News Article: Hawks purchase land next to 5/3rd Bank practice facility to expand it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's right next to their current facility. Literally. Like, two blocks from the United Center, as well.

Interesting that this is just making headlines. I've known about it for months.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This was well on it's way before the Hawks won the lottery and Bedard. It has absolutely nothing to do with him. I first heard about it in January, and I was told it was finalized a couple months ago now. It's been in the works for a year...

Reactions: Melrose Munch

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I guess it begs the question of why would they invest 65M in a dump?

:huh::huh::huh:
The land is probably cheap, apparently located adjacent to their current practice facility, and the money is going into expanding the practice facility. World class practice and training facility can be another selling feature for future players.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The land is probably cheap, apparently located adjacent to their current practice facility, and the money is going into expanding the practice facility. World class practice and training facility can be another selling feature for future players.

The $65 million is almost entirely the purchase price from the city. It was owned by Malcolm X college. Aka, the city of Chicago. The delay on this, from what I heard, was Lightfoot wanting way, way more money than initially agreed upon, for an empty f***ing lot. Lightfoot was also the one that was trying to buy Johnny's Icehouse West and put up some kind of Comed facility. You would think that woman hated hockey...

Anyways, can't wait for another sheet there. Maybe we won't get so many 11:00 game times.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The $65 million is almost entirely the purchase price from the city. It was owned by Malcolm X college. Aka, the city of Chicago. The delay on this, from what I heard, was Lightfoot wanting way, way more money than initially agreed upon, for an empty f***ing lot. Lightfoot was also the one that was trying to buy Johnny's Icehouse West and put up some kind of Comed facility. You would think that woman hated hockey...

Anyways, can't wait for another sheet there. Maybe we won't get so many 11:00 game times.
The land is worth a decent amount if they just turned the lot into a parking lot. No idea about the rest of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad