, NHL.com writer: "The 2019 first round pick St. Louis is sending to Buffalo in the O'Reilly trade is top 10 protected, Blues GM Doug Armstrong"

Pierre Lebrun: "Now, that first-round pick is top-10 protected which means that if they can’t salvage the season and it is indeed a top-10 pick then it becomes a 2019 first-round pick."

There are dozens of other examples I can cite as well. I've wasted more than enough time on you, but feel free to take up your crusade elsewhere, starting with the individuals who wrote all this apparent nonsense above. I'm sure they'd all have a keen appreciation for your insight.

Maybe start with Bob McKenzie on twitter. I know he's used the term "protected" before. Who knows, maybe we'll get to see him call an HFboard member an "assclown" again.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is bad for both teams. Skjei is 24 and just signed a 6 year deal, but we're going to trade him AND retain 50%? Why the hell would we retain on a good player for the next 5 1/2 years?

Mods, just lock this nonsense please.
Best post in this awful thread. Especially the bolded.

Retain 50% on Skjei for the next 1/2 decade... Genius....

OP give your head shake...

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
to Colorado
Kevin Hayes
Brady Skjei (50% retained)

To Rangers
Ottawa 1st round pick 2019
Tyson Barrie

This trade makes no sense for the rangers even if it favors them, the rangers have a lot of Rhd offensive dmen no need to trade for one and by trading skjei it slims their lhd

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
I wouldnt do this as a Rangers fan unless that Ottawa pick is like top 6-7 (which it does have a high chance of being)

Skjei is quietly turning into a 2D and is our best dman and Hayes is a good 2C
we have 0 need for Barrie and he just blocks our young dmen from coming up. Both teams are better off keeping their pieces, Avs should use that 1st and keep building toward the future, dont know why they need a rental in Hayes

Hes not even a legit top 4 guy yet hold your horses. The guy was just a healthy scratch.

Barrie might be a better offensive defender than Skjei right now but that gap could close very soon. Skjei had a bad year last year, but he's been better this year and why would the Rangers retain over 2 million on him for almost 6 years? That's insane.

Also, as stated before, there isn't a need for Barrie in NY, the Rangers already have too many of those types in the organization between players already on the team (IE: Shattenkirk, Pionk, DeAngelo) and in the organization (IE: Keane, Lundkvist, Day).

From Colorado's side, the Ottawa pick shouldn't be in play unless it's for a legitimate game breaker and Hayes is not. The Colorado pick would make it more fair, but at that point, the Rangers aren't retaining a penny on Skjei.

I don't really see a deal around this.

Maybe something around Hayes for Colorado's 1st and an ok prospect. Or maybe a 2nd and Kaut? I don't know Colorado's prospect rankings all that well, so I don't know exactly how it would look.

Barrie is better defence man as a whole. Holy hell this is awful for Colorado. Skjei is a 2nd pair dman. No way he fetches a potential top 15 pick if he's the best piece.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
My goodnesss are you desperate to be the right one. ic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Gotta love some good pedantry. Always better than actually contributing to a discussion...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You’re the one who’s digging his *heels in here. Since the pick was in the top-10 the condition worked as protection and allowed Ottawa to choose what they wanted to do effectively providing the Avs with an unprotected pick in 2019. It has been referred to as such by the majority of the posters discussing the pick, so your argument is semantics at its finest.

PS this is exactly how protection works in other sports. If the Grizzlies’ 2019 pick lands in the top 6 they will have the option to keep the 2019 pick or convey it to Boston...just like Ottawa did last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad