GDT: Hawks Vs Jackets - 7PM CT on WGN/NHLN -- Kunitz Visits Retirement Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would tell players to shoot 75% of the time on a 2-on-1. How often does the pass get broken up or it jumps at the last second? At least if you shoot you can score or set up a rebound. I wonder if any stats have been looked at for passing versus shooting.
Which is exactly why the coaching staff needs to somehow impress on Schmaltz how much his pass-first habit is hurting the team and his game; and what's worse is the whole league knows what to expect from him. It's not only on 2 on 1's where a player like him tries to force a pass rather than getting the puck to the blue paint. Like I said, it's a habit, and it's obviously hard to break.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No. Crawford will be on the IR and Forsberg will be their "injury callup". Assuming Crawford plays this season. Which is a pretty big assumption, at this point. They will not lose Forsberg.
He has to pass through waivers. It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone could make a claim on him at that point. And yes, obviously it won't happen until Crow comes back.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hard to learn anything from last night's win...that was not the real CBJ...mostly their "B" squad of Ahlersand nobodies with just a very few NHL roster players
..We could should had 8-9 goals but only cashed in the 4 ...A good Depp talent team would have destroyed that CBJ squad by 12-0 ...BUT we are what we are...

Line is the most consistent and best exciting line as a fit to their role...they dominate tomebinvtgebo-zone but unfortunately are not gifted with much scoring ability for time spent in there.. You love their work effort and pick dominance but they just do not best goalies as often as a line with that much o-zone presence should... Bit it is hard to complain..they fit their 4th line role...physical
..hits...o-zone time munching and wear down the pops. .I our top 2 lines could duplicate the hustle and will of our 4th line then with their scoring g talent they would be starring and be in top scoring amongst best top 2 lines in the league. .but alas they are not consistent ..and do not put in the work and purpose as does purv4th line
.so you get both individuals and whole lines having too many off shifts, periods or games...They fail to max put their roles ...we need top scoring from.our top 3 lines..we do not get enough of that from them...But it is what it is...There of course will be good games from both individuals and whole lines from the top 3 lines. .but the totality leaves us wanting more...they may be good sometimes..but greatness us far away from them. And so we will pale in comparison to other teams with top 2 lines that are actually great

The 3rd line of Kunitz AA and Kamp ...will chip in the off goal ..but hardly scares the oops. Love Kamp and his competence velvet but he has no ability to finish or beat goalies much

Kunitz does not scare anyone either. .

And every 5th or 5th game AA will chip in with a goal

But overall line 3 scares nobody.

Bottom.linevis we need another top scoring (goals) forward..Sikura was the IF hope in this regard ..but failed to impress and is in Rockford instead. .so 1 scoring winger is MIA.. without it 3rd line will not score enough...and 0n line #1 (Toes )line it puts even more pressure on Kahn to come up big..if he cannot then we are truly not going to score enough to keep up with the Jones in our neighborhood (Central) and we shall not be able to win enough.

We either needed line to be more of a scoring threat or we need line #2 to be GREAT ...Which is hard to conceive ...that line #1 can be scarey good..If they are merely "ok"...that will not be good enough if line #3 cannot provide enough offense to go with a merely good line #1 (of they are even thay).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He has to pass through waivers. It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone could make a claim on him at that point. And yes, obviously it won't happen until Crow comes back.

Injury call ups are waiver exempt. When/if Crawford is healthy, his "emergency replacement" can be sent back down without being exposed to waivers. Forsberg is Crawford's injury replacement as of now.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I would tell players to shoot 75% of the time on a 2-on-1. How often does the pass get broken up or it jumps at the last second? At least if you shoot you can score or set up a rebound. I wonder if any stats have been looked at for passing versus shooting.

I was always taught (as a defenseman), that if there's no passing lane, the carrier will shoot. Your goal was to make them shoot. Makes it a limited 1-on-1 with the goalie and you're there to pick up the man/rebound.

Most times, there's not a good pass. I agree with the 75/25% shot/pass ratio. It still blows my mind that nhl players will try to force that pass.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Injury call ups are waiver exempt. When/if Crawford is healthy, his "emergency replacement" can be sent back down without being exposed to waivers. Forsberg is Crawford's injury replacement as of now.
That's not how it works.
If Crawford is fully healthy, the Hawks will have Crawford and Ward. You can send Forsberg down on a conditioning stint without waivers, bit be would have no reason for that if he's getting backup duty leading up to it.

If they want Forsberg playing games in the AHL, they have to send him through waivers. If he passes and goes to the Hawks at a future date as an injury call up, then you can keep him up as an emergency goalie.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Then my guess is that the Hawks do not expect Crawford back any time soon, if at all.

I could have sworn Forsberg was still a waiver exempt player.

Last edited:

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
One would think that the team has built enough of a base and amassed enough goodwill that they would be able to get a full house with a downturn, but last year I started getting late emails about tickets being available for games which I don't recall getting much the prior 8-9 years, the Bulls have filled the place for 20 years post dynasty despite being mostly mediocre to bad and the Bears were filling the place until the last few years when five figure no shows became common. While I doubt they will go anywhere near back to the levels of the dark ages, it seems fans in Detroit, Nashville and other cities may be proven right.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
We're not in Canada. The big difference IMO would be the business/corporate draw not buying in bulk first level for partners/clients/etc. I've been to a few games in great seats courtesy of friends who worked for companies that had partnerships with the hawks. Winning plays a big role in that stuff whereas in a market like Toronto the draw is huge for the big spenders regardless of the quality on ice.

But, IMO with price reductions they'd pack the house as the fanbase is pretty big. The only drawback possibly being game day traffic/logistics of all the suburban fans who do the long drives or train rides.

I lived a few blocks away from the UC during the cup years and if I had spare cash I'd wait until prices drop 10 minutes before game time on stubhub...and I'm talkin' third level to standing rooms. I saw a lot of games once I felt the price was in my ball park.

So, when they say "look at those empty seats" the first reply should be "look at those prices." If they're willing to move down on face value to market value they'd still sell out IMO.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think they expect him back around game 10-20. I don't think they care about Forsberg.

Well Crawford still isn't seeing any real shots higher than his knees in "practice", so 10-20 games in is about as optimistic as you could possibly be. I think you're 100% wrong about Forsberg and I see him as the STARTER no later than game #10.

P.S. Crawford still looks awful from what I have seen. I don't think he saved a single one of Sikura's shootout attempts in the drill I watched.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even if the sellout streak ends, the UC will still probably be about 95% full on the slow nights. They won't be bleeding money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad