Have any nation ever dominated a sport like Canada have dominated hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
FWIW;
So many Canadian haters on HF its funny, especially around Olympic and WJC times... Its odd tho, when your favorite American team lift the Cup with 90% of Canadian player, I don't see any of you foreigner being mad about it because be honest, its Canadian player who bring those Stanley Cup in your country. (Sole exception lately are the Wings with Swedes and a Russian).

Yawn. People don't care if it's Canadians, Russians, Icelanders or Mongolians in their NHL teams, they care about the team. For every Canada hater as you put it there are 2 obnoxious Canada homers.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Canadas best players played in the NHL.

its like last years WC: Canada played bad, lost early. you say the best players were in the playoffs so that doesn`t count but you don`t dominate something just because you COULD dominate it

The Austrian FIS Alpine Ski team has won the last 20 overall Nations Cups (overall total World Cup points of all skiiers) including the men's Nations Cup from 1993 onwards and the women's Nations Cup from 1999 onwards. They have finished in the combined top 3 for every year of its existence (1967 onwards), and the men's team has finished 1st or 2nd every year but two. Their individual skiiers have 200 more wins than the next closest county (Switzerland) and over double any other country (they have more wins in downhill than any non-Swiss country has in all events).

:banana:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Yawn. People don't care if it's Canadians, Russians, Icelanders or Mongolians in their NHL teams, they care about the team. For every Canada hater as you put it there are 2 obnoxious Canada homers.

Well. I agree but we took lessons and learned well from the most obnoxious "we are the best" "if not for us" "we saved the world" blah, blah blah, kind folks in a country just south of us.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
its like last years WC: Canada played bad, lost early. you say the best players were in the playoffs so that doesn`t count but you don`t dominate something just because you COULD dominate it

:banana:

I understand it is a big deal in Europe, but most in North America do not care about the World Championships. Kind of like soccer in the Olympics.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Lame excuse to cover up the fact that the USSR was once the best team in the world for several several years.

What are you talking about? Canada was not allowed to send pros to the Olympics. If they had been able to, then the USSR would not have been nearly as successful as they appeared to be.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Like a lot of people have mentioned on here already, my vote also goes to USA's dominance in Basketball. It is not a niche sport played by only a few countries, most everyone plays the game. Yet if the US sent their top players and not just a second tier team of NBA representatives, it would be a wipeout. And probably for generations to come...

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
fxusfl.jpg

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
They have since 1994
american nba stars are usually reserved for the olympics... not the world championships... not that different from hockey actually, where marginal nhl players or dominant euro league players typically play in those tournaments...

another example of dominance in an international sport... south korea and archery... more of a modern phenomenon though... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery_at_the_Summer_Olympics)

imo, as mentioned before, the best example is usa and basketball... bball is more international than hockey... also, there is no concept of a big 6/7 like hockey (where in a given tournament, 6/7 countries have a legit chance at winning)... in basketball, for all intents and purposes, it's the usa and then everybody else... more so now after usa basketball became much better organized... canada and hockey was like this way back in the day... in the future, let's see if something similar happens with the usa and basketball...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Listen folks. If the Americans took any sport serious they would dominate.

It's a numbers game more than anything else.

The one thing that pisses me off more than anything is people saying Canadian heart....come on every nation has as much "heart" and will to win as Canada.

In fact, I'd say when it comes to patriotism and wanting to win for your country, Americans are number 1 there.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What are you talking about? Canada was not allowed to send pros to the Olympics. If they had been able to, then the USSR would not have been nearly as successful as they appeared to be.

Not to mention they took over half of europe made the best players part of the USSR team sent the next best to the salt mines and left the rest to play for the communist countries. Sort of like the U S taking over Canada and then saying look at our team now...:laugh::laugh:

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Of course, there is a zillion "sports" that is only played in one or just a few countries.

Maybe if you would narrow it down to "Olympics sports" we get more close to a valid argument.
I know we(norwegians) are very dominating when it comes to throwing milk buckets, so I think we are way more dominant than you are in hockey.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
USA and Canada in Lacrosse.US just won the World Championship.Canadas pretty studly at Lax too.
USA at field and Canada at box. Awesome sport for those of you that may not get to see it often.

Here's a question for all the European guys on the forum. Exactly how much interest is there in Lacrosse overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad