Rumor: Hawks Interested in Eric Staal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
If he signs for cheap on a one year deal, that's a good move for the Hawks. Low risk, high reward.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If he signs for cheap on a one year deal, that's a good move for the Hawks. Low risk, high reward.

I think when you're that close to cap and looking to bring in E Staal after the year he had and the disappointing stint with New York, I wouldn't call it low risk, high reward. I'd call it moderate risk, moderate reward.

Unless he signs under 1mil.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

?-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Panik-?-?
Desjardins-Kruger-?
(Mashinter)

He could probably be slotted into either 1st line LW or 3rd line C ? if he signs

All those ? will be filled with kids or cheap vets so completion wont be hard for him to nail down one of those spots

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think when you're that close to cap and looking to bring in E Staal after the year he had and the disappointing stint with New York, I wouldn't call it low risk, high reward. I'd call it moderate risk, moderate reward.

Unless he signs under 1mil.

What is risk if he signs similar to Richards?

If he sucks we waive him and bring up kid so the cost would remain same (950k freed up to bring up kid ,, 1M+ dead if Staal isn't claimed)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He seems on the verge of being washed up from the bit I've seen of him lately, but for cheap... sure why not?

He already is a bit washed up (Rangers stint was disaster)

But if he can put forth a Richards type year and provide some depth to Hawks it would be hard to see any downside if signed cheap 1-2M and only for a year

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He already is a bit washed up (Rangers stint was disaster)

But if he can put forth a Richards type year and provide some depth to Hawks it would be hard to see any downside if signed cheap 1-2M and only for a year

I think Staal will be better than most people expect if he comes in to Chicago and slots 1LW next to Toews

Lets not forget that he was on a bad Carolina team all year, then got traded to NYR where Vigneault never put him with legit linemates. He had him centering third line with Fast and Hayes I believe.

Staal still had 39 points on the season playing on a bad Carolina team and a bottom 6 role in NY.

Dont forget that Richards had 51 points with the Rangers the year before he signed 1 year in Chicago except he was playing top 6 minutes on a team that went to the stanley cup final losing to LAK

Staal would provide good secondary scoring and depth at a discounted rate

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
Chicago would simply want him to replace Shaw's points of 30 or so .. that's the bar

Also, if he can keep up he can slot on the 2nd line with kane.. and move Anisimov and Panarin to the "3rd line"

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Every time Eric Staal's expectations are reported, he comes off as completely oblivious to the reality of his situation and his performance level.

I guess in his mind, he's still that 21 year old phenom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->