• No, he's going to improve

• Yes, but he'll remain at that level for many years

• Yes, he's going to continue to regress

Results are only viewable after voting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Throwing out his first 19 games where he only had 3 points, he's still only put up 5g 23p in his last 31gp. That's a 60p pace - slightly worse than what we saw from him during his first 2 full seasons.

I'm not arguing he'll be markedly worse than he was during his ELC, but I do wonder how much better he will become? He's definitely still got the ability to dominate a game, as we've seen, but I think many (myself included) thought he'd be able to elevate to elite status.

I still think that he put on a bit too much muscle and has lost some of his quickness as a result. And given his preference to play on the perimeter, I think it's impacted a big part of his game.

Side note - Toronto was 20-8-0 before Nylander, but have won only half of the 50 games they've played since Nylander joined the lineup. I'm not for sure saying Nylander is at fault for that as I don't catch every leaf game, but for a team as talented as Toronto that's quite awful.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He gets the benefit of the doubt till next season from me

Lets see what a full summer of training and training camp and starting season on time can do for him.

I voted option A. I dont think he's going to become a 100pt player or anything - but he will improve.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The idea that he won’t improve as he ages into his prime years likely doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny other than belief by some folks. He’s been shooting at like 5% this season which is under half of his career norm so far

He also has been getting like 15min a night and is on a pp unit that isn’t producing much.

A smart bet is increased production pace next season, particularly if he stays on one of the top lines alongside Matthews from the start of the season

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He's 22, so I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I don't know if he can improve his offensive production by much but he might improve his all around game .

Also I'm sure he'll have a season or two where he posts more than 61 points just based on the Leafs talented roster, the league-wide increase in scoring and him having a (hopefully) long career ahead of him

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
How many players peak at 22 or younger? Would love to know the statistics behind that. I'm guessing it's a very low percentage.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Seriously doubt when he retires his career season will be a 60 point season, so I voted first option. Wouldn't surprise me if he had more 60 point seasons than 70+ points when his career has ended though.

Still a valuable player to have around, especially considering the chemistry between him and Matthews, and the space he opens up for Auston.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
He's going to have more pressure on him than almost any other player next year. With that contract holdout and the price, if he doesn't put up 65-70, at least it'll be pretty disappointing imo.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I could see him improving slightly offensively, but definitely rounding out his game. I could see a few 70+ point seasons.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think he will be around a 70pt player, I'd like to see what happens next year with a full training camp under his belt to be sure.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Side note - Toronto was 20-8-0 before Nylander, but have won only half of the 50 games they've played since Nylander joined the lineup. I'm not for sure saying Nylander is at fault for that as I don't catch every leaf game, but for a team as talented as Toronto that's quite awful.

How generous of you to only imply it!

The Leafs have substantially better underlying numbers with Nylander in the lineup. You would have to be oblivious to think they're a worse team with him.

Reactions: Mats13 and JFG

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think he might do a little better than his career high (61) but I've always expected him to be a 60-70pt guy anyways. So I guess I'll vote 2, but not in a negative way by any means.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Throwing out his first 19 games where he only had 3 points, he's still only put up 5g 23p in his last 31gp. That's a 60p pace - slightly worse than what we saw from him during his first 2 full seasons.

I'm not arguing he'll be markedly worse than he was during his ELC, but I do wonder how much better he will become? He's definitely still got the ability to dominate a game, as we've seen, but I think many (myself included) thought he'd be able to elevate to elite status.

I still think that he put on a bit too much muscle and has lost some of his quickness as a result. And given his preference to play on the perimeter, I think it's impacted a big part of his game.

I would blame coaching more than Nylander, but that's besides the point. The best is clearly yet to come from him, he'll end up in the 70-80 point range IMO with very good all around play in the near future.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How generous of you to only imply it!

The Leafs have substantially better underlying numbers with Nylander in the lineup. You would have to be oblivious to think they're a worse team with him.

I highly doubt anyone who says this stuff watches many of our games, which to be fair he admitted to.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think he will improve, but not to a 80/90pt player yearly. I see him being at 65/75pts as an avg

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think he's mostly who he is at this point. Keep in mind he's only played 15:30 TOI per game this season, the majority of which was on the 3rd line and 2nd unit PP. Hard to score 60 in that situation. If he were getting 18 minutes on the first line with 1st unit PP, his numbers would be considerably better.

Realistically, he's a first line RW who should be the 2nd best player on his line. Also, the Leafs didn't keep up their 20-8 record post Nylander because they're not a 117 pts team. Rather embarrassing that would even need to be stated.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
GM Dumbass should have waited him out and not sign him on the last day b4 Nylander would have missed the season.

Leafs were on a roll without him and would have done better.

It would have also set the tone on the Mathews and Marner contract ....that were to follow after Nylander.

With G.M. Dumbass signings (Nylander/Mathews) he has set into motion a more expensive off season throughout the league than it needed to be.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nylander's got the potential to be a point per game player, but not how he's currently playing. He's too much of a perimeter guy now and doesn't play enough in the dirty areas where a lot more points are produced.

The big difference between a guy like Marner and a guy like Nylander is Marner seems willing to go anywhere on the ice to make a play, whereas Nylander seems to only look to create if it doesn't involve him possibly taking a hit or having to battle toward the net.

*Key word "consistently" since this forum has a tendency to want to nitpick minute details by showing a video of one or two times where Nylander scores/assists on a goal 5 feet from the net in the dirty areas.

Reactions: Snowman

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
GM Dumbass should have waited him out and not sign him on the last day b4 Nylander would have missed the season.

Leafs were on a roll without him and would have done better.

Yeah they were on a roll based on ridiculously high shooting percentages, Vezina goaltending and a PP that couldn't be stopped. They were a thoroughly average 5v5 team until Nylander joined.

Now that the Leafs goalies are letting everything in and the 1st PP unit that was torching the league doesn't score as much (which Nylander isn't on), the team is worse and it's all his fault somehow.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad