Have you ever switched allegiance from one club to another?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In a previous life I was sympathetic to the fortunes of Rangers. Then they died and I discovered I could get much more enjoyment from laughing at their failures than I could from sharing in their success.

That's about it, really.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
When I was still on my football training wheels I was a Sounders fan, simply because they were what was televised in Montana (and then Portland). Once I knew I was moving to LA I sunk my teeth into the Galaxy, and I only really got into the MLS when I started going to the games here.

No MLS teams in Pittsburgh or anywhere near Montana, so finding a club to really invest in took time.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Usually you don't do that, but...

I support my hometown club (Hannover 96) for all my life. But since they used to play in lower leagues (2nd Bundesliga and third division) in the past for a long time
I picked other Bundesliga teams that played well at the time. Some years ago I liked Hamburger SV (the Kaltz/Hrubesch years), later Borussia Dortmund (Riedle/Kohler years).
Since Hannover play in the Bundesliga on a regular basis again I only support my team.

I know many of my friends did the same, some stuck with the new team, though. Mostly Bayern.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I know a lot of people who were Metrostars/Red Bulls fans and then suddenly switched when NYCFC came about.

I took great pride in sitting at Yankee Stadium watching the Red Bulls smash that Man City branding experiment.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
If I was a Real Madrid fan I would also switch allegiance... :D

tumblr_ly0tyoC2if1qdqmz4o1_500.gif

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
A friend of mine went from Arsenal to Liverpool to Chelsea, all in a space of about 4 years. I don't understand it at all.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
One of my best friends lives in Montpellier, which is not too far from Barcelona.

He goes to Barça games regularly and has been trying to brainwash me for a while :laugh:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In my oppinion there's only one club that should be in your heart. And preferably one, that you have some relation to. For most of the football fans around the world, that is your local football club.

Aside that, you might have favourites in different leagues and competitions. Connection to those clubs is probably not as big, but you still follow them when you can. Changing allegiance with those clubs is all right IMO because it's more about entertainment than football with those clubs.

And a nice quote from sir Bobby Robson:
"What is a club in any case?

Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I have liverpool in England (and this is the club that I cheer for over all others), Barcelona in Spain, and whitecaps FC in North America.

Sometimes, I enjoy certain players so much, that I become a fan of their respective club for a period of time, but that list above does not sway.

Isnt is common to have multiple allegiances considering the sheer number of quality leagues involved?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I have liverpool in England (and this is the club that I cheer for over all others), Barcelona in Spain, and whitecaps FC in North America.

Sometimes, I enjoy certain players so much, that I become a fan of their respective club for a period of time, but that list above does not sway.

Isnt is common to have multiple allegiances considering the sheer number of quality leagues involved?

But isn't it a case of "like" instead of "love"?

Yes, I like some teams in Europe, even some NT (like France in 98), but I would love only my local team.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It is most definitely a case of like v love. I have a team I root for in each of the major leagues (except France, just because difficulty accessing games). The only team I love is Chelsea, and that won't change. Chelsea comes before anything else

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
This is clearly McSorely's way of looking for validation to change his team :sarcasm:

No, I've never switched allegiance. Always supported Anderlecht and started supporting Chelsea nearly 14 years ago now. I used to love watching AC Milan and Real play in the late 90's and early 00's but not really a fan per se. I too appreciate teams playing good football regardless of who they are, but I would never actively root for them.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Why? I just finished reading a book about Barca's history

I just emailed you an electronic copy.

#ViscaBarca

Would love to read more about their history tbh. I hate them, but I respect them a great deal.

Toronto FC, now, that's another story :laugh:

My ranking in terms of my fandom would be:

Impact de Montréal (irrational unconditional love)

RMCF (love)

Arsenal (like)

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Would love to read more about their history tbh. I hate them, but I respect them a great deal.

Toronto FC, now, that's another story :laugh:

My ranking in terms of my fandom would be:

Impact de Montréal (irrational unconditional love)

RMCF (love)

Arsenal (like)

The book is great

200 pages about independence and oppression, 2 pages about the football club

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I cheered for Milan when they won the 2007 CL.

It was much easier to follow Arsenal though and I felt more attached to them over the year since I could actually watch their games on t.v. lol.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I almost left Liverpool when during the Hicks/Gillett era some fans started burning American flags but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->