Have the 04´ NYR prospect depth ever been matched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I was putting together a list with the top NYR prospects and I wonder if there ever have been a team in this league with as much prospect depth as the NYR 04´?

I am not talking about their top 10 but from there they have prospects from the 10th spot all the way to 34 who all have a solid shoot of making it to the NHL. Some of them with allot of upside too. 7 of them have been 2nd round pics in the 04´ or 03´ draft. From the 10th spot and on they have guys like Jarkko Immonen, David Olver, Zednik Bahensky and Nigel Dawes who all have great upside and further proves that the NYR have a knock for late round steals...(For ex. Zidlicky in 02´)

Here is my list:
1. Montoya - Top ranked goalie 04´.
2. Tyutin - Has 25 games under his belt and looked great.
3. Lundqvist - Best goalie in Europe.
4. Jessiman - Great upside.
5. Prucha - Draw allot of attention in last WC. MVP in 2/4 international tournaments.
6. Balej - As nifty as they come. One of the better snipers in the AHL. Great upside.
7. Korpikoski - Kyle Woodliefs fav. Top scorer in U-18 WJC
8. Murray - Top notch grinder. Starred for the Canadian WJC 02´ team.
9. Kondratiev - Returneé in the Leetch trade. Will play next year.
10. Immonen - According to the finns one of the better young players they have.
11. Tomas Pock - Looked great in the NHL for a short stint. Allot of skills.
12. Dwieght Helminen - Best defensive forward in college. Best center in U18-WJC.
13. Olver - 36th overall 04´
14. Labarbarera - MVP in the AHL.
15. Baranka - Rockstrom steal in the Tyutin mold. 50th overall 03´
16. Bahensky - Top import CHL.
17. Daniel Byres - 48th overall 04´.
18. Lampman - Have had great camps for 3 years now. Looked good in the NHL.
19. Bruce Graham - 55th overall 04. Sens would have taken him if not for Mezaros.
20. Dave Liffiton - 2nd round 03´ by the AVS. Came in return for Barnaby
21. Rick Kozak - 2nd round 03 by the Flyers. Came in return for Malahkov.
22. Chad Wiseman - Top scorer for HFD in the AHL. Tremendous speed.
23. Jake Taylor - 6´5 defensemen. Tough as nails and good skater.
24. Greg Moore - Won gold in last years WJC. Came in return for Simon
25. D. Moore - Steve´s brother. More skilled, not as fast and feisty.
26. Marcus Jonasen - 3rd round pick in 03´. 6´5 winger, captain for Tri-City WHL.
27. Jan Marek - Top notch skills. Top scorer in Chechz top league. Finesse player.
28. Nigel Dawes - Top scorer in 04 U20 WJC for Canada.
29. Ryan Hollweg - Had allot of injury problems. Tough and skilled.
30. Nathan Guenin - Get allot of praise from Renney. A steal in the 4th round 02´.
31. Billy Ryan - 3rd round 04´.
32. Ryan Callahan - 3rd round 04´.
33. Juris Stals - Latvian who has stared in the Q. Great camp last year.
34. Chris Holt - Top 5 young US goalie.
35. Joey Crabb - 4th rounder 03´.
36. Corey Potter - 4th rounder 03´.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the rangers have depth but it is mostly depth among role players (ie future 3rd/4th line forwards and 2nd/3rd pair dmen)...they are still thin when it comes to top end elite prospects

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
markov` said:
Depth maybe, but they still then top-end talent. Only Montoya and Tyutin have the potential to become superstar.

I would say Montoya and Lundqvist are the onlyone with superstar potential. I see Tyutin as a defensemen in the Mattias Ohlund mold. Jessiman, Prucha and Korpikoski has firstline potential as wingers. Balej´s sniper instincts are great and he is a bit of a show-off(sp?) but I wouldn´t be suprised if he scored 25-30 goals in the NHL within a year or two. However I was talking about their amazing depth from there on. Not the top 10 where there are a obvious lack of a firstline center and franchise defensemen...

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I'd say Pittsburgh has the Rangers outmatched. Maybe some other Pen's fan feels like making a list. I'd try but I'm not sure where some of the Pen's 04 draft picks belong.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Ola said:
I was putting together a list with the top NYR prospects and I wonder if there ever have been a team in this league with as much prospect depth as the NYR 04´?

I am not talking about their top 10 but from there they have prospects from the 10th spot all the way to 34 who all have a solid shoot of making it to the NHL. Some of them with allot of upside too. 7 of them have been 2nd round pics in the 04´ or 03´ draft. From the 10th spot and on they have guys like Jarkko Immonen, David Olver, Zednik Bahensky and Nigel Dawes who all have great upside and further proves that the NYR have a knock for late round steals...(For ex. Zidlicky in 02´)

Here is my list:
5. Prucha - Draw allot of attention in last WC. MVP in 2/4 international tournaments.
6. Balej - As nifty as they come. One of the better snipers in the AHL. Great upside.
12. Dwieght Helminen - Best defensive forward in college. Best center in U18-WJC.
19. Bruce Graham - 55th overall 04. Sens would have taken him if not for Mezaros.
26. Marcus Jonasen - 3rd round pick in 03´. 6´5 winger, captain for Tri-City WHL.
27. Jan Marek - Top notch skills. Top scorer in Chechz top league. Finesse player.
30. Nathan Guenin - Get allot of praise from Renney. A steal in the 4th round 02´.

The Rangers prospect depth and quality has been matched and beaten by Washington and Chicago.

Caps- Aulin, Fehr, Eminger, Morrisonn, Semin, Ouellet, Stana, Gordon, Ovechkin, Green, Shultz, Lepisto, Yonkman, Klepis, Fleischmann, Johansson, Hedman, Daigenault. Laich, Werner, Fussey, Cutta, and Bourque.

All of these guys have top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman potential. The goalies are very highly rated.

You could argue that Washington has better skill/talent and depth at every position.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
EroCaps said:
The Rangers prospect depth and quality has been matched and beaten by Washington and Chicago.

Caps- Aulin, Fehr, Eminger, Morrisonn, Semin, Ouellet, Stana, Gordon, Ovechkin, Green, Shultz, Lepisto, Yonkman, Klepis, Fleischmann, Johansson, Hedman, Daigenault. Laich, Werner, Fussey, Cutta, and Bourque.

All of these guys have top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman potential. The goalies are very highly rated.

You could argue that Washington has better skill/talent and depth at every position.
Borque has top 6 potential? Ohh I missed where you said in the ECHL, sorry.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
1. Marc-Andre Fleury
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Ryan Whitney
4. Noah Welch
5. Sergei Anshakov
6. Maxime Talbot
7. Ben Eaves
8. Andy Chiodo
9. Johannes Salmonsson
10. Ondrej Nemec
11. Patrick Bartschi
12. Matt Murley
13. Colby Armstrong
14. Michal Sivek
15. Paul Bissonnette
16. Shane Endicott
17. Ryan Stone
18. Ryan Lannon
19. Michel Oullet
20. Alex Goligoski

These are basically the Penguins' top 20 prospects. Whether or not it's better than the Rangers' list is debatable.

Rangers have great depth, but to ask if they have the best that the nhl has ever seen is ludicrous. The Penguins, Capitals, and Blackhawks have similar if not better depth.

BDubinskyNYR17*

Ola said:

Here is my list:

Is it me, or am I the only one that thinks Dubinsky will be a solid steal?? Why is he left off??? He scored more points than Andrew Ladd who was taken in the first round, but Im not comparing the 2. Dubinsky's only problem is that he is small. In articles about Dubinsky, I keep reading that he is one of the most skilled players in the WHL, now if that is the case, and we did take him in the 2ed round, why is he being left off alot? Heck I think he is going to be a better player than Hollweg, Stals, Crabb,

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Moskau said:
Borque has top 6 potential? Ohh I missed where you said in the ECHL, sorry.

It's far less of a stretch than the lower half of Ola's list. Bourque was the 33rd overall pick- taken before Fransson, Graham, Sindel, Lisin, etc. Maybe you know something a team of professional scouts does not?

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
These are basically the Penguins' top 20 prospects. Whether or not it's better than the Rangers' list is debatable.

Rangers have great depth, but to ask if they have the best that the nhl has ever seen is ludicrous. The Penguins, Capitals, and Blackhawks have similar if not better depth.
Not only do I think that both Pittsburgh and Washington outmatch the Rangers depth wise, the top end talent of both squads (MAF/Malkin/Whitney....AO/Fehr/Ouellet) far outmatch the Rangers. I think the Rangers fall into a 3rd or 4th depending on how you rate Chicago....that can go either way..

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems to me like alot of people playing up their own team's prospects. Any team can have amazing depth when it comes to depth and role players. Who do you think the bulk of the draft ends up being. I would render a guess that nearly every team in the league is pretty much on par for depth of role players. Seems like a pretty mute point. Alot of homerism going on by the comments about some of these players. Now when you can talk about top end talent depth, then you have something to talk about.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
craig1 said:
Not only do I think that both Pittsburgh and Washington outmatch the Rangers depth wise, the top end talent of both squads (MAF/Malkin/Whitney....AO/Fehr/Ouellet) far outmatch the Rangers. I think the Rangers fall into a 3rd or 4th depending on how you rate Chicago....that can go either way..

considering the rangers have been bottom 5 in the past, i'll be VERY happy with 3rd & 4th...their system definitely isn't the best but it might be the best it has ever been (for the rangers)

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Honestly, we do have good depth.. If you're talking about future AHL'ers. I feel like we only have 15 prospects who have a legitimate chance of becoming a full-time NHLer. We have alot of guys who could easily be busts, and not that many sure things. We have very little top-end talent, and alot of top-end talent is needed if we want to become a great team. I think that our prospect list is overrated by Rangers fans, we have to start being realistic. I think that our prospect list should be ranked about 15th in the NHL.

db23

I'm not a fan of any of the teams, but I would say Chicago and L.A. have the best quality/quantity of prospects. A lot of the Rangers properties are either very risky or outright junk. Sather just grabbed anyone he could lay his hands on with the hope of finding a few pearls among the oysters.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Overall, the Caps, Pens, and Hawks all have a better system than the Rangers.

I'm bored, so I'll do a top 40 for the Pens (not really in order after so long, i'm not THAT bored):

1. Fleury-Battling with Lehtonen for top goalie prospect
2. Malkin-Philly scouts said they would have picked him 1st Overall '04
3. Whitney-Made a seamless pro transition, best defender for WBS in Calder Cup run
4. Welch-Solid defenseman without many flaws, top pairing potential
5. Anshakov-Most potential among forwards outside of Malkin
6. Salomonsson-Speedy scorer was a first rounder barring injuries
7. Talbot-QMJHL star, will be a top grinder in the NHL who can put up 40 pts
8. Eaves-Small in stature, big in heart and skill, top 2 line potential
9. Chiodo-Lead his AHL team to the Calder Cup finals, good in short NHL stint
10. Armstrong-Will give it all for his team to win, size will come
11. Nemec-Solid defenseman with offensive flair, looked good in AHL
12. Bartschi-Lead '03 WJC in scoring while playing for Switzerland
13. Moulson-Big dynamic scorer in college, reminds me of Ryan Malone
14. Sivek-Injuries allowed him to drop about 10 spots from a year ago
15. Goepfert-Starting goalie for '03 US WJC finals team
16. Ouellet-Soft hands and good size, needs to work on consistency
17. Murley-Last chance to make impact on team, getting old for a prospect
18. Bissonette-Almost made NHL as an 18 year old
19. Stone-Another great checking forward
20. Carcilio-Agitator in the mold of a Domi, put up good numbers in the WHL
21. Endicott-Big frame, solid defensive work
22. Fernholm-Big defender has struggles with his knees, top 4 talent
23. Dixon-Extremely smart player, size may be an issue, no other weakness
24. Goligoski-Pens scouts obviously see something in him, smooth skating rearguard
25. Ihnacak-Scored at almost a point per game as a freshman
26. Christensen-All the tools, no consistency
27. Filewich-Gritty WHL forward with good scoring abilities
28. Johnson-Top AJHL player
29. Scuderi-Older, but has Olczyk/Patrick's word that he'll be on the team next season
30. Sersen-Solid import defender who dropped to the 5th round
31. Malenkykh-Doubtful he'll ever make the jump, but could play in the NHL now
32. Duba-Good goalie prospect stuck behind superb depth, could come to NA this year
33. Lupaschak-Make or break this year for him, scratched during AHL playoffs
34. Isakov-Played in the RSL as an 18 year old due to his maturity
35. Koci-Tough defender who could make the Pens this season for his fighting ability
36. Gifford-3rd rounder '04
37. Kennedy-Young skilled OHL center who I feel will prove to be a good NHL talent
38. Brown-Good stats in college, again depth ahead of him is an issue with this tender
39. Lannon-Solid career playing with Welch at Harvard, depth defender at best
40. Schneider-Another solid player who could give depth

Again, this isn't an exact ranking, I'm just putting guys about where they should be. I'm sure i'm forgetting somebody, but that happens. I personally like this squad better than the NYR squad;). But lets wait a good 5 years to give judgement.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
EroCaps said:
It's far less of a stretch than the lower half of Ola's list. Bourque was the 33rd overall pick- taken before Fransson, Graham, Sindel, Lisin, etc. Maybe you know something a team of professional scouts does not?

What they knew is that they had enough picks in the previous round to go for a homerun pick. The skill is there but the size is not. He better put his butt into gear before ya wanna throw out names like St Louis or Fleury.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
tommi462 said:
And that's bull and you know it.

Who is better? Top Finnish goaltender in Europe last year was Fredrik Norrena and both you and I know that since Norrena and Lundqvist has played on the same team for two years and both thoose two years it was Lundqvist who played in the PO´s. And he was 20 and 21 y/o at that time. Lundqvist play forced Norrena to change team. Thats a fact I like to see you get around.... Lundqvist really doesn´t have any competition in Europe rigth now and thats a common fact.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
EroCaps said:

The caps haven´t done nearly as good job as the Rangers when it comes to lateround steals and picking up prospect in trades. I wouldn´t have started the topic in the first place if that wasn´t the case. And don´t forget that I was talking about from the 10th spot and on, neither the caps or pens comes close.

I agree that the 5-6 last players on my list are a bit of a stretch/unproven but from the 10th spot to the 30th spot all are very good prospects and some of them with allot of upside. We are not talking about unknowrussians with all the questionsmarks in the world, guys like Nigel Dawes, Jarkko Immonen(ask any leaf fan), Thomas Pöck, Bruce Graham(ISS loves him), D. Helminnen and Labarbarera who would have been a top goalie prospect on allot of teams but ranks 4th on the rangers.

Caps fans will bring up players like Jonas Johansson, Johnny Oduya and S. Lepistö. I´ve seen these guys play ALLOT and they are not NHL material IMO. The first two are comparable with a guy like Lee Falardeu, 33rd overall in 02´ who I left of the NYR list. He doesn´t have the tools. Lepistö has the instincts of a Norris trophy winner but he doesn´t have much in terms of tools. Sorry.

Pens have some really good young players, and could have matched the Rangers if they didn´t have so many already "graduated" players, like Koltsov, Caron, Surovy, Malone and Orpik.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Rangers sure do have A LOT of possibilities coming out of their prospect ranks.

After this past draft however, I'd personally like to have Chicago's system, but I think if you compare ALL the systems in hockey as they are now again in 2010, the Capitals will have had the most impact NHLers coming out of their ranks.

Just a humble opinion....

Last edited:

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Ola said:
The caps haven´t done nearly as good job as the Rangers when it comes to lateround steals and picking up prospect in trades. I wouldn´t have started the topic in the first place if that wasn´t the case. And don´t forget that I was talking about from the 10th spot and on, neither the caps or pens comes close.

I agree that the 5-6 last players on my list are a bit of a stretch/unproven but from the 10th spot to the 30th spot all are very good prospects and some of them with allot of upside. We are not talking about unknowrussians with all the questionsmarks in the world, guys like Nigel Dawes, Jarkko Immonen(ask any leaf fan), Thomas Pöck, Bruce Graham(ISS loves him), D. Helminnen and Labarbarera who would have been a top goalie prospect on allot of teams but ranks 4th on the rangers.

Caps fans will bring up players like Jonas Johansson, Johnny Oduya and S. Lepistö. I´ve seen these guys play ALLOT and they are not NHL material IMO. The first two are comparable with a guy like Lee Falardeu, 33rd overall in 02´ who I left of the NYR list. He doesn´t have the tools. Lepistö has the instincts of a Norris trophy winner but he doesn´t have much in terms of tools. Sorry.

Pens have some really good young players, and could have matched the Rangers if they didn´t have so many already "graduated" players, like Koltsov, Caron, Surovy, Malone and Orpik.

The Habs, Pens, and Caps top 10 easily out classes the Rangers top 10 and thats where it really counts...just going by draft trends, you'll be lucky to see 10% of those guys make into the nhl or have any impact...you're boasting that the Rangers have the best prospect depth EVER is completely opposite of what HF thinks they should be ranked (29th), I would trust the opinions/reports by the staff here at HF instead of an over zealous fan

There is a difference between depth and talent, if I was the owner of the Rangers' minor league affiliates then I'd be pretty happy out the the future of my team...when its all said and done, you have a lot of players that will make it to the AHL but fail to make an contribution at the NHL level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad