Waived: Hawks place Anton Forsberg on waivers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I was just trying to say it is possible the Hawks have a plan to push for him, that its not crazy to think they are out of it with the salary cap room available. I dont think it will happen, but they have room to try for it.

No, they don't have the room. If you have to rely on hypothetical trades to create room, then that means it's not room you actually have. Until room is created it doesn't actually exist.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yea this whole Columbus made out like bandits is a tired false narrative

Yea right now Columbus got the better of the deal but panarin is pretty much 100% not returning to Columbus. So they got probably 1.5 years of panarin (assuming they trade him by the deadline) and no playoff series wins

Hardly a coup for Columbus after this season is over. Both teams are going to wind up relatively empty handed, especially is Columbus wants to hold on to him for the playoffs
The only impact Panarin leaving after two years has on evaluations of this trade is that it takes it out of the conversation for "most lopsided ever in the salary cap era". It was a serious reach at the time and everyone knows it, and time has not justified that decision for Bowman. Honestly, I suspect some here are still going with a "if Panarin walks then the trade was worth it" perspective that was formed back when nobody was ever even thinking of the possibility of Saad regressing in Chicago.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
What exactly hinges on whether he was scratched or not? His play speaks for itself. In either case, it's a contract Columbus is now pleased not to have. Swapping that for 2 years of the best skater in franchise history is the definition of banditry.

Sorry, Rick Nash was easily the best skater in franchise history. Nevermind the point production Panarin put up in a year when scoring was up across the league (and shrinking goalie pads).

Nash put up 40 goals and 79 points in 78 games in 08-09 under a Ken Hitchcock coached system (which notoriously sucks the life out of offensive players). Because Panarin put up 3 more points in 3 more games doesnt make him the best skater in franchise history. Rick Nash also had a terrible supporting cast and never had a number 1 center in Columbus aside for that brief cup of coffee Jeff Carter had in columbus and they just had no chemistry since they are both shoot first players

Panarin was 20th in the league in points scoring and 55th in goal scoring last year

Rick Nash in his 08-09 season was 18th in point scoring and 7th in goal scoring

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sorry, Rick Nash was easily the best skater in franchise history. Nevermind the point production Panarin put up in a year when scoring was up across the league (and shrinking goalie pads).

Nash put up 40 goals and 79 points in 78 games in 08-09 under a Ken Hitchcock coached system (which notoriously sucks the life out of offensive players). Because Panarin put up 3 more points in 3 more games doesnt make him the best skater in franchise history. Rick Nash also had a terrible supporting cast and never had a number 1 center in Columbus aside for that brief cup of coffee Jeff Carter had in columbus and they just had no chemistry since they are both shoot first players

Panarin was 20th in the league in points scoring and 55th in goal scoring last year

Trust us when we say that the stuff that's not on the stat sheets more than makes up for the difference.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Yea this whole Columbus made out like bandits is a tired false narrative

Yea right now Columbus got the better of the deal but panarin is pretty much 100% not returning to Columbus. So they got probably 1.5 years of panarin (assuming they trade him by the deadline) and no playoff series wins

Hardly a coup for Columbus after this season is over. Both teams are going to wind up relatively empty handed, especially is Columbus wants to hold on to him for the playoffs

- Panarin saved the Jackets from a potentially disasterous year when it seemed like almost everyone went from overachieving to underachieving last year, without him they miss the playoffs for sure. And even though they didn't win, they had an exciting series against the eventual cup champs and Panarin played a huge role in the two wins they got. Nobody wants to see their team suck and for the time he's spent/will spent in Columbus he's improved the overall product for the fans. For a team that has lacked elite offensive players im sure the fans have enjoyed watching him play.

- Dubois is one of the most important pieces for the Jackets and you can bet his development has been accelerated by playing with a guy like Panarin, im not sure he has the confidence offensively to play #1C if that line never happens, this is not insignificant.

- You say they will end up empty handed but if he's traded they're going to get a good return. And if he's not traded, the management probably feels like they can do damage in the playoffs, and if they do it'll be worth it as well.

Saad and Forsberg have done close to nothing for Chicago. I've had high hopes for Saad turning it around making it a better deal for them but at this point anyone saying the Hawks didn't get robbed is delusional. If they couldn't keep him they should've trade him for assets that help their rebuild/re-tool. Saad and Forsberg did nothing to help that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ah ok, I'll just forget I watch the hockey games too. Nash was the ONLY player on that team for a long time
I'll give you a hint: it has to do with which of those skaters more consistently helps make the other players around him better.

* * *​
- Panarin saved the Jackets from a potentially disasterous year when it seemed like almost everyone went from overachieving to underachieving last year, without him they miss the playoffs for sure. And even though they didn't win, they had an exciting series against the eventual cup champs and Panarin played a huge role in the two wins they got. Nobody wants to see their team suck and for the time he's spent/will spent in Columbus he's improved the overall product for the fans. For a team that has lacked elite offensive players im sure the fans have enjoyed watching him play.

- Dubois is one of the most important pieces for the Jackets and you can bet he's development has been accelerated by playing with a guy like Panarin, im not sure he has the confidence offensively to play #1C if that line never happens, this is not insignificant.

- You say they will end up empty handed but if he's traded they're going to get a good return. And if he's not traded, the management probably feels like they can do damage in the playoffs, and if they do it'll be worth it as well.

Saad and Forsberg have done close to nothing for Chicago. I've had high hopes for Saad turning it around making it a better deal for them but at this point anyone saying the Hawks didn't get robbed is delusional. If they couldn't keep him they should've trade him for assets that help their rebuild/re-tool. Saad and Forsberg did nothing to help that.
Bravo. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Reactions: Goldeneye

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Chicago Blackhawks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

$18,151,539 Cap Space, with ONLY 14 players signed in '19-'20...what are you looking at??

Roster is 23 players.

Is there a rule that you cant have players on ELCs anymore....

Try using your brain for a second here, the only pieces chicago even has to re-sign outside of Panarin are Schmaltz (gets under what larkin got) and Cat who will probably get a similar deal. They have 10 million in space being freed up on top of the 5 million cap space they already have. A majority of those spots will go to ELC players along with Anisimov likely being moved at the TDL. The lineup that Chicago would have next year would mostly be the same sans Panarin as no one outside of Schmaltz and Cat have done anything to really earn a raise in the slightest as of now.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Expound then...

I trust CapFriendly & a panel of former NHL players & industry experts, Sportsnet iirc, vs. another armchair GM.
Who has to be replaced with that 18mil?
Schmaltz 5mil max, or trade him for a Dman making similar money

Kruger, Kunitz, Martinsen, Kampf, Johnson, Martinsen, Ruuta and a backup goalie. 6-7mil max onon replacement level players

So that leaves 6-7mil without accounting for any rise in the cap.

Chicago has a ton of cap room next year, and even more of they trade Anisimov, Murphy or Manning.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Are you telling CBJ fans who the best player in their history is?

I'm pretty sure they don't need another team's fan to tell them about their history. You guys got destroyed in that trade. Move on.

Reactions: Viqsi

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
A bit surprised the Preds didn't claim him with Pekka on IR for a bit. Saros is ready to take on the role of starter, but I'm a little worried about the backup situation.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Is there a rule that you cant have players on ELCs anymore....

Try using your brain for a second here, the only pieces chicago even has to re-sign outside of Panarin are Schmaltz (gets under what larkin got) and Cat who will probably get a similar deal. They have 10 million in space being freed up on top of the 5 million cap space they already have. A majority of those spots will go to ELC players along with Anisimov likely being moved at the TDL. The lineup that Chicago would have next year would mostly be the same sans Panarin as no one outside of Schmaltz and Cat have done anything to really earn a raise in the slightest as of now.

The Hawks have 8 roster Fs under contract for 2019.
Resign Schmaltz (let's say 3.5m)
Resign Kampf (1m)
Sign Panarin (8m)

The only ELC Fs you have are Entwhistle, Highmore and Noel. So are they the final 3 Fs? That's another 3m combined.

D
6 guys signed.. let's say they let Rutta and Davidson walk and fill the last spot with an ELC guy-
Boqvist at 925k

G
They let Ward walk and sign a bargain guy for 1.5m

That's roughly 18m. Which is just about all the space, leaving nothing for bonus overages, daily injuries and the like.

Then the next year you have to re-up DeBrincat, Fortin, Kahun and add a starting goalie all for about $10m.

Maybe they do move Anisimov or maybe they add sweeteners and they get someone to take Seabrook (pipe dream), but it's totally fair to say that until they do those things they DO NOT have the space to add a guy like Panarin.

It's like when Major Strasser asked Rick Blaine about how he would feel seeing the Nazis marching in London- Let me know when you get there.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Are you telling CBJ fans who the best player in their history is?

I'm pretty sure they don't need another team's fan to tell them about their history. You guys got destroyed in that trade. Move on.
lol yea one year of panarin on a playoff team wipes out Nash trying to carry a last place jackets team for a decade

sorry i might not trust a 17 year old kids assessment that Panarin is the best player in franchise history when I used to watch Rick Nash carve up 1 on 3 rushes by himself and having his best linemates for years be guys like RJ umberger, Antoine Vermette, and Nik Zherdev

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The Hawks have 8 roster Fs under contract for 2019.
Resign Schmaltz (let's say 3.5m)
Resign Kampf (1m)
Sign Panarin (8m)

The only ELC Fs you have are Entwhistle, Highmore and Noel. So are they the final 3 Fs? That's another 3m combined.

D
6 guys signed.. let's say they let Rutta and Davidson walk and fill the last spot with an ELC guy-
Boqvist at 925k

G
They let Ward walk and sign a bargain guy for 1.5m

That's roughly 18m. Which is just about all the space, leaving nothing for bonus overages, daily injuries and the like.

Then the next year you have to re-up DeBrincat, Fortin, Kahun and add a starting goalie all for about $10m.

Maybe they do move Anisimov or maybe they add sweeteners and they get someone to take Seabrook (pipe dream), but it's totally fair to say that until they do those things they DO NOT have the space to add a guy like Panarin.

It's like when Major Strasser asked Rick Blaine about how he would feel seeing the Nazis marching in London- Let me know when you get there.

It’s almost as if some players are in college that can sign with the team in the middle of the season I don’t know why this is so hard to comprehend for you or why I even have to go this far but I’ll humor you.

In a modest 82 million cap Sikura and Edjsell get resigned for cheap due to no real nhl performance yet. Kayumov and Altybarmakayan comes over from the KHL to challenge for a forward spot. Nalimov comes over from the KHL (Chicago owns his rights and the max he can sign for is a maxed out ELC) to be their backup goalie. Barrat (F penn state) , Mitchell (D Denver U), will likely join the org.

Two second mashup which is somehow impossible for you to understand

Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane (Panarin ya 7x9 and Schmaltz at 5.8 x5)

DeBrincat-Toews-Kahun (no changes)

Saad-Anisimov-Sikura (Sikura gets 975,000 x 2 due to little to no nhl success)

Edjsell/Kayumov-Fortin-Hayden/one year signings (Edjsell and Kayumov both sign under a million/elc)

D remains unchanged

Keith-Jokiharju
Murphy-Mitchell(ELC)
Gustafson-Seabrook
Manning

Crawford
Nalimov

and even without an Anisimov trade to start next season they can still make a 22 man roster. The only major move that would be done is Anisimov to clear cap and that is only needed the 2021 season when he would have a year left. Predicting anything past 2021 in terms of any teams cap situation is pretty much pointless due to how much can change by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesaadfather

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It’s almost as if some players are in college that can sign with the team in the middle of the season I don’t know why this is so hard to comprehend for you or why I even have to go this far but I’ll humor you.

In a modest 82 million cap Sikura and Edjsell get resigned for cheap due to no real nhl performance yet. Kayumov and Altybarmakayan comes over from the KHL to challenge for a forward spot. Nalimov comes over from the KHL (Chicago owns his rights) to be their backup goalie. Barrat (F penn state) , Mitchell (D Denver U), will likely join the org.

Two second mashup which is impossible for you to understand

Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane

DeBrincat-Toews-Kahun

Saad-Anisimov-Sikura

Edjsell/Kayumov-Fortin-Hayden/one year signings

D remains unchanged and even without an Anisimov trade to start next season they can still make a 22 man roster. The only move that would be done is Anisimov to clear cap and that is only needed the 2021 season when he would have a year left. Predicting anything past 2021 in terms of any teams cap situation is pretty much pointless due to how much can change by then.

Please name all the college players who have signed in "the middle of the season" (say like in February).

Thanks

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Please name all the college players who have signed in "the middle of the season" (say like in February).

Thanks
Considering they signed two this past season in February/March (Hillman and Sikura along with Hayden the season prior) I’m not sure why this is such a wild concept for you to grasp... Players can sign and forgo their final year or jump immediately to the nhl after their season is over champ.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Considering they signed two this past season in February/March (Hillman and Sikura along with Hayden the season prior) I’m not sure why this is such a wild concept for you to grasp... Players can sign and forgo their final year or jump immediately to the nhl after their season is over champ.

They signed Dylan Sikura on March 28. That's about 2 weeks of the season left.

They signed Hillman on March 28.

I like how you do the /February thing, when neither guy was signed in February (which is what I asked for).

Yes, I know guys sign in March when the NCAA season is over, but if 1/8 of a season left is the middle to you, I'm not sure fractions is a concept that you can grasp.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
They signed Dylan Sikura on March 28. That's about 2 weeks of the season left.

They signed Hillman on March 28.

I like how you do the /February thing, when neither guy was signed in February (which is what I asked for).

Yes, I know guys sign in March when the NCAA season is over, but if 1/8 of a season left is the middle to you, I'm not sure fractions is a concept that you can grasp.
Boy talk about arguing over semantics after having your main argument shot down:eyeroll:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Boy talk about arguing over semantics after having your main argument shot down:eyeroll:
Except my main argument wasn't shot down.

ME: You don't have enough cap space to sign Panarin and fill your other spots
YOU: Sure we do, we can sign guys from college with 5 games to go in the season.
ME: Um ok and for the first 77 games?
YOU: Argument totally shot down.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Except my main argument wasn't shot down.

ME: You don't have enough cap space to sign Panarin and fill your other spots
YOU: Sure we do, we can sign guys from college with 5 games to go in the season.
ME: Um ok and for the first 77 games?
YOU: Argument totally shot down.

I literally posted a lineup of what next season would possibly look like try again mate.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Pretty much correct. The basic purpose of waivers is to prevent teams from stockpiling prospects in the minors.

Essentially, if team claims a player on waivers, that player has to remain on the teams roster for the remainder of the year. That player cannot be traded or sent to the minors unless his is waived again. If the player goes unclaimed, then the player can be traded or sent to the minors. There are some variation to this rule if there were multiple claims the first time the player was waived.
Almost right, IIRC.

If there were no other claim the first time he was waived, then he can be traded without going back on waivers.

If there were other claims, but the teams who put in a claim don't want him anymore, he can be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad