Have fans lost their love for hockey?

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by HABitual, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. HABitual

HABitual Registered User

Home Page:
    Link

This is an interesting question. How do you know you're watching the game because you actually love it or just out of habit?

2. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

the NHL ripped a part of me away 9 years ago yet i still watch all levels of hockey.

hockey's a part of my psyche, i still get a kick playing once a week and coaching my son's team.

if i had to explain what hockey means, the reader would never understand.

3. I'll never lose my love for hockey, its my #1 thought all the time, I'm constantly thinking about hockey.

However, I have lost all respect and love for the NHL players, never again will I cheer for any of them.

4. Reilly311

Reilly311 Guest

awwww, how cute.

5. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

thanks, glad that my emotions about the greatest game on earth reached you deep in your soul.

6. David

David Registered User

Home Page:
    My sentiments....

7. Haj

Haj #CatsAreComing

I still love hockey, but I have a new hatred for the selfish people on both sides who are preventing a deal from being reached.

8. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    The PA have allowed themselves to be brainwashed by Knob Goodenow...For a bunch of guys who think they are informed and intelligent, you would think it couldn't have happened, but it did... Goodenow was seen as the saviour, but now that he has cost them over a billion dollars this year...well I have a feeling he may be getting the pink slip, and that he may meet GB at the unemployment office.

9. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

yeah a guy who raised their salaries from $ 300K to $ 1.8 million in 12 years deserves to get the boot.

10. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    How much has he made them this year???? He failed them this year not recognizing the situation of the owners resolve and that there will be cost certainty of some form...the king of inmates cannot continue to run the asylum...

11. Higgins_and_Main

Higgins_and_Main Registered User

Ken Dryden does not know what he is talking about. He feels that way because he was probably born with the most talent ever for an NHL goalie, but his heart was never in the game. That's why he took 2 years off in his prime to goto law school...

Dryden neglects to mention that there is other hockey out there. What about the World Juniors, CHL, and minor leagues? All have seen big increases in attendance this year. Dryden does not realize that the NHL, while being the best hockey league in the world, is not the only league for hockey...

12. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

hmm, perhaps it would be better if he was like gary bettman who is bragging about how much he has lost the owners ?

why blame goodenow for doing an excellent job. there's a deal to be made with the nhl, except bettman has committed to save face for his follies by breaking the union.

it won't happen, and bettman is a lame duck. the nhl will return, with a form of cost-certainty, but the drop in future revenues will be clearly at bettman's feet.

13. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    Gary and Bob are in this together and they both deserve their fate, I am a fan of neither, hence the line that they should meet in the unemployment line...

14. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

if you needed a lawyer, who would you hire ? bettman or goodenow.

15. Higgins_and_Main

I think that is a possibility. I even would be willing to go as far as to say that if the players were to take a vote on the NHL offer, 2/3 or more would accept it. The vocal minority, mainly 30 somethings with nothing to lose are the ones who think that they represent the NHLPA. Goodenaw may have raised salary levels by 600% during his tenure, but the players will soon realize that it will be better to play for $1.3 million than to lose your job outright (a fact that Goodenaw has yet to grasp).

16. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    tough choice...kinda like that movie dumb and dumber...

17. Higgins_and_Main

I would hire Blackthorne...

18. Luigi Lemieux

Luigi Lemieux Registered User

i still love hockey, but i definitely like football more than i ever have.

19. hipcheck85

hipcheck85 Where is Triggrman?

Home Page:

You had me at KNOB..... :)

20. AG9NK35DT8*

AG9NK35DT8* Guest

I think Im going to CRY. Why what can i say im just overwhelmed with emotion. :shakehead :shakehead

21. se7en*

se7en* Guest

I've lost my passion for the NHL, but not for hockey.

Shouldn't it moreso apply to the players? Their dream is to make millions of dollars, not to win the Cup.

Well, ok making millions is my dream :) , but I don't play in the NHL, which was a bigger dream.

22. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    if you've played hockey - you know why people - love it - i do -

23. AG9NK35DT8*

AG9NK35DT8* Guest

Hockey is and always will be my #1 sport , no questions about that. But right now I dont miss it. Ive got a life and hockey doesnt run it, I mean I love the sport but for now I dont miss it really at all , maybe a little but not enough to be emotionalllly moved like others. The one thing is when hockey does come back on I will be back to watching it fulltime, thats not only NYR games but any other game as well. Dont get me wrong I wont turn down some O.T to watch it as I use to do ( but i have bills), thats what they have walkmans and radios for. And if I miss a NYR game I neither watch it at midnight re-run or the next day on MSG at 4pm.

I read some of these posts and I think people need to find other things to do, they seem lost with out and that is quit sad. For me hockey is strictly a hobby it brings enjoyment to me and I love watching it as well as I play not ice but roller. So I wouldnt say I watch hockey out of habit its more of a love for the game and like I said b4 a hobby for me but it dont run my life. If there was never hockey again well I will tell you one thing i would with out a doubt move on, I'd be sad there is no hockey but I WOULD get over. Hopefully that never happens cause I hate basketball with a passion then Baseball ,football is ok just all them sports seem to be to slow, then I get bored and lose consentration very quickly.

And if I could hire a lawyer I would hire Johnny Cochran. :dunno: Maybe He must be good he got O.J off or maybe having money helps to I guess.

Last edited by moderator : Feb 7, 2005
  24. Magnus Fulgur

Magnus Fulgur Registered User

I love hockey...but the NHL can go take a leap...

25. mvp76

mvp76 Registered User

Listening to you...
    I'll still keep watching,but if the season starts up I won't be going to any games(including playoffs)this year because my money has gone elsewhere.

Shame on all you greedy monkeys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.