GDT: Hawks Vs Wings - 7:30PM CT on NBCSCH+ -- Man Dog Meets Madhouse on Maddison

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
tumblr_pfl8pmzMZW1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

The Chicago Blackhawks thought they'd make their newest blueline acquisition, Brandon Manning, a bit more comfortable around the UC by showing him the ropes. His walk to the stadium involved several near misses, where cars had to make quick swerves in an attempt to avoid Manning who was so excited to be a Blackhawk, that he kept running into traffic. A common trait with overexcited dogs.

tumblr_pfl8reO8ii1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

The organization then had an autograph signing for him held in the team store at the UC. Nobody showed up, except for those mannequins near the doors. And by showed up, I mean that they never left. Because their mannequins. And if you ever saw one walking around, then you should run like hell in the opposite direction.

tumblr_pfl8tcGCRj1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

The team also showed him the offices at the United Center, surely because he'll one day be hired on in some role with the organization like every other former Hawk. He kept thinking the railings were fancy European style benches with super thin seating. He fell backwards and onto the lower level shortly after this image was taken, but Hawks brass didn't mind much. They didn't want to hop back on the elevator with him anyhow because he kept pressing every button when they were first in the elevator with him.

You can hopefully (NOT) catch Brandon Manning tonight against the Wings at 7:30pm Central on NBCSCH+.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As the preseason winds down, Manning had better show a helluva lot more than what we witnessed from him last week. He showed limited ability from what I saw and I am not confident that he can be a contributor.

On another note: Will Q give Fortin a fair look or has he already made up his mind that he will be in RFD to begin this season?

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As the preseason winds down, Manning had better show a helluva lot more than what we witnessed from him last week. He showed limited ability from what I saw and I am not confident that he can be a contributor.

On another note: Will Q give Fortin a fair look or has he already made up his mind that he will be in RFD to begin this season?

If he can play like he did in the 1st period he is fine but he was horrendous during the 2nd and 3rd.

I would like Q to roll these lines but I know he won't. It is common sense but he just refuses.

20-19-12
VE-8-88
24-15-95
64-16-40
29-62-14

Kampf has looked good but I think he will get screwed by Q not putting him on the wing with Kruger and Hayden because Kunitz will get time. Kunitz has not looked bad but he will get "vet" time with Q. I would like for Johnson, Fortin, and other youth to get looks this year.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
@BobbyJet

I’d give Fortin a look.

Saad-Toews-DeBrincat
Fortin-Schmaltz-Kane
Kunitz-Anisimov-Sikura
Kampf-Kruger-Hayden
Martinsen

I am sorry but playing Fortin in the top 6 makes very little sense. He score 4 goals in 53 games last season in the AHL. I would like to see him get time in the bottom 6 but he should not be in the top 6.

I get the "speed on the forecheck" idea but he is not skilled enough to play in the top 6.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I am sorry but playing Fortin in the top 6 makes very little sense. He score 4 goals in 53 games last season in the AHL. I would like to see him get time in the bottom 6 but he should not be in the top 6.

I get the "speed on the forecheck" idea but he is not skilled enough to play in the top 6.

Fair enough. Swap him with Sikura then.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I could get on board with that.

I would play a bigger shooter with 8/88 but that is just me.

AHL numbers aside, I’ve always liked Fortin’s game so I’d give him first shot at a top 9 role and let Edjsell start in Rockford. If Fortin doesn’t produce then he can be swapped for VE who can play with 8/88. I agree with you about Kane playing with a bigger forward to go to the net and create space. Edjsell skating is the knock for me.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I could get on board with that.

I would play a bigger shooter with 8/88 but that is just me.

I’m fine with Anisimov being that bigger forward, but on the wing so Schmaltz can continue to develop at center.

According to the Powers and Lazerus podcast, Anisimov convinced he won’t be sharing any center duties with Schmaltz.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m fine with Anisimov being that bigger forward, but on the wing so Schmaltz can continue to develop at center.

According to the Powers and Lazerus podcast, Anisimov convinced he won’t be sharing any center duties with Schmaltz.

So....he will be centering another line, or playing wing on Schmaltz line, or playing center on Schmaltz line, with Schmaltz on wing? What does that even mean? :laugh:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So....he will be centering another line, or playing wing on Schmaltz line, or playing center on Schmaltz line, with Schmaltz on wing? What does that even mean? :laugh:

I want Anisimov on the wing, the beat guys are saying Anisimov is convinced he'll be centering Schmaltz and Kane.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
AHL numbers aside, I’ve always liked Fortin’s game so I’d give him first shot at a top 9 role and let Edjsell start in Rockford. If Fortin doesn’t produce then he can be swapped for VE who can play with 8/88. I agree with you about Kane playing with a bigger forward to go to the net and create space. Edjsell skating is the knock for me.

The AHL number can't be ignore though. I like Fortin but lets be realistic about him. VE provides a big body and has a really good shot, this meshes with 8/88's skill sets. Both 8 and 88 and go east west as well as they can go north south.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Will Q give Fortin a fair shot????

He's here, and not in Rockford, that is more than fair to a guy who couldn't score 5 goals in the AHL last year. Still don't get some peoples infatuation with him.

Fortin has a skill set that is when you watch him in training camp. His production last season did not match his skill set imo. I personally think he needs another year in the AHL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Fortin has a skill set that is when you watch him in training camp. His production last season did not match his skill set imo. I personally think he needs another year in the AHL.
He has speed, can't finish, and isn't very good defensively.

And yes, he absolutely needs more time in the AHL, at least prove there that you can score 20Gs before playing in the NHL.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He has speed, can't finish, and isn't very good defensively.

And yes, he absolutely needs more time in the AHL, at least prove there that you can score 20Gs before playing in the NHL.

Anything to back up the defensive comment? Numbes, etc. He seems ok defensively but I am not sure what the number show.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The reasons Schmaltz is not at centre "developing":

1.Q is on the hot seat. ..cannot afford to "rely" on "developing" players that cannot do the job.

2.Schmaltz bring offensive creativity and neutral zone speedcforctake-aways and angling offs on closing to check....HOWEVER he cannot be trusted in the C -role in the d-zone...his d-zone reads and anticipation a tee pyre cap. ..so he either loses his check or cannot bust up the passing through the lanes...he is reacting and slow to realize who he should be checking..and even if he gets there in time to check,lacks the physical will to shove guys off the puck ...all the things hood d-zone defending centers are required to do..I have seen zero improvement in the work of dchmaltz in the d'zone...Maybe he "develops" these necessary traits with more experience or maybe he just can never adapt his game to the level Q trusts in the d-zone from his centers ... BUT the point is Q is not going to risk his job with Dchmaltz at C with a lot yet to "develop" in defending his own n zone...Q cannot afford to wait on this. .
So Dchmaltz back to the wing ...

3.Face'offs...Q cannot trust Schmaltz to win draws...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad