Friedman: Hawks have made Dylan Strome available for trade

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I can see them asking for nothing less than the moon... understandably so. Not expecting to see him moved myself

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Haha April Fools was last week...you're late to the punch, Friedman...haha...
giphy.gif

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Strome was deadly a couple seasons ago and had a pretty good last year so Hawks are probably scared at the money him and his agent want

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s exactly the type of player they’d look to acquire.

The only thing that could be a problem is the cap. I’d rather give up picks/prospects and throw in a cap dump to make the salary work than a player off our roster, but if we’re paying Dylan Strome a big contract, a year of Smith or Staal off the cap isn’t going to be enough to not have us run into cap problems a season or two later. It might require trading DeAngelo, although I’d try to see if they take Trouba instead.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The only thing that could be a problem is the cap. I’d rather give up picks/prospects and throw in a cap dump to make the salary work than a player off our roster, but if we’re paying Dylan Strome a big contract, a year of Smith or Staal off the cap isn’t going to be enough to not have us run into cap problems a season or two later. It might require trading DeAngelo, although I’d try to see if they take Trouba instead.
We can't take any cap dumps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We can't take any cap dumps.

I’m talking about what will amount to evening out the money. You’ll get players on the cap with an equal salary to what you’d otherwise pay Strome and we’ll pay Strome. In return, we can send over some extra picks/prospects.

Surely moving Strome wouldn’t be to shed salary. He’s one of your best younger players and your team is going nowhere right now. Chicago should have no problem taking on salary, but even if they didn’t take on more salary in a trade, what would be the point of trying to move Strome to shed his salary for next season?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
There has to be an underlying issue / or story here.
No story.

He's a decent 2C, albeit he struggled at times this year due to an ankle injury.

But he won't ever be much more than a good 2C. Hawks have Toews who is still a top line center ATM, and Kirby Dach has shown enough to believe that he'll be the eventual heir to that 1C spot.

There is a real possibility that, depending on how much Dach progresses, Strome could be centering a 3rd line next season. At that point, we're better off trading him for a winger or defender of comparable age/value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No story.

He's a decent 2C, albeit he struggled at times this year due to an ankle injury.

But he won't ever be much more than a good 2C. Hawks have Toews who is still a top line center ATM, and Kirby Dach has shown enough to believe that he'll be the eventual heir to that 1C spot.

There is a real possibility that, depending on how much Dach progresses, Strome could be centering a 3rd line next season. At that point, we're better off trading him for a winger or defender of comparable age/value.

Why would you trade any of the centers? Toews is getting older, and only has three years left. By the time the Hawks properly rebuild, his contract will be up. Even if he’s re-signed, he’ll be 35 and far from a viable 1C. Wouldn’t you rather have the flexibility to have some combination of Strome/Dach/Toews down the middle than trading the guy who will be in his prime in three seasons and is the surest thing of the three to be a top six center at that time? What if Dach doesn’t pan out as a top six center? You’ll be stuck with a 35 year old out of contract and on the decline and a guy who isn’t a top six C. Why would you throw away a top six center so easily?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Why would you trade any of the centers? Toews is getting older, and only has three years left. By the time the Hawks properly rebuild, his contract will be up. Even if he’s re-signed, he’ll be 35 and far from a viable 1C. Wouldn’t you rather have the flexibility to have some combination of Strome/Dach/Toews down the middle than trading the guy who will be in his prime in three seasons and is the surest thing of the three to be a top six center at that time? What if Dach doesn’t pan out as a top six center? You’ll be stuck with a 35 year old out of contract and on the decline and a guy who isn’t a top six C. Why would you throw away a top six center so easily?
Obviously there is a little gamble there, but Dach looked fantastic this season for us. I know some will disagree and say he wasn't ready, but I'm much more confident in Dach over the next decade then I am Strome. I liked how Dach looked more than Strome for most of this season.

You're right that in a few years, Toews will be a shell of his former self. However, the Hawks are likely drafting in the top 10 this draft (a draft that has a ton of centers in that area). And most of those players there would only need a season or two to start to jump to the NHL (even in a limited role on the 3rd line).

And more than that, I don't know that Strome is a guy who you compete with, especially if he's your best center. He's good at putting up points, but his defense is suspect and he's not much of a line driver.

I wouldn't mind him staying provided we have at minimum one center better than him at all times (outside of injuries), but I would certainly move him for a winger or defender of a similar value if the opportunity arose.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad