Have headshots declined sharply or am I crazy?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
With the NHL taking the hard-line on headshots over the past few years, are we finally seeing the fruit of that labor?

I for one haven't noticed very many blatant headshots at all this year and much, much less suspensions league wide.

Does anyone have any stats to affirm this?

LaCarriere

I think they are down for sure, especially when you go back to say the 80s or 90s.

I think it's hard to prove with stats, because the goalpost on what is suspendable has changed so much, especially over decades.

Go back and watch a Scott Stevens highlight reel, and tell me how most of those aren't 10+ games today. Those hits were the norm back then. Jumping / leaving the feet. Shoulder to head.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I think they are down for sure, especially when you go back to say the 80s or 90s.

I think it's hard to prove with stats, because the goalpost on what is suspendable has changed so much, especially over decades.

Go back and watch a Scott Stevens highlight reel, and tell me how most of those aren't 10+ games today. Those hits were the norm back then. Jumping / leaving the feet. Shoulder to head.

No kidding. Half the players in the “Off the floor/On the board” game would’ve gotten suspended for hits in that game.

Tell me that this isn’t a 25 game suspension today.

It did give us a great YouTube tribute, though.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
No kidding. Half the players in the “Off the floor/On the board†game would’ve gotten suspended for hits in that game.

Kind of funny to watch that video. People complain about the rules limiting the number of hits or whatever but for nearly 20 seconds both the Devils and the Ducks shy away from laying any hits until Stevens KOs Kariya.

ToewsForDays

Feb 8, 2015
I agree. I don't remember seeing anyone getting suspended this year for a headshot (might be wrong). Mostly just hit from behinds and cheap shots this year.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
They seem to be way down, which also flies in the face of the "the game happens too fast to be able to pull up" argument.

We've seen the same thing in the NFL, where everyone has adapted to the headshot crackdowns with the exception of a handful of idiots (James Harrison, DeAngelo Hall, Brandon Meriweather).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They seem to be way down, which also flies in the face of the "the game happens too fast to be able to pull up" argument.

We've seen the same thing in the NFL, where everyone has adapted to the headshot crackdowns with the exception of a handful of idiots (James Harrison, DeAngelo Hall, Brandon Meriweather).

I think that's a very good comparison in both adaptation and fan reaction, especially in regards to defenders adapting to new PI and 'vulnerable receiver' stuff. Vocal sector of fans hate it, but most players have adapted

Nynja*

[y-t]kiDJ1y7cGIw[/MEDIA]

Since you asked, its interference, but Kariya is puck watching. As for the hit itself, its tough to say with one angle, but it doesnt look like its a headshot, he doesnt jump, he only takes two strides then lines up for the hit (not charging), and its not blindside either.

Two regular season games at most?

If you want a potential 25 gamer:

shoulder/elbow straight to the kisser

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For some reason I thought this was going to be about how player team pics were going downhill. I think it's time for bed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->