GDT: Hawks @ Jackets 6pm NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The hawks are on a 100 point pace this season. We are 40% through the season.
Also preds lose, canes lose, jackets lose, stars lose. Those are the teams we are going to fight for a playoff spot

As of right now, the playoffs are absolutely realistic for this team. Things will get tighter as the season progresses, but it’s impossible to deny that this is a playoff team at the moment.

That fact should automatically put Kane in the Hart conversation, and Colliton in the Adams conversation. You also could make an argument for Lankinen in the Calder conversation.

Lots can change, but that’s how I see it at the moment.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
My problem with Highshit is that he generates nothing offensively, yet takes bad penalties and is prone to the untimely turnover. Plus I think Johnson brings more to the table physically.

He’s a 12th/13th guy who works his balls off. Knocking that guy for not generating offensively seems a bit silly to me

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You know, we talk about the young guys a lot and how they're making a difference but we haven't really talked about how well the depth adds have worker out this year.

Janmark and now Soderberg have become important pieces in helping us win games. Zadorov and Subban trades were not considered wins for the Hawks but both have helped the team and even Wallmark is looking like he's going to be decent for a $1M guy.

Like many I shrugged at the off season moves but they've actually helped the team.

Someone said it a while back that this may be the best supporting cast the Hawks have had in years.

I think there’s little doubt this is the best supporting cast. An excellent mix of speed, skill, size, and willingness to battle.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
My problem with Highshit is that he generates nothing offensively, yet takes bad penalties and is prone to the untimely turnover. Plus I think Johnson brings more to the table physically.

I don't like it when people rag on fourth liners like Highmore. Yes, he's had a couple of bad penalties lately but that hasn't been the Hallmark of his career. It happens.

All you can ask of a guy like that is that he work as hard as he can. If he does he's playing to the best of his ability. What's more frustrating is guys who have skill who don't put in the work or fail to recognize what their role had to be and we have enough examples of that on this team in the past few years.

In terms of Highmore over Johnson, it's whatever. Probably at this point Highmore is better and that line gets called on to take some tough match ups where a bit of experience helps. Johnson will get his chance and honestly he's gotten more than he would have on many teams. Highmore isn't retiring a Blackhawk and when there's a better option Colliton plays them and Highmore accepts it and continues to work hard.

Calling him 'Highshit' or whatever is just kind of a jerk move.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Someone said it a while back that this may be the best supporting cast the Hawks have had in years.

I think there’s little doubt this is the best supporting cast. An excellent mix of speed, skill, size, and willingness to battle.
This makes it a damn shame that Dach and Toews aren't healthy. I wish Nylander was here too feeding off of the grinder attitude of the team as well.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This makes it a damn shame that Dach and Toews aren't healthy. I wish Nylander was here too feeding off of the grinder attitude of the team as well.

Yep, but maybe these guys start to come back if this team makes the playoffs.

I think timeline wise, that’s realistic for Dach and Nylander. Toews is obviously a complete unknown

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't like it when people rag on fourth liners like Highmore. Yes, he's had a couple of bad penalties lately but that hasn't been the Hallmark of his career. It happens.

All you can ask of a guy like that is that he work as hard as he can. If he does he's playing to the best of his ability. What's more frustrating is guys who have skill who don't put in the work or fail to recognize what their role had to be and we have enough examples of that on this team in the past few years.

In terms of Highmore over Johnson, it's whatever. Probably at this point Highmore is better and that line gets called on to take some tough match ups where a bit of experience helps. Johnson will get his chance and honestly he's gotten more than he would have on many teams. Highmore isn't retiring a Blackhawk and when there's a better option Colliton plays them and Highmore accepts it and continues to work hard.

Agree

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

I'm guilty of ragging on Highmore but that's because I think the Hawks have better options and Highmore is an AAAA guy at this point.

I mostly agree with you though.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
For goalies with a minimum of 5 games played this season, Lankinen is 13th in save percentage with .921. Malcolm Subban? A .930 save percentage, good for 7th in the league.

Hawks, a team that was widely considered to have the worst goaltending before the season began, are the only team in the league to currently have two guys in the top 15 in save percentage (again, with a minimum of 5 games played).

Very solid from both guys and needed if the Hawks are gonna stand a chance at a playoff spot.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
For goalies with a minimum of 5 games played this season, Lankinen is 13th in save percentage with .921. Malcolm Subban? A .930 save percentage, good for 7th in the league.

Hawks, a team that was widely considered to have the worst goaltending before the season began, are the only team in the league to currently have two guys in the top 15 in save percentage (again, with a minimum of 5 games played).

Very solid from both guys and needed if the Hawks are gonna stand a chance at a playoff spot.

I made mention of this in another thread. The fancy stats aren't there for the Hawks yet, but those fancy stats aren't telling the story. The Hawks are contesting pretty much everything. Yeah, there are mistakes and breakdowns, as expected. But for the most part they are not giving up open looks. They almost always have a body or a stick on someone, are contesting shots, and are getting in shooting lanes. It doesn't show up in "advanced stats" but it absolutely shows up in the eye test, in save percentage, and in goals against. Combine that with timely saves from your goalies and it's a winning recipe.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Another nice win for the Hawks.

People are throwing Stromes name out there on this site. I think he can be a nice pickup for some teams but does not seem to be a fit going forward.

One name I would inquire about is Sam Bennett. Asked for a trade. A real gamer. Always comes to play for Flames in the PO's. Been misused there. I think he can be a Bolland type for us. Just a warrior when it matters. Flames need a shake up.

Whoever gets him will be happy.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Hawks, a team that was widely considered to have the worst goaltending before the season began, are the only team in the league to currently have two guys in the top 15 in save percentage (again, with a minimum of 5 ga

I tried supporting Subban earlier in the season for his performances this year and I was lambasted. good to see other people see it. the goals he's given up (watch the tape) were largely shots he had no chance on outside one goal off the top of my head he lost track of the puck in the crease and kicked it into his own net

reminds me a lot of Raanta in a way when he was here, a raw battler but shrinks in net based on his style. he (subban) is technically comparable in size to lankinen but subban seems to shrink in net more than Lank-o-motive. Lankinen looks big, subban looks like marty turco in net

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I tried supporting Subban earlier in the season for his performances this year and I was lambasted. good to see other people see it. the goals he's given up (watch the tape) were largely shots he had no chance on outside one goal off the top of my head he lost track of the puck in the crease and kicked it into his own net

reminds me a lot of Raanta in a way when he was here, a raw battler but shrinks in net based on his style. he (subban) is technically comparable in size to lankinen but subban seems to shrink in net more than Lank-o-motive. Lankinen looks big, subban looks like marty turco in net

I've read that Subban has a ton of athleticism which to me sounds like he can react to shots quicker. If his rebound control improves under Waite then do we have the netminding tándem set?
Further to this de are unfortunately last in the league allowing 33.4 SOG per game. That is a net -3 shots per game. It makes the goaltending seem all that much better.

Last edited:

HawksinBLo

Feb 26, 2021
Been reading this board for awhile, finally made an account to post. Surprised there isn’t some sort of trade thread.

seems obvious we will dangle Strome, correct? Doesn’t really have a place in our top 6 with the kids growing up and definitely has some value. Who says no in a Strome for Bennett deal?

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Been reading this board for awhile, finally made an account to post. Surprised there isn’t some sort of trade thread.

seems obvious we will dangle Strome, correct? Doesn’t really have a place in our top 6 with the kids growing up and definitely has some value. Who says no in a Strome for Bennett deal?
Welcome!

Reactions: Muffinalt

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Personally no interest in Bennett
Rather trade strome for a pick it picks if even possible

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

HawksinBLo

Feb 26, 2021
I’ll definitely take Bennett over a lottery ticket of a second rounder. Just my opinion. I think they will get an offer better than just Strome though.

HawksinBLo

Feb 26, 2021
Also, has anyone seen the reports of the Russian winger we are battling to sign against Detroit among others? Would he be eligible to play right away when his contract expires at the end of April? He’s third in the K in points right now.

Damir Zhafyarov Is the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad