GDT: Hawks Vs Leafs - 6PM CT on NBCSCHI and NHLN-US -- Oh Captain, My Captain! (not the mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
His return to the ice and return to form are even more of a question mark than Forsling and Murphy IMHO

That may be true, but it does appear that he is going to play this year. No one is arguing that this team is currently great or a contender, just that it is to early to make up our mind on what this team can or can't be. A big part of that is tied to Crow. Crow coming back could change things a and has to be mentioned. It raises the ceiling of this team a great deal. I get the reasons to be skeptical, and I'm certainly not sure what to expect when he returns, but I don't think you can discount it out of hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yea, if it really is vertigo, Crow's career is over. But 2 players with vertigo on the same team? Seems odd as it's not a common ailment.

None of us are doctors or privy to actual facts regarding Crows health, but Jonas Hiller had vertigo and came back and played 4-5 more seasons. I just don't know how you can make a definitive statement like that.

Last edited:

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
None of us our doctors or privy to actual facts regarding Crows health, but Jonas Hiller had vertigo and came back and played 4-5 more seasons. I just don't know how you can make a definitive statement like that.
Just my opinion. As long as he has been out doesn't bode well for a full recovery and return to his former playing shape is all I'm saying. I hope I'm 100% wrong though.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Just my opinion. As long as he has been out doesn't bode well for a full recovery and return to his former playing shape is all I'm saying. I hope I'm 100% wrong though.

Guys miss entire seasons all the time... torn ligaments end a guy's season each year, and they come back 10 months later and are fine. No one can definitively say what Crow will or won't look like when he comes back...

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm not sure how you could actually watch the games this year and think this.

Keith is top pair. Joker and Seabs are between top pair and middle pair(based on their play so far). Call them both 3's for now. Forsling can probably be a solid #4, as can Murphy, though coming off an injury, he's probably more a solid #5. Gus is a good #5 or #6.

He's 110% still a top pairing D. Just not Norris caliber.

Can you go through the NHL rosters and find 60 D better than him?
With this qualifier...maybe. But right now this year we've got far too small of a sample size to judge. I mean, Joker's been outplaying Keith so far in virtually every respect...but I won't slot him a 1. Further, Hedman and Karlsson--two guy's I'd take over Keith right now in a heartbeat, have looked worse.

Even if Keith is a #2 though he shouldn't be run roughshod...ditto on Seabs. Q unfortunately is doing that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
With this qualifier...maybe. But right now this year we've got far too small of a sample size to judge. I mean, Joker's been outplaying Keith so far in virtually every respect...but I won't slot him a 1. Further, Hedman and Karlsson--two guy's I'd take over Keith right now in a heartbeat, have looked worse.

Even if Keith is a #2 though he shouldn't be run roughshod...ditto on Seabs. Q unfortunately is doing that.

Definitely. I slotted him around a 3 because I'm taking into account the small sample size. If Joker plays this way for an entire season with few hiccups, then I'd be more than willing to call him a top pair defender.

And yeah, I wasn't saying that Keith is a #1 anymore. But he's 110% a top pairing D still, which was my only argument. There are not 60 D in the NHL that are currently better than him.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Guys miss entire seasons all the time... torn ligaments end a guy's season each year, and they come back 10 months later and are fine. No one can definitively say what Crow will or won't look like when he comes back...
Yea, I understand that. But when it comes to the brain, it's not as simple as a ligament or muscle. Those injuries tend to heal faster than a long term brain injury. Some players have had a number of concussions and have come back rather quickly, Toews and Crosby as an example. Crow has been out for this long makes me wonder if there isn't something more serious than just a concussion.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wetting was less than the liquid feces from Ward.
I reckon the Leafs would have scored in the double digits last night had the Forsberg we saw last season been between the pipes for Chicago. He probably would have been pulled actually before it got to that, but he had better be a whole lot better when he does get the call .... and going forward.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I reckon the Leafs would have scored in the double digits last night had the Forsberg we saw last season been between the pipes for Chicago. He probably would have been pulled actually before it got to that, but he had better be a whole lot better when he does get the call and going forward.
Currently the bar has been set very, very low. Really nothing to lose for trying.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Currently the bar has been set very, very low. Really nothing to lose for trying.

Last I looked Hawks were undefeated in regulation time... and timely saves in front of an atrocious defensive team game have been a factor in that. Please don't throw any numbers around to try and make a point. The number of 10-bell chances against have been off the chart in all 3 games.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
"... The Blackhawks are going to be a very bad team this year. Any move that tries to artificially make them better at the expense of the future would be a complete waste of assets and would really get in the way of long term success

Don't bail just yet xTI - tho a week ago I woulda been in 100% agreement. If Forsling gets back same time Crow does, the outlook IS different. This of course assumes both hit the ground running which may be unrealistic.

I'm concerned both may rush it - jock mentality - and that could blow up in everybody's faces.
Time will tell of course ...

PS - Also the Q factor e.g. keeping ManDOG in the top 4 AND paired w/ Seabrook as well as his Kunitz / Martinsen fixation.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
This is still not a guarantee. I think they'll surprise most people, and have been saying it for a few weeks now. Especially when Forsling, Murphy, and Crow are all back healthy...

I wouldn't count on Murphy til after New Year's Day - if then. Back surgery iffy at best & tho the dude grew on me (was a ginormous Hjalmarsson guy so kinda didn't give him a chance off the bat), Murphy no speedster to begin with.

Would welcome being wrong of course tho ...
GoHawks.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I wouldn't count on Murphy til after New Year's Day - if then. Back surgery iffy at best & tho the guy grew on me (was a ginormous Hjalmarsson guy so kinda didn't give him a chance off the bat), Murphy no speedster to begin with.

Would welcome being wrong of course tho ...
GoHawks.

His initial timetable puts him back mid December.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
well, there is a likely scenario that Panarin gets moved at the deadline, I would really like it to be us that he gets dealt too...

The day on of CBJ's Dmen sucker punched out Teuvo I became a anti-Lumbus fan - tho I do get a kick outta Torts. That said, I'm cheering them on to be in the playoff hunt so they DON'T deal Panarin.

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I reckon the Leafs would have scored in the double digits last night had the Forsberg we saw last season been between the pipes for Chicago. He probably would have been pulled actually before it got to that, but he had better be a whole lot better when he does get the call .... and going forward.

Nothing suggests this. The most goals he gave up was 5.
In fact, he only gave up 4 goals on 43 shots against the Leafs last season. Only difference is John Tavares was added.

Edit: wrong quote

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
We’ve seen better games from Forsberg than anything we’ve seen from Cam Ward so far so that is a weird statement to make. Forsberg’s problem has always been consistency.

Edit - at least here. I can’t really speak much about him before he got here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Watched the game while drinking with the father in law (Leafs fan). Once Toronto scored to go up 6-5 I said it was over, he said, not against Toronto it's not, boy was he right. What a game.

We really need Crawford back, badly.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
... And regarding Manning and Q not having a choice but to sit him, do you need to be reminded of guys that also deserved sitting like Rozsival, Handzus, Runblad, many others? Q doesn’t always go by who deserves playing time ...

Doubt I'll ever forget Q healthy scratching Vermette & Teravainen in the semis. That's when I gave up trying to understand his hockey logic.

But yes ... 3 Cups t/y t/y t/y oh mustachioed one. No sarc either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad