GDT: Hawks vs Avs | 7 PM | Tuesday | Complain About Talbot in this Thread

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Malone is a 4th liner... if those players are having an impact on the game it is usually for the negative or they are in a fight.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't mean only on the scoresheet. I don't think he's tough to play against. I think Cliche makes more of an impact than he does.

Not even stating on the scoresheet. If they can play ~8 minutes and not give up more goals than they score, I am completely thrilled with a 4th line. I could care less if they are 'soft.'

I don't think Malone is soft though, I remember one big hit he had in the third.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Not even stating on the scoresheet. If they can play ~8 minutes and not give up more goals than they score, I am completely thrilled with a 4th line. I could care less if they are 'soft.'

I don't think Malone is soft though, I remember one big hit he had in the third.

I don't think he's soft, but he could be more active and engaged. I like my fourth liners to be worker bees that just frustrate the other team's offense and get the puck deep.

I'll say this though, I think he's got a lot more to give. I just haven't been impressed yet.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Malone had a real good preseason, I think he scored at least twice and I'm pretty sure one was a GWG. Cliche has played decent too. Both players bring something to the team.

Cliche is a good 13th forward, but he doesn't bring much other than PK ability though. Which is fine on the 4th line.

Malone though should be a lot more and I'd say was pretty decent too. He didn't get many chances to show off, but he seemed like he should get a few more games to at least showcase himself some.

I still want Malone on the 3rd line over Mitchell, but if our 3rd line is going to be McLeod + Talbot on the wings, I don't care if Mitchell centers them or if Malone does tbh. When we've got McGinn and MacKinnon there, Malone or McLeod need to be on the wing over Mitchell.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
No one is probably reading this anymore, but I was at the Can last night, and although there were a lot of Chicago fans, they had nothing to cheer for. Except once. But it wasn't bad at all -- whenever the Let's Go Hawks started, it was matched by (let's go) Avs. Maybe just because I was in 3rd level last night. But I was happy enough about it.

I do think among the midwest teams who have tons of fans here (St Louis Detroit Chicago), I see the most mixed groups of Chicago fans. ie, a group of friends, or boyfriend/girlfriend, in both Avs and Hawks jerseys.

It still kind of peeves me that people flee their ****** midwestern towns and enjoy the sheer awesomeness of CO, but still act traitorous at sporting events. Pick one or the other ...

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Speaking of 4th liners...I know people are mixed about him, but I think Bordeleau has been real good the last few games...he's been hitting everything in sight and hes made really smart plays with the puck. He's obvious never gonna be anything but an enforcer, but I feel pretty comfortable with him on the ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Speaking of 4th liners...I know people are mixed about him, but I think Bordeleau has been real good the last few games...he's been hitting everything in sight and hes made really smart plays with the puck. He's obvious never gonna be anything but an enforcer, but I feel pretty comfortable with him on the ice.

Bordy plays his role better than you can expect from pretty much anyone. People have finally come around to the idea he's a good skater, but he's still underrated in his puck handling, and defensive ability. It's not mind-blowing, but it's quite good relative to what you'd expect from a 6'6" 225 lb 4th liner.

He does a very good job protecting the puck too, and winning battles for the puck, and making smart decisions with it in the offensive zone. These are things most 4th liners don't do that well, but him and McLeod are pretty good at it, and they actually feed off each other very well. Plus he's not a hot head, doesn't take bad penalties, and doesn't act like a neanderthal out there. It's actually surprising how in check he keeps his emotions. He never even really seems that mad, he just enjoys playing his role.

There really is no reason to scratch him, pretty much ever, unless his play takes a dip. It's been surprisingly consistent though for the last year plus.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Bordy plays his role better than you can expect from pretty much anyone. People have finally come around to the idea he's a good skater, but he's still underrated in his puck handling, and defensive ability. It's not mind-blowing, but it's quite good relative to what you'd expect from a 6'6" 225 lb 4th liner.

He does a very good job protecting the puck too, and winning battles for the puck, and making smart decisions with it in the offensive zone. These are things most 4th liners don't do that well, but him and McLeod are pretty good at it, and they actually feed off each other very well. Plus he's not a hot head, doesn't take bad penalties, and doesn't act like a neanderthal out there. It's actually surprising how in check he keeps his emotions. He never even really seems that mad, he just enjoys playing his role.

There really is no reason to scratch him, pretty much ever, unless his play takes a dip. It's been surprisingly consistent though for the last year plus.

Agreed, he's fairly safe and effective in his role and never seems to stray from what he's supposed to do out there.

I get the impression Bordeleau knows his role but doesn't actually love fighting the way some guys do. He fights when he needs to be but a few times I can only describe his facial expression as resigned to the situation. E.g. when he fought Thornton. I think this attitude contributes to him not acting like an idiot out there. He mostly just wants to play hockey.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He's not bad but I think we could get more out of someone else taking his spot. If not permanently then at least for a few games here and there. Why just accept the bare minimum and the fact that Bordeleau isn't a liability when you can play someone who might be better defensively, a better skater, and better in the offensive zone? I think Malone does all of those things better than Bordeleau. I also don't agree with the people who are saying Malone isn't physical. He has been physical every time I've seen him play. He started off physical against the Hawks as well but maybe he toned it down a bit after he got called for the BS boarding penalty.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

I have no issues with Bordy and actually like him a lot. I will say that while I like him, sometimes I think we could use a more skilled guy against teams where we really dont need an enforcer.

Personally I would have no problems with McLeod - Mitchell - Cliche against smaller teams and bring Bords in for the bigger teams. Cliche is a bit more versatile. While you never want to EXPECT PKs...having Cliche is another forward on the PK instead of Bords.

Bords understands his role and is a pretty darn good skater for a guy that size. I think my only beef with him is that he doesnt offer much outside of 5 on 5.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bordy needs to park himself in front of the net more often, that's my one nitpick of him.

I would agree with this. With his size and surprisingly decent hands, he could get a few more goals playing that way and maybe hit 8-10 over the course of the season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Bordy needs to park himself in front of the net more often, that's my one nitpick of him.

He doesn't get much of an opportunity to do that. Most of his shifts his line is either hemmed in defensively, chasing on the forecheck or attempting to breakout in the neutral zone. There is rarely if ever any sustained pressure for him to stand in front of the net.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There will invariably be an adjustment period for Malone. He's gone from playing top line minutes in Cleveland to 4th line minutes in Denver.

When a guy plays 10-12 minutes a night you're not really SUPPOSED to notice him, BTW. As others have said, if you're noticing him, it's likely because he's making a bad play.

If you want to see a guy play on the 4th line and still manage to look bad, go look up some clips of Kevin Porter...if you can find them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He's not bad but I think we could get more out of someone else taking his spot. If not permanently then at least for a few games here and there. Why just accept the bare minimum and the fact that Bordeleau isn't a liability when you can play someone who might be better defensively, a better skater, and better in the offensive zone? I think Malone does all of those things better than Bordeleau. I also don't agree with the people who are saying Malone isn't physical. He has been physical every time I've seen him play. He started off physical against the Hawks as well but maybe he toned it down a bit after he got called for the BS boarding penalty.

Because he is a good skater and decent enough defensively. You don't need offense or a whole lot really from a 4th line. They don't play enough to warrant it. If you got more of these things you want, you'd get less of the things Bordy brings like size, physicality, and intimidation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed, he's fairly safe and effective in his role and never seems to stray from what he's supposed to do out there.

I get the impression Bordeleau knows his role but doesn't actually love fighting the way some guys do. He fights when he needs to be but a few times I can only describe his facial expression as resigned to the situation. E.g. when he fought Thornton. I think this attitude contributes to him not acting like an idiot out there. He mostly just wants to play hockey.

Actually I think he's said before that he enjoys fighting. I just don't' think many people want to fight him, because he's gained a reputation as one of the best. I think it has a lot to do with his reach. He can just lean back and throw haymakers and not get tied up too well.

I think he gave a little head shake in the Thornton fight because he made a clean hit right beforehand, and he outweighed Thornton by a lot and felt a little bad fighting him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bordeleau hasn't been on the ice for an even strength goal against in 20 games, is playing disciplined (has cut down on the late hits) and for an enforcer he seems to have a pretty good positioning and knows how to block passing lanes.

He's never going to be a great player but as long as he's not a liability in the few minutes he plays, it's not a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->