Have we seen the best of Willy?

• No, he's going to improve

• Yes, but he'll remain at that level for many years

• Yes, he's going to continue to regress

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
GM Dumbass should have waited him out and not sign him on the last day b4 Nylander would have missed the season.

Leafs were on a roll without him and would have done better.

It would have also set the tone on the Mathews and Marner contract ....that were to follow after Nylander.

With G.M. Dumbass signings (Nylander/Mathews) he has set into motion a more expensive off season throughout the league than it needed to be.
Yeah man. Signing the guy who has since put up a 56.5 CF% and a 56.2 Expected goals % has totally ruined the team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander's got the potential to be a point per game player, but not how he's currently playing. He's too much of a perimeter guy now and doesn't play enough in the dirty areas where a lot more points are produced.

The big difference between a guy like Marner and a guy like Nylander is Marner seems willing to go anywhere on the ice to make a play, whereas Nylander seems to only look to create if it doesn't involve him possibly taking a hit or having to battle toward the net.

*Key word "consistently" since this forum has a tendency to want to nitpick minute details by showing a video of one or two times where Nylander scores/assists on a goal 5 feet from the net in the dirty areas.
what makes you say that? he's been one of the best players in the whole league lately at getting scoring chances in dirty areas (4th in March in total scoring chances). he goes to the net all the time

Reactions: Mitchy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
what makes you say that? he's been one of the best players in the whole league lately at getting scoring chances in dirty areas (3rd in March I believe). he goes to the net all the time

Key word "lately". As I said, I'm judging his overall performance, not just the latest stretch.

And what measurement are you using? There's a difference between creating a high danger chance for a linemate with a pass (ie. setting up Matthews in front of the net) and being the one who goes to those areas himself.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Key word "lately". As I said, I'm judging his overall performance, not just the latest stretch.

And what measurement are you using? There's a difference between creating a high danger chance for a linemate with a pass (ie. setting up Matthews in front of the net) and being the one who goes to those areas himself.
isn't the last stretch lately? and I was using total individual scoring chances, so the ones he gets by himself. he's 4th behind Gallagher, Matthews, and Meier. he is pretty terrible at finishing though

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Yeah. Hes not gonna get better. Its all down hill from here. Sucks to be old.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
isn't the last stretch lately? and I was using total individual scoring chances, so the ones he gets by himself. he's 4th behind Gallagher, Matthews, and Meier. he is pretty terrible at finishing though

Not sure what site you're using, but naturalstatrick has him at 2nd in SCF for the past month, but he drops all the way down to 30th in HDCF, which kind of mirrors what I said. He can create, but his "dirty area" creation needs work.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
How many players peak at 22 or younger? Would love to know the statistics behind that. I'm guessing it's a very low percentage.

Funny how things work when the tables turn. A prime example was Gaudreau vs Marner and also vs Nylander in polls over the years.

The argument being against Gaudreau that he was 22/23 and already well in his prime...

As for OP’s question... still too early to tell. This season was a weird one for Nylander. Give him next season to work with.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
If he can improve his shot then sure. He hasn’t really shown any improvement there yet though so I went with no.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Funny how things work when the tables turn. A prime example was Gaudreau vs Marner and also vs Nylander in polls over the years.

The argument being against Gaudreau that he was 22/23 and already well in his prime...

As for OP’s question... still too early to tell. This season was a weird one for Nylander. Give him next season to work with.
I had a few arguments about Gaudreau and Marner, but none of them were saying Johnny was in his prime or about him peaking. I'm sure there was someone out there saying that but I can only speak for myself.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I had a few arguments about Gaudreau and Marner, but none of them were saying Johnny was in his prime or about him peaking. I'm sure there was someone out there saying that but I can only speak for myself.

That’s fair. I wasn’t necessarily pointing you out so my bad.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yes he peaked at 21 *eye roll*

Also this thread ignores that after his first 19 games he was on the first line and sucked (which is expected missing half the year). Then after that he was on the third line for the entire time aside from the past 10ish games in which he has been almost PPG.

I mean he is making 6.9M next year. If he can put up 65-70 points on W for Matthews that is more than a fair contract. Lots of stat line scouting too as visually Nylander has been pretty damn good for a while just super unlucky (tons of posts and missing the net).

Reactions: Menzinger

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Lmao, imagine being one of the people voting that he's going to regress further than this year. If puts up anything under a 50 points over a full season in the next 5 years, I'll eat a shoe.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not sure what site you're using, but naturalstatrick has him at 2nd in SCF for the past month, but he drops all the way down to 30th in HDCF, which kind of mirrors what I said. He can create, but his "dirty area" creation needs work.
well there's a gap between could use work and is too much of a perimeter player, no? I think #2 in scoring chances and #30 in high danger chances is pretty good, especially for a pass first guy

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Not reading all that. First I wanted your opinion not some randoms and if your gonna just listen to what just anybody has to say at least summarize it.

Okay I change my mind. Nylander is the greatest shooter in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->