Waived: Hawks place Anton Forsberg on waivers

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If you claim him I am pretty sure you have to play him, can't just claim him and send him to the AHL.
Rinne is out. He'd at least sit on the bench a few games until Rinne is back in the lineup. At that point he'd be back on waivers.

Leafs could maybe use him? Hang onto him on the Leafs roster and run with 3 goalies. Forsberg can sit on the bench when Freddie is resting.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you claim him I am pretty sure you have to play him, can't just claim him and send him to the AHL.

That isn't how waivers work. You can claim him, and put him back on waivers to try and get him to the AHL, as far as I know.

Reactions: nabob

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
That isn't how waivers work. You can claim him, and put him back on waivers to try and get him to the AHL, as far as I know.

Pretty much correct. The basic purpose of waivers is to prevent teams from stockpiling prospects in the minors.

Essentially, if team claims a player on waivers, that player has to remain on the teams roster for the remainder of the year. That player cannot be traded or sent to the minors unless his is waived again. If the player goes unclaimed, then the player can be traded or sent to the minors. There are some variation to this rule if there were multiple claims the first time the player was waived.

Reactions: Kuola and Oddbob

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Leafs may pick him up as insurance.

Only if he clears waivers first. Same thing they did with Pickard from Vegas.

If he clears then he can be sent down freely for like 30 days (or something). So trade a conditional 7th or AHL player for him if you want him, then he can be immediately sent to the minors.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Right but if you do CHI can take him and put him in the AHL without re-exposing him to waivers (assuming they have the highest priority).

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
He'd be a decent backup for a few teams, got to think he'll be signed soon.
He's already signed. Whether he ends up in Rockford or another nhl team is the question.

Honestly, i don't think he's picked up unless there's a team in desperate need of an average nhl backup.

He may have a decent future ahead of him but he's so so right now.

Reactions: Mork

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Considering Columbus can't resign Panarin and he certainly wouldn't resign in Chicago, I'm not sure it's all doom and gloom.
Yea this whole Columbus made out like bandits is a tired false narrative

Yea right now Columbus got the better of the deal but panarin is pretty much 100% not returning to Columbus. So they got probably 1.5 years of panarin (assuming they trade him by the deadline) and no playoff series wins

Hardly a coup for Columbus after this season is over. Both teams are going to wind up relatively empty handed, especially is Columbus wants to hold on to him for the playoffs

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
:leafs
Anton Forsberg
Andrew Campbell

:hawks
Eamon McAdam
Andrew Nielsen

It's not much, but Nielsen still has some decent potential left in him. If you get him the right partner and some proper training he may still make the NHL, but the Leafs would be willing to move him instead of a pick to get a goalie with Kaskisuo out for the foreseeable future. McAdam can be depth in the ECHL like he was here.

Marlies would also love to have Campbell back. He was our Marincin before Marincin came last year, and we could really use that on the back end for someone like Liljegren or Subban/Corrado.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
:leafs
Anton Forsberg
Andrew Campbell

:hawks
Eamon McAdam
Andrew Nielsen

It's not much, but Nielsen still has some decent potential left in him. If you get him the right partner and some proper training he may still make the NHL, but the Leafs would be willing to move him instead of a pick to get a goalie with Kaskisuo out for the foreseeable future. McAdam can be depth in the ECHL like he was here.

Marlies would also love to have Campbell back. He was our Marincin before Marincin came last year, and we could really use that on the back end for someone like Liljegren or Subban/Corrado.
Yeah I’m sure GMs are losing sleep over their ECHL depth. I’m not saying Forsberg is worth much, but why even throw an ECHLer in there?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Yea this whole Columbus made out like bandits is a tired false narrative

Yea right now Columbus got the better of the deal but panarin is pretty much 100% not returning to Columbus. So they got probably 1.5 years of panarin (assuming they trade him by the deadline) and no playoff series wins

Hardly a coup for Columbus after this season is over. Both teams are going to wind up relatively empty handed, especially is Columbus wants to hold on to him for the playoffs
Even if Panarin leaves in FA, you took on a $6m healthy scratch and waived the goalie. Columbus made out like bandits.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad