Have you grown out of really listening to music?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
There's almost too much new good music afaic... it's like there's a firehose effect... I can't seem to absorb it the same way. I don't think I can even work anymore without music on. I probably have it on 10-12 hours a day. And with a virtually infinite supply at my fingertips, I'm trying something new basically every day. But in that way it doesn't seem to resonate as deeply with me as newly discovered music did when I was younger. Even if I like it. It still doesn't become a part of me the same way.
(snip).

Here here.

Although, some new/modern bands have become absolute staples and new favorites. They'll never surpass my ultimate favorites, but that was never possible to me. They have surpassed other ex-favorites from yesteryear, which is no small task. Just one of those things, a band might REALLY grab you and something just clicks like crazy for no or a specific reason, or you'll just enjoy them a lot but in a different way than you used to.

On another related note, I see many people who listen to such-n-such bands/acts, but don't keep up with their later releases and just stick with the classics. I can't even understand that. Not liking it much, sure, and for sure I can understand the new material not forcing its way into your feelings like the older stuff had as you grew up, but to not even listen? Tough one for me. I say this because a couple of my favorites have released new albums in the past 2-3 years which have become top 1-2 releases to me, over 20+ year careers! Surpassing the stuff I loved, grew up on, and listened to more times than I could ever count? That's amazing to me. So many people are missing out in that respect alone, just sticking with their "usual suspects".

But I guess if you aren't into it on a certain level, you just aren't.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You simply got old. Ever heard of the phrase “my generation of music is better.”

Part of the reason you don’t listen to new songs, it’s really for the younger generation, most songs talk about love, breakups or nowadays getting drunk, exes.

Just remember when you were young, most hits during your time basically talked about the same subjects, but you could relate to them since you were young, love was everything, partying and getting drunk was cool.

Now imagine you being your age, listening to the radio about getting drunk, partying till its morning, losing love, naw man that is for young people.

Fact is you got old. It will be the same for today’s kids when they get old to.

You listen to songs in the 50’s and now.. they all still have the same premise.. young love, living life to the fullest... you will be attached to songs that were part of your generation’s youth, you will never be able to relate to music now, it’s simply not your generation.

Give my youth back and i’m sure i’ll love the songs now. Ahh to be young again.
Are you under the impression that people who hold this sentiment here actually grew up in the 50s and are 70-90 years old?

Also, not everybody primarily listens to the hits that are targeted at teenage experiences to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On another related note, I see many people who listen to such-n-such bands/acts, but don't keep up with their later releases and just stick with the classics. I can't even understand that. Not liking it much, sure, and for sure I can understand the new material not forcing its way into your feelings like the older stuff had as you grew up, but to not even listen? Tough one for me. I say this because a couple of my favorites have released new albums in the past 2-3 years which have become top 1-2 releases to me, over 20+ year careers! Surpassing the stuff I loved, grew up on, and listened to more times than I could ever count? That's amazing to me. So many people are missing out in that respect alone, just sticking with their "usual suspects".

I definitely have more appreciation for in-their-prime new acts than the (in my view) over-the-hill acts of the bands that I loved most in their primes, personally-- the attention that the latter gets out of goodwill and pre-existing interest would actually be one of my gripes and something that I'll never understand. I don't think "classics" should be determined by what you grew up with anyways-- just which albums you think have the most lasting power. They're classics because they endure, not because they hold a special place in your heart, IMO.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You simply got old. Ever heard of the phrase “my generation of music is better.”

Part of the reason you don’t listen to new songs, it’s really for the younger generation, most songs talk about love, breakups or nowadays getting drunk, exes.

Just remember when you were young, most hits during your time basically talked about the same subjects, but you could relate to them since you were young, love was everything, partying and getting drunk was cool.

Now imagine you being your age, listening to the radio about getting drunk, partying till its morning, losing love, naw man that is for young people.

Fact is you got old. It will be the same for today’s kids when they get old to.

You listen to songs in the 50’s and now.. they all still have the same premise.. young love, living life to the fullest... you will be attached to songs that were part of your generation’s youth, you will never be able to relate to music now, it’s simply not your generation.

Give my youth back and i’m sure i’ll love the songs now. Ahh to be young again.
Or got smarter.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I would say I have to take this purely on a case-by-case basis. Like in another thread here, I haven't listened to the last 5 AC/DC albums. And I just went to Wikipedia to figure out how many new Ozzy Osbourne albums there have been since I stopped paying attention. But then the new Testament and new Sepultura are absolutely at the top of my playlist. As just a couple examples. Metallica and Iron Maiden are probably somewhere in between... at least I give it a listen, but end up choosing to stick with the earlier prime works and hardly ever going back to the newer works. I don't think I can discern a generalization. Maybe some of these acts are "over-the-hill" and just regurgitating material to make money, I don't know - but I tend not to think so, that seems a little cynical to me, and they seem pretty excited by their work, and if they've lost any technical skills due to age, I don't think that very often stands out in a produced studio album (except maybe for singers). But it's definitely not impossible for a veteran band to come out with something new that to me stands up to their earlier works, or perhaps even surpasses them.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would say I have to take this purely on a case-by-case basis. Like in another thread here, I haven't listened to the last 5 AC/DC albums. And I just went to Wikipedia to figure out how many new Ozzy Osbourne albums there have been since I stopped paying attention. But then the new Testament and new Sepultura are absolutely at the top of my playlist. As just a couple examples. Metallica and Iron Maiden are probably somewhere in between... at least I give it a listen, but end up choosing to stick with the earlier prime works and hardly ever going back to the newer works. I don't think I can discern a generalization. Maybe some of these acts are "over-the-hill" and just regurgitating material to make money, I don't know - but I tend not to think so, that seems a little cynical to me, and they seem pretty excited by their work, and if they've lost any technical skills due to age, I don't think that very often stands out in a produced studio album (except maybe for singers). But it's definitely not impossible for a veteran band to come out with something new that to me stands up to their earlier works, or perhaps even surpasses them.
To be clear, my comment was not implying that over-the-hill acts stick around to regurgitate material to make money-- I'm sure THEY are still making a sincere effort, but it's inevitable that everybody loses something as they get really old, IMO. Even some of the acclaimed examples of this, like Bowie's Blackstar, to me, sound like a significant step down from their best work, to my ears. I do occasionally try them when they seem really promising, but I'm almost always let down by that circumstance-- and when I like them, it's moderate appeal at best, so I can absolutely understand why people would skip them entirely, and don't get why anybody would scoff at that as if it's unreasonable.

People who only pay attention to the retirement versions of artists from the 60s-80s but ignore modern acts, I really do not understand.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

Definitely case-by-case. Like Metallica, I remember running to get Load upon release, and it was downhill from there. I liked it for a while but it never got close to what I was used to, and I got into them in the early 90s somewhere (I was only a pre-teen) so I wasn't even christened in their earliest thrash. Anyway, I listened to everything as it came out but just didn't care enough to do so again, save for a couple songs. Then Hardwired... came out and to me it's their best release since 91! If I'd written them off I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it.

Testament, man, they just get better it seems. That's why I rarely if ever give up on bands I enjoy, they never falter and I never really change either.

I haven't really cared much for new Maiden, but newer Priest has been very enjoyable. Imagine having stopped listening to them before Painkiller came out because the sound was a bit different :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Definitely case-by-case. Like Metallica, I remember running to get Load upon release, and it was downhill from there. I liked it for a while but it never got close to what I was used to, and I got into them in the early 90s somewhere (I was only a pre-teen) so I wasn't even christened in their earliest thrash. Anyway, I listened to everything as it came out but just didn't care enough to do so again, save for a couple songs. Then Hardwired... came out and to me it's their best release since 91! If I'd written them off I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it.

Testament, man, they just get better it seems. That's why I rarely if ever give up on bands I enjoy, they never falter and I never really change either.

I haven't really cared much for new Maiden, but newer Priest has been very enjoyable. Imagine having stopped listening to them before Painkiller came out because the sound was a bit different :laugh:
Hardwired and Firepower are great examples of cases where I listened, liked, thought those were right at the top of the game for those veteran acts... fantastic comebacks... and yet somehow still didn't really give the albums the same kind of due I would have if they had come out 30 years ago. :confused: So yeah, it's not all on them, it's on me too. I think the firehose I talked about above might be part of it still. Yeah, that was a great Metallica album... but hold on I don't have time to listen to it over and over again like I did with Puppets because I have 20 more new albums queued up on YouTube today, and 20 more tomorrow, etc. Which is something I did not remotely have 30 years ago.

Whereas Testament and Sepultura... I liked them 30 years ago too, but not to the extent that they were all-time favorites that I listened to every single day or played over and over again on a loop... so when they put out something new that sounds great, it's a little bit more surprising somehow? They aren't held up to quite the same standards for comparison, maybe, so I find it easier to give their new work more attention? I don't know if that makes any sense. :dunno:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Hardwired and Firepower are great examples of cases where I listened, liked, thought those were right at the top of the game for those veteran acts... fantastic comebacks... and yet somehow still didn't really give the albums the same kind of due I would have if they had come out 30 years ago. :confused: So yeah, it's not all on them, it's on me too. I think the firehose I talked about above might be part of it still. Yeah, that was a great Metallica album... but hold on I don't have time to listen to it over and over again like I did with Puppets because I have 20 more new albums queued up on YouTube today, and 20 more tomorrow, etc. Which is something I did not remotely have 30 years ago.

Whereas Testament and Sepultura... I liked them 30 years ago too, but not to the extent that they were all-time favorites that I listened to every single day or played over and over again on a loop... so when they put out something new that sounds great, it's a little bit more surprising somehow? They aren't held up to quite the same standards for comparison, maybe, so I find it easier to give their new work more attention? I don't know if that makes any sense. :dunno:

I agree on all accounts. While for instance Hardwired is the best thing since self-titled/black album, it'll never hold the same relevance. I'm not sure it's so much our fault that we don't embrace it as much automatically, but things hit us differently/less than when we're younger and we're no longer "growing" with it. I don't know. Like you said it's just that much harder for things to be on par with some of the best songs ever written too.

Re: Testament, Never a huge fan of them or many of the other acts I could liken to them, but they were always reliable. You can always trust them to put out something worth listening to, it won't be totally phoned in or fake, etc. Tons of thrash/death metal old timers like that are good for that! I think that's why these days I say, if I have to pick, that death metal is my favorite. I can put on nearly anything and it's pretty much all pretty good at minimum. For me, Ozzy (and Sab) are #1, but if I were to put on other acts from the same genre I'd get bored way sooner.

Ozzy's past few albums have been, naturally, ho-hum, but the latest is pretty damn good I must say. I'm not blind enough to say everything he does is great either, when something sucks it sucks. But the new one has some really good songs, most notably the ballads which I've always loved from him. They won't join the ranks of Blizzard, No More Tears, etc. but they're definitely staying in rotation for me, probably forever.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Ozzy's past few albums have been, naturally, ho-hum, but the latest is pretty damn good I must say. I'm not blind enough to say everything he does is great either, when something sucks it sucks. But the new one has some really good songs, most notably the ballads which I've always loved from him. They won't join the ranks of Blizzard, No More Tears, etc. but they're definitely staying in rotation for me, probably forever.

I think the rhythm section of Chad Smith and Duff McKagen really added a lot of energy. Both excellent players who both do a lot of work outside their main gigs.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's so much great new music that isn't Top 40 or autotuned. Take the new album by Liane La Havas for example. Wonderful.

Jackie Venson just dropped a new album, as did Puscifer. Blood From The Soul, a revived side project of Napalm Death which has Jacob from Converge singing (Lou from Sick Of It All did on their original 1993 album) released an album yesterday.

The rest is just from my personal point of view and might not be relevant. I'm a little older (late 30s) and at a point in my career where I have a lot more responsibility than just being a worker (unofficial PM, data analyst, design, training, I'm a point of contact for every department in my company and put out fires before they start, etc.) so that means a lot more Zoom, a lot longer hours, and lot less opportunity to just zone out and listen to tunes.

I don't know if anyone has this problem either but I'm nocturnal and can't listen to loud music in the morning. I get really bad headaches because it takes about two cups of coffee and two glasses of water before I'm not a zombie.

Weekends are spent working on hobbies, working out, dating game, getting ready for post-Covid.

I might hear like three new albums a week and like 10-12 a month, and it sounds good but because I'm doing stuff, most of it just doesn't stick.

So all of this limits just being a student, watching videos on MTV, and playing along to albums Flea, Eric Avery, and Cliff Burton basslines.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Gotta say, since podcasts have become more popular, I always turn to them before music. I still like music in social situations and background noise, but if I'm by myself driving or working out or something, I'll just listen to podcasts

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's important to note that literally only one guy brought up auto-tune. It's obvious that that's a bad argument that isn't really representative of the sentiment.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not if used correctly, it's ok.
Uhh.. I'm open to that idea in theory, but they aren't really what people are thinking about when people refer to it, and personally, I haven't heard a super convincing example (looked up a list of tasteful uses of auto-tune and I didn't actively enjoy any of them, personally).

It's similar to what a studio laughter (canned or uncanned) does to a TV show, IMO. The idea that it can be used properly seems valid to me, but I haven't watched anything where I wouldn't rather it be done without it, personally.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It's similar to what a studio laughter (canned or uncanned) does to a TV show, IMO. The idea that it can be used properly seems valid to me, but I haven't watched anything where I wouldn't rather it be done without it, personally.

Example here at 3:28-4:15

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Example here at 3:28-4:15

I'm not familiar with the movie, but that's an example of it being used almost ironically, right? I don't think that really counts when it comes to what we're talking about.

What I mean is, there are often cases where people say that authentic laughter sincerely gaves a show this genuine live stage presence that is endearing, but I've never felt that way, personally.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What people are referring to when they say auto-tune is the "auto-tune effect" (think Cher) rather than simply the use of pitch correction, which is what auto-tune actually is. Most of the time, it's not used in a way that's recognizable.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
At some point, I lost that passion to check out new artists, but I still love listening to music.
There's a lot of good posts here, but this for me is the most accurate. I am not sure if OP lost passion for music, but lost passion for the search of it and it happens the older you get and the more times you listen to the songs you have. It happens and with the introduction of other forms of entertainment like podcasts and audiobooks it has simply reduced music as being one of the main sources of sound. I still love my music, I still love creating music, but there are times that I have to break from it and listen to podcast/audiobooks. However, I can't listen to podcasts and audiobooks my entire life either so I go through these cycles.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There's a lot of good posts here, but this for me is the most accurate. I am not sure if OP lost passion for music, but lost passion for the search of it and it happens the older you get and the more times you listen to the songs you have. It happens and with the introduction of other forms of entertainment like podcasts and audiobooks it has simply reduced music as being one of the main sources of sound. I still love my music, I still love creating music, but there are times that I have to break from it and listen to podcast/audiobooks. However, I can't listen to podcasts and audiobooks my entire life either so I go through these cycles.
Also, sounds like a lot of us never had that passion to begin with (myself included), so when the results/success rate gets really low, interest in finding supposed outliers really dwindles.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also, sounds like a lot of us never had that passion to begin with (myself included), so when the results/success rate gets really low, interest in finding supposed outliers really dwindles.
I argue that streams like Spotify, Pandora, and Sirius helps for you lot who don't want to waste the time on it or simply can't. That's where a change in genres might be needed, there's a ton of underground genres that never get the light of day. I know me personally got sick of a lot of rock/metal genres and then I found Industrial and it became one of my favourite.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I argue that streams like Spotify, Pandora, and Sirius helps for you lot who don't want to waste the time on it or simply can't. That's where a change in genres might be needed, there's a ton of underground genres that never get the light of day. it beI know me personally got sick of a lot of rock/metal genres and then I found Industrial andcame one of my favourite.
But it sounds like services like those do the opposite of what you're saying, primarily catering to what you already like, when in reality, it's unlikely that the genres that thrive in the past will continue to thrive in the future. Seems kind of antithetical to me. The idea that anyone is bound to find things they'll love because tools will help narrow them down have always seemed superficial to me (and hell, ALL of those benefits will apply to finding old music today as well).

I prefer the approach of looking for people whose tastes and sensibilities you already respect and who are still actively looking for things, and see what still grabs them. But again, I've only had modest success at best in finding things that I like nearly as much as my favorites, using both approaches.

At the end of the day, I find it very disingenuous how so many people in this thread are trying to find a dismissable reason for why people who feel a certain way must be misguided, instead of just accepting that people value different things and might organically come to a conclusion that they disagree with. Any bias against modern music that one can think of that could hypothetically be at play can just as easily occur as any bias in favor of modern music (recency bias can be every bit as powerful and blurry as nostalgia). It's really unfair to guess away at things like that and spin narratives based on those guesses, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->