Pre-Game Talk: #Hawks@Habs (15-01-20/7:30PM/SN, RDS, NBCSCH)

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Something I pondered, if these guys did make the playoffs (which are unlikely) they would be hot at the right time heading into the playoffs.

Everyone is healthy it is a different group, I like the look of the top 9

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Suzuki
Lehkonen KK Armia
Byron/Weal Thompson Cousins

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Something I pondered, if these guys did make the playoffs (which are unlikely) they would be hot at the right time heading into the playoffs.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Suzuki
Lehkonen KK Armia

Where's newly emerging Ryan Poehling? Jonathan Drouin, a.k.a Drou-Drou???? Caufield is here next year too, latest would be 2021-22.

Log jam. Domi is expandable IMO, starting next year with Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi as C line.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Price has definitely been the victim of a lousy mindset too many times, but I don't think it's related to increased pressure when games mean more. FWIW, last year from Jan. 1, 2019 to season's end, he rocked an amazing .928 SV%.
You say an amazing .928 SV% but that SV% was still only third best for all goalies and those goalies had their whole season counted not just part of it.

Before the Xmas break the Habs were in a playoff position despite Price's terrible October and November. They return from the break and he lays an egg in three consecutive games which sends the team in a tailspin. A team that is very fragile with 4 players missing, three of which are top 9 players. It's a recurring motif in Price's career. One example Halak had to come in years ago to relieve him because he wasn't delivering. The team beat two powerhouses.

I'm not saying he isn't a very good goalie. He is when no one is counting on him. He just can't rise to the occasion. And Team Canada doesn't count. He was just another star on a star-studded powerhouse.

We might not see it because the Habs are too far behind but if they get within sight of a playoff spot (and yes it'll be with Price in net) I predict Price will give a repeat performance of his three games after the Xmas break.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Why hasnt Clajde switched Lekhonen and Kovalchuk? Seems like a no brainer to me.

You know CJ......

upload_2020-1-14_14-0-9.jpeg

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Suzuki
Lehkonen KK Armia

Did you take Drouin to the back of the shed and put him out of his misery? He was a very good player this year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Where's newly emerging Ryan Poehling? Jonathan Drouin, a.k.a Drou-Drou???? Caufield is here next year too, latest would be 2021-22.

Log jam. Domi is expandable IMO, starting next year with Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi as C line.
Domi is a diabetic but I think he'll watch his weight. :sarcasm:A player I would label expendable is KK but let's give him one more year.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Domi is a diabetic but I think he'll watch his weight. :sarcasm:A player I would label expendable is KK but let's give him one more year.

Same here. Not until 2022-23, no way.

With "what we have" assuming no help at the C position, I see this for our 1-2-3C (I'm trading Domi for long term help on LD at this year's TDL):

Rest of this year: Danault/Domi-->Suzuki/Kotkaniemi
2020-21: Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi
2021-22: Suzuki/Kotkaniemi/Danault (re-signed for 2-3C money, not 1C since Suzuki took over already)

^^^^all the way to the late 2020's. Maybe Caufield becomes a star and we have enough offense to gun for a Cup, who really knows. Just not likely at this point.

Of the 24 to 26 year old age group (Danault, Armia, Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen) I think Domi provides the least value to the Habs given the young centres we seem to be developing. Danault's defensive game makes him a keeper IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What I have seen to date, I would have to say no but I am open to persuasion. Right now the centers I would keep are Domi, Suzuki, and Danault. There's very little of KK's game that impresses me.

He's still one of the 6 youngeat players in the league or something like that. Let's give him a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad