Having faceoffs in the offensive zone to start a period if a team has a power play

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Chances are this would never happen but I was thinking if the NHL wanted a new and crazy rule, what about having the faceoff in the offensive zone for a team who starts the 2nd and 3rd periods on a power play and not at centre ice. If that happened would there be more goal scoring and increase the number of power play goals on penalties which get carried over into the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I'd be down for it if it was a delayed penalty that is starting purely because of the break in periods.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Or if the team that's on the the penalty kill ice the puck it still counts as an icing

Now that would create more goals. To make it a little less brutal on the PK team, what if the rule was that they have to get the blue line (i.e. clear their own zone) rather than the red line for it to not be considered icing?

As for the OP, sure, give it a go. I don't think it's "crazy" at all. It's just a minor tweak.

If you want "crazy" ideas for getting point totals up ... how about we force all draws to be taken by defensemen, forwards don't get sticks to start the PK, goalies play wblind-folded, and everyone on the ice for the PP goal gets and assist :)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Id rather extend the period to take into account the powerplay and start the following period short.

IE powerplay at minute 39:00 - 2nd period goes to minute 41:00 with third period only having 19 minutes in it.

It sucks having a powerplay broken up by the end of the period.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
i thought it was proven zone starts have little impact on the game?

Not sure how that could ever be true. Win a face-off in the offensive zone and you don't need to break out, cross blue line or go through the other teams defensive set up.

Win a face-off in the defensive zone and you have to go through the breakout, forecheck, etc

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I think he meant face offs have been proven to have a negligible impact on scoring.

In the end its one of many 50/50 puck battles. Youll see a minor minor impact on scoring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be down for it if it was a delayed penalty that is starting purely because of the break in periods.
Yeah, I agree with this. It should only happen if the PP starts with the start of the period.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Chances are this would never happen but I was thinking if the NHL wanted a new and crazy rule, what about having the faceoff in the offensive zone for a team who starts the 2nd and 3rd periods on a power play and not at centre ice. If that happened would there be more goal scoring and increase the number of power play goals on penalties which get carried over into the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Im down, but how about adding an additional tweak......assuming the offensive team HAS POSSESSION prior to ending of period, if they don't......then a center ice FO seems applicable.

Shouldnt penalize the defensive team if they actually HAD THE PUCK when the buzzer sounds.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Or if the team that's on the the penalty kill ice the puck it still counts as an icing

This would create too many whistles and risk a lot more injuries/penalties with tired players on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad