Post-Game Talk: Hawks easily handle Devils, 5-2

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It was dumb if you thought Versteeg still wasn't 100% (me), was playing with questionable effort (me), and thought we had players that could provide comparative value for a fraction of the salary. With the amount of young players we have in our stable that are NHL ready, and in some cases, should be receiving playing time as it is I didn't think it was a great trade at the time.

I didn't think it was bad, just not very helpful. So far, Stan is looking very good on this one.

Who's going to be as good as him for a fraction of $2.2M?

ZzM4S.gif

As for effort, don't know how you could hold that against him. He was playing on an awful Florida team, I'd probably get bored too.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The other thing about the Versteeg trade is I have to think it would be a positive to resigning Kane.

Not that I think it's likely he goes anywhere else regardless, or would be a determining factor either way, but bringing in an old buddy has got to make him feel better about the organization.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Who's going to be as good as him for a fraction of $2.2M?

ZzM4S.gif

As for effort, don't know how you could hold that against him. He was playing on an awful Florida team, I'd probably get bored too.

Hayes, Morin, and even Smith with what I thought we'd get out of Versteeg. I thought we'd get a lazy player and one that didn't have the speed or skating ability post injury. Obviously that thought was proven to be wrong , but at the time it wasn't that far fetched.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If anything Zac is admitting he was wrong about a player, something rarely seen on these forums. I knew what Versteeg could do, but I certainly had reservations about bringing in a player with motivational issues. Versteeg is a guy that likes to win. So long as his captain hates to lose, you can get away with a few guys like Kris on the roster.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Hayes, Morin, and even Smith with what I thought we'd get out of Versteeg. I thought we'd get a lazy player and one that didn't have the speed or skating ability post injury. Obviously that thought was proven to be wrong , but at the time it wasn't that far fetched.
I too had reservations about Versteeg. 2.2m is less than the average 3rd liner though, which makes offloading him not at all a problem.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I too had reservations about Versteeg. 2.2m is less than the average 3rd liner though, which makes offloading him not at all a problem.

What's worrisome is that Versteeg is obviously very pumped to return to the Hawk fold..... and once the euphoria is over, he will be the same player that was deemed dispendable by several other teams in the past few years. The PO's will make or break his value to the present day Hawks, imo.

CertainAffinity*

What's worrisome is that Versteeg is obviously very pumped to return to the Hawk fold..... and once the euphoria is over, he will be the same player that was deemed dispendable by several other teams in the past few years. The PO's will make or break his value to the present day Hawks, imo.

That doesn't make sense, Versteeg has only gotten better with the Hawks as time has gone on.

Euphoria isn't adrenaline. If you're happy and excited to come to work every day, then the positive benefits of that are going to last a lot longer than the positive charge you get from a big game, or a return from injury, or whatnot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad