GDT: Hawks Vs Leafs - 6PM CT on NBCSCHI and NHLN-US -- Oh Captain, My Captain! (not the mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
tumblr_pg7qabP7dV1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

tumblr_pg7qciIG5z1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

tumblr_pg7qdxrSEf1w8vvh3o1_1280.png

Toews tearing shit up. We're 4th in the entire league as of the last time I checked the standings (midnight central). Let's hope for more of the same, but you know, with a lot less turnovers.

GDT theme brought to you by a guy who didn't plan anything, watched SNL instead of doing late night work on a theme, and was like "I should post something at the very least". Please volunteer....

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Leafs are reeling, Andersen is playing like crap and their Dcore is pretty bad right now.

This is a winnable game if our defense can play solidly enough.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Leafs are reeling, Andersen is playing like crap and their Dcore is pretty bad right now.

This is a winnable game if our defense can play solidly enough.

Didn't see tonight's game, but Andersen was very good in their first game of the season.

I agree their D has been pretty loose though. Ours is too.

Should make for a fun high scoring game.

And now that I've said that, somebody is going to win 1-0 in a shootout.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Time to give Fiddy some props. We made fun of Fiddy when he continually questioned Toews' off season workout habits / Q's Country Club. Perhaps he was on to something. Toews is noticeably quicker due to his off season training regiment.

I don't think Toews is a fluke. Obviously, the goals won't continue ... but Toews is all over the place. He's dominating the puck again. Let's hope Toews finally figured it out and his renaissance continues into his mid 30s. That would only makes one terrible contract in Seabrook. That makes rebuilding far easier.

If Crow returns, Joker / Boqvist are top DMen, draft well next year, and the Hawks sign a top UFA forward ... 2019 looks really promising.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Time to give Fiddy some props. We made fun of Fiddy when he continually questioned Toews' off season workout habits / Q's Country Club. Perhaps he was on to something. Toews is noticeably quicker due to his off season training regiment.

Nah, Fiddy was trashing Toews time/effort in his off-season workouts which is bogus. Nothing suggests Toews worked out harder this off-season, merely that he worked out differently. He changed his priorities from strength to leaning down for speed and talked about adjusting his playstyle for the new, faster NHL as well.

He may have trained smarter, there's nothing to suggest he wasn't working just as hard on the wrong things in previous seasons. That's not an effort issue, that's a philosophy issue. I guess we could accuse him of being stupid if we wanted to be harsh, but that's a far cry from being disinterested, or lazy, or having a 'country club' attitude or whatever other BS.

Reactions: Fortyfives

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
What do you mean nothing suggests Toes worked out harder this off-season?

There were plenty of media reports that he dropped weight and changed his work-out program to get faster!

But conditioning and speed were only half his problem. ..
His Want/Hunger/Attitude/Interest....
whatever you wish to call it....has returned from the Country Club cheque-cashing mode where it was parked force seasons...Combined with the speed return this re-invented WILL has brought him back to the "normal" we expected ...forcing ...escaping ...driving the play ...on his guy...winning the puck..not letting himself get "handled"...no longer watching but doing. The guy we gave $10.5 to...pf course his hot shooting %will cool back..but if he just keeps up the normal passes the eye test driving force play ...driving his line and not letting fans make excuses that he needs help ..that HE must be the vest player on his line not others ...if he continues that kind of play. ..then no complaints about him..We have to see the TRY like in these first 2 games...scoring or not..just put in the Hard Work and no one will criticize....but he cannot go back to slacker County try Club play. The eye test knows.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Anyway back to the Leafs at the Hawks...

I ewas going to call it a massacre. ..after all the mighty Leafs with super duper "stars" Tavares Mathews and Marne and with good players like Kari ...so deep up the middle...must be licking their chops against pur porous team defense and Cam Ward...They must be itching to get on the pp against our woeful pk...it should be by all accounts ts a massacre for them against us ..17-2 ...I am sure they will cone in firing on all cylinders...but apparently the designated Cup Champs by the Centre of the Hockey Universe (Toronto media and Leafs Nation) appear to have some defensive and goaltending issues themselves. .

So do we instead light up Garrett Sparks?Or do we let this AHL goalie shut us down? Can Ward win a back to back without letting gain a bundle ...which he will anyway ..but the bottom line is ...can we outscore them?

Can we last long enough to get to another OT and win the 3rd phoney game in a row?

Will Brandon Saad finally show up and make some difference?Will Kahun start scoring ?

I hope Q puts in Hayden...if not he is an idiot.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I am enjoying the fact that we are 2-0 but looking at the talent, special teams, and coaching I am not buying too much into it. Remember last season after 2 games? We looked awesome, way better then this season, and then things went down the tubes.

Enjoying it for what its worth but also being realistic, going to take a lot longer to convince me. Saying that I like our chances in the home opener. Lets keep it going

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nah, Fiddy was trashing Toews time/effort in his off-season workouts which is bogus. Nothing suggests Toews worked out harder this off-season, merely that he worked out differently. He changed his priorities from strength to leaning down for speed and talked about adjusting his playstyle for the new, faster NHL as well.

He may have trained smarter, there's nothing to suggest he wasn't working just as hard on the wrong things in previous seasons. That's not an effort issue, that's a philosophy issue. I guess we could accuse him of being stupid if we wanted to be harsh, but that's a far cry from being disinterested, or lazy, or having a 'country club' attitude or whatever other BS.

It still sounds like a bunch of excuses though. It's only 2 games in, Toews has played well and has been rewarded for it. Hopefully, as ops players and teams find their stride that continues.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am enjoying the fact that we are 2-0 but looking at the talent, special teams, and coaching I am not buying too much into it. Remember last season after 2 games? We looked awesome, way better then this season, and then things went down the tubes.

Enjoying it for what its worth but also being realistic, going to take a lot longer to convince me. Saying that I like our chances in the home opener. Lets keep it going

Hopefully, that reality doesn't kick in tonight.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Harry Joker vs. Tavares, Marner, Matthews, etc.

This will be a learning experience for him. I suspect he'll still have his moments though. The kid is good.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Leafs will be angry they lost last night to Ottawa...Bans will be ripping them for giving up 5 goals...they will be motivated..The great Johnny T (their
JT) had zero points last night...our Jonny T had the hat last night...so their JT will want to show ours up...in addition they will be kicking their chops to get past our porous stick check waive defenders and our dradful pk ...But hold on. ..we will could terms with the great Kruger and Anisimov who will be actually able to shine against their own porous defending...

We cannot expect Toews shooting %continue to be so efficient...

So it probably cones down to if they stop Kane or we stop Marner better...they will be handles for both respective d-corps.

Another tipping point might be if Saad emerges from his funk or not....at some point we absolutely need that $6.0 to help us win instead of being a no-show .

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
So I know Courtney will also be at the game tonight...anybody else going? I got standing room only tickets so I’ll be by one of the bars all night if anyone wants to meet up and chat/have a beer. Let me know. Go Hawks.

I’m super excited to see #28 in person.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Toews is producing and the team is winning. Front office acknowledged he is the straw that stirs the drink last year. Hopefully this continues and the Hawks continue to grind out points while Crawford, Murphy and Forsling get healthy. It's also time to get Hayden in the lineup and bench Martinsen. Get another win tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->