Speculation: Hawks Rebuild Thread

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If cash isn't a concern to ownership then retaining is the way to go with Kane and Toews, I'm talking 3+M retention on each. You aren't going to get a better return on that cap space.
I would guess
Kane - 2 x 1sts + 1 great prospect or 2 good propects
Toews - 1st + 2nd + 2 good propects.
Even more if they take on a short term cap dump.

Keith is a tough call, if they try to trade him he might just retire. He's near the end of that contract where the salary has dropped significantly.
I wonder if Keith would be willing to go to Florida to play for Q again? Lower taxes would allow him to maximize on the low salary he will be making the next few seasons, and Florida would have no problem with that contract since the salary is much lower than the cap hit.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The problem is that at 50% retention he is making like 5.25 million. Thats pennies until 2024.

Yah but most teams cannot even take on that salary now. If they were serious about a rebuild you move those top guys before the draft and free agency not after.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
To :hawks
LW Alexander Kerfoot
D Timothy Liljegren

To :leafs
D Connor Murphy

Hawks take on Kerfoot who's name has been out there in trade rumors all summer and pick up another young RD to plug into right side with Boqvist/Mitchell for this coming year

Keith-Boqvist
Zadorov-Mitchell
de Haan-Lilegren
(Seabrook)

All pairs have vet to pair with kid
It's probably a fair trade at this point. I've always been really high on Liljegren though and I feel like the Leafs would regret it. It would be a really hard trade to swallow but I think Murphy makes the Leafs cup contenders. Nobody here really gives a shit about Kerfoot. The guy can skate but other than that hes just your everyday 3rd line meh center.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yah but most teams cannot even take on that salary now. If they were serious about a rebuild you move those top guys before the draft and free agency not after.
We are talking about hypothetical value, not actual situational value. Toews at that number is worth much more than a decent prospect and 2nd round pick

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I see a team with a legit top line C and winger in Toews and Kane. They have 4 more top 6 quality forwards in Strome, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Dach.

They have 4 top 4-ish defenders in Keith, Murphy, Zadorov, and DeHaan. And a blue chipper with Boqvist.

This offseason they threw away a defenceman, just to do nothing with their new cap space. And they let a starting goalie walk with no solution for a replacement. And they have a coach that is almost universally seen as over-his-head and doing a poor job.

I don't think the roster is the problem. I don't think a rebuild, like the letter to fans suggests, is needed. I think they are 2 years too late on firing the GM and coach. Some tinkering, and that's a competitive roster.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I see a team with a legit top line C and winger in Toews and Kane. They have 4 more top 6 quality forwards in Strome, DeBrincat, Kubalik, and Dach.

They have 4 top 4-ish defenders in Keith, Murphy, Zadorov, and DeHaan. And a blue chipper with Boqvist.

This offseason they threw away a defenceman, just to do nothing with their new cap space. And they let a starting goalie walk with no solution for a replacement. And they have a coach that is almost universally seen as over-his-head and doing a poor job.

I don't think the roster is the problem. I don't think a rebuild, like the letter to fans suggests, is needed. I think they are 2 years too late on firing the GM and coach. Some tinkering, and that's a competitive roster.

That idiot coach is getting an extension according to Bowman

Both are secure in jobs going forward

Hawks future may be bleaker then the present

Reactions: qqaz

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Towes at around 40% retained and Kane at 30% retained would easily fetch a decent haul of picks. Also, considering the # of years remaining, I would guess the Hawks would prefer straight up picks and not prospects, for better timing on their end. Realistically, a 1st + 2nd + 2nd + 3rd for each would be beneficial to the Hawks and any trading partner that is a near cup contender.

section 218

Jan 31, 2007
Towes at around 40% retained and Kane at 30% retained would easily fetch a decent haul of picks. Also, considering the # of years remaining, I would guess the Hawks would prefer straight up picks and not prospects, for better timing on their end. Realistically, a 1st + 2nd + 2nd + 3rd for each would be beneficial to the Hawks and any trading partner that is a near cup contender.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Pick or prospect

With Strome about to be signed and Wallmark signed for #4C spot Kampf is someone we can move on from

Thoughts on Demchenko for Kampf?

Demchenko is now blocked by Jake Allen so there is no path to NHL for him in Montreal but in Chicago he could very well be #1 goalie

Would you take a year of Weal off our hands to make the cap work?

Kampf for Weal, Demchenko, and 2021 Habs 5th rd. pick

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Toews, even at 32 Years old and 10+ on his deal over the next three seasons will get a hefty return..

a player supposedly on the decline has 141 points in the last 152 games.

Still being top notch defensively.

if the Hawks assumed 25% of his contract, they would realize a major return for this player.

Reactions: wahsnairb

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I know it's up to Kane if he wants to stay but damn it would be a waste if he spent the rest of his career on a rebuilding team.

Still one of the most exciting players in the game.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The correct move would be to move the big three with some retention (Kane, Toews, Keith). Bottom out for the next two or three years acquiring top end talent then attempt to re-sign Toews and Kane when they hit UFA in three years and begin to climb the rankings.

You get to sell high on your elite player getting prime assets, bottom out and pick at the top of the draft for a couple years, and Toews and Kane still get to retire as Blackhawks while getting to go to contenders for the next three seasons

Reactions: Makar27

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't think they "blown" their Budget on Pietrangelo. He is a good signing and a lot of teams I think they rather have that, then 11.5 Panarin.

Not sure about that.

Both are very good players, but based on the NHL miles on his legs, I anticipate and expect that the shelf life for Panarin is going to extend beyond that of Alex. P.

There are very few players in this league that have averaged 85 points over the last 5 seasons. The names are basically the truly elite of the league. Panarin is one of them.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'll respond with a question that Leonardo DiCaprio asks himself daily: is 23 too old?
23 years old is most certainly old when it comes to a process that can take 5 years once salary retention and buyouts come off the books. Better to take available dead weight cap for picks over a star that has 5 years left on a contract.
I suggest you begin with guys like James Neal because I have a feeling the Oilers will have an early pick next year with Barrie on the roster

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
23 years old is most certainly old when it comes to a process that can take 5 years once salary retention and buyouts come off the books. Better to take available dead weight cap for picks over a star that has 5 years left on a contract.
I suggest you begin with guys like James Neal because I have a feeling the Oilers will have an early pick next year with Barrie on the roster
I see where you're coming from, but disagree. I'm not terribly fond of the scorched earth rebuild, where there are no high-performing vets to usher in the next wave. Although maybe it's a stretch to put Marner in that category, I think it puts them further ahead than having Dach flanked by a couple of 18 year olds. Maybe Kubalik and Debrincat can play that role?

Or maybe I'm a weary Oilers fan who thinks because we can't rebuild as you suggest that no one can.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Pick or prospect

With Strome about to be signed and Wallmark signed for #4C spot Kampf is someone we can move on from

Thoughts on Demchenko for Kampf?

Demchenko is now blocked by Jake Allen so there is no path to NHL for him in Montreal but in Chicago he could very well be #1 goalie

Lindgren is better then Demchenko if you want a goalie. Could something like:

Ryan Carpenter
John Quennville (Or any AHL player)

vs

Jordan Weal
Charlie Lindgren

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You just offered a ton of people no one wants. Keith Toews and Kane are the guys that are interesting to teams, but unlikely to move until the cap goes up

they picked a heck of a time for a rebuild. Flat cap and looking to move high priced players. Talent wise these guys can really be the difference but who can afford them?

Reactions: themelkman

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I see where you're coming from, but disagree. I'm not terribly fond of the scorched earth rebuild, where there are no high-performing vets to usher in the next wave. Although maybe it's a stretch to put Marner in that category, I think it puts them further ahead than having Dach flanked by a couple of 18 year olds. Maybe Kubalik and Debrincat can play that role?

Or maybe I'm a weary Oilers fan who thinks because we can't rebuild as you suggest that no one can.
Hey...leafs fan here. Jury is out whether they have rebuilt.
In any event, IMO the most important vets are dmen. Good Dmen are taught and learn the craft to a greater extent than forwards whose trajectory are more determined by inate talent. A good rebuild requires a lot of picks including late ones.

Reactions: Oneiro

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
We are talking about hypothetical value, not actual situational value. Toews at that number is worth much more than a decent prospect and 2nd round pick

He probably is worth more than that but whether he gets that is a different story especially in a flat cap world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad