GDT: Hawks Vs Leafs - 6PM CT on NBCSCHI and NHLN-US -- Oh Captain, My Captain! (not the mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Forsling wasn't sent to Rockford because he disappointed Q. :laugh:

He was sent to Rockford to get consistent time and to log more minutes on the top pairing down there. Something he wasn't getting in the NHL with the Hawks.

And if Manning continues to be hot garbage(he actually wasn't terrible last night) then Q won't have a choice but to sit him out for better options.

If you believe that Manning playing less minutes(even if in the lineup) isn't a good thing... IDK what to say.
So Q sent him down because he wasn’t getting top 4 minutes in the NHL. So what makes you think Q will think he deserves top 4 minutes now, and does Forsling actually deserve top 4 minutes?

And regarding Manning and Q not having a choice but to sit him, do you need to be reminded of guys that also deserved sitting like Rozsival, Handzus, Runblad, many others? Q doesn’t always go by who deserves playing time and I have no faith he will change his ways. He always has a few slugs he keeps in the lineup.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not sure how you could actually watch the games this year and think this.

Keith is top pair. Joker and Seabs are between top pair and middle pair(based on their play so far). Call them both 3's for now. Forsling can probably be a solid #4, as can Murphy, though coming off an injury, he's probably more a solid #5. Gus is a good #5 or #6.
I love Joker, but I'm being realistic. I don't expect a 19 year old to be a top 4 for a legit title contender. However, he'll be a legit top pairing in a couple of years.

I don't know about Seabs. He's a lot better than last year ... but that's a low bar. Could he play the Oduya role on a title contender? Perhaps ... but that means having a Norris level DMen (Keith), a legit #1 stay home DMen (Jay Marson), and Mr. Clutch Seabrook of yester year. I'll give you Seabrook at #4.5 right now. He's had issues along with some wins. As a #4, I rather have no wins, but no issues as well ... kind of like Oduya.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He's 110% still a top pairing D. Just not Norris caliber.

Can you go through the NHL rosters and find 60 D better than him?

I guess not, but I look at it more as an archetype than a ranking of what’s out there. Still, I also like your optimism but Keith, I’m still not sure how much of a positive impact he is making out there, will be more clear when CC gets back (if he is still elite).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Same here, never got into Wahlstrom, Tkachuk or Hughes, always wanted Boqvist if we could get him and also surprised he slipped to us.
I really didn't look into Boqvist until it became possible that he'd be available when the Hawks picked. I thought for sure he was going top 5. I was more into Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Hughes because I thought they'd be there when the Hawks picked. I didn't think that Boqvist would get past Ottawa, Arizona and Detroit. Boqvist and Zadina falling to 8 and 6 respectively was really weird.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He's 110% still a top pairing D. Just not Norris caliber.

Can you go through the NHL rosters and find 60 D better than him?
We have to be careful. Legit top pairing for legit title contenders.

That said, Keith is still a top pairing. He's not the #1 on a legit title contender though. Those guys are Norris Trophy Calibre.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I really didn't look into Boqvist until it became possible that he'd be available when the Hawks picked. I thought for sure he was going top 5. I was more into Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Hughes because I thought they'd be there when the Hawks picked. I didn't think that Boqvist would get past Ottawa, Arizona and Detroit. Boqvist and Zadina falling to 8 and 6 respectively was really weird.

The Hayton and Kotkaniemi picks really threw everything off. When AB is leading this defense, we know who to thank.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The Hayton and Kotkaniemi picks really threw everything off. When AB is leading this defense, we know who to thank.
Yeah really. I thought Kotkaniemi and Hayton were more likely to be there at 8 than Boqvist. In most sports, you just have to go with BPA and deal with the logjam later.
If I was picking, it would have gone this way
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Wahlstrom
6. Tkachuk
7.Hughes
Which would have left the Hawks with Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Bouchard, and Dobson as the best available players.
Of those, I probably would have gone with Kotkaniemi, but I wouldn't have been complaining about Dobson or Bouchard. The fact that both Wahlstrom and Boqvist were sitting there for the Hawks at 8, was surprising to say the least and I wouldn't have complained had they gone Wahlstrom.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Boqvist has a lot of skill, but he needs to gain about 20 pounds of muscle to be effective in the NHL. He might take a bit longer to develop as his body still needs to catch up with his skill.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Boqvist has a lot of skill, but he needs to gain about 20 pounds of muscle to be effective in the NHL. He might take a bit longer to develop as his body still needs to catch up with his skill.

Does he have more opportunity to do that on the side this year in the OHL or is it just hockey only during the season?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Swapping Gus/Rutta+ Manning for Forsling+Murphy of course makes the team better than what they are right now. But what they are right now is a team giving up 5 goals a game. So...ok bring on 42 and 5. The Hawks still won't be anything better than a bubble team. It's absolutely laughable to think anything can happen and they might surprise with a Cup win or even a deep playoff run.

Again, we've all seen great Hawks teams the last 9 years. This team isn't great yet. We have half of a Stanley Cup roster, not a full one. The prospects need more time.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Until they prove otherwise, I look at Gus and Forsling as about the same. Both can be effective on offense, sometimes they even surprise, but the defensive gaffes are too frequent. Ops players know that pressure on the forecheck will exploit them both. Hopefully with time and some good coaching, each will improve and be more an asset than a liability.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Swapping Gus/Rutta+ Manning for Forsling+Murphy of course makes the team better than what they are right now. But what they are right now is a team giving up 5 goals a game. So...ok bring on 42 and 5. The Hawks still won't be anything better than a bubble team. It's absolutely laughable to think anything can happen and they might surprise with a Cup win or even a deep playoff run.

Again, we've all seen great Hawks teams the last 9 years. This team isn't great yet. We have half of a Stanley Cup roster, not a full one. The prospects need more time.

You didn't mention Crow, which of course is the biggest potential upgrade (no sure thing obviously) going forward.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
It might've been you too CS. I can't remember but we all were driving the bus. The NHL draft thread and the Boqvist thread are fun reads.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdSteel2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad