Creating scoring chances
Finishing chances
Making simple plays
Kyle Okposo
Jake McCabe
Tage Thompson
Remi Elie’s 1st game energy disappeared fast
Sam Reinhart did basically nothing all night
Zemgus Girgensons plays hockey like he’s just trying to end the game and go home

U:
Rasmus Ristolainen’s hockey IQ
Marco Scandella

We played better than Vegas, but no one would confuse it with good. I’d like a message conveyed to this team. It isn’t about winning and losing anymore for me. It’s about playing NHL level hockey. You don’t do that.

When’s the last time someone broke into the zone with space to shot? When’s the last time we passed their way into a neat zone entry? When’s the last time the board cycle generated a goal, or the opposition goalie being forced to Rob them?

These events happen multiple times a game for average teams. For the sabs, it’s a rare event.

Last edited:

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
G

Hutton - Made the saves he should have, but yes, hung out to dry way too much.
Dahlin
Bogo - quietly effective.
Jack early on being assertive.
Sheary
Skinner (although he needs to start finishing).
Girgs might be back?

B
TL,DR

U
Housley. I thought the Avs game was his worst. Then last night throwing Ok out on PP1 after his early gaffes. Uuugh.

#FirePhil

Last edited:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I can't put in the good part, he has to dominate to be consider good. Not decent.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
G:
Eichel
Dahlin - got caught gambling, but can you blame him for trying?
Bogo
Hutton
Beaulieu
PEG line had consistent, yet ineffective, pressure
Skinner and Sheary were ok, not bad...

B:
Ris-D'oh
McCabe despite the goal
So many more meh's

U:
Housley
Scandella
Okposo - If this is meritocracy, KO is bumped down to Moulson's line. Outside of one charge to the net late in the 3rd, this was his worst game in the blue & gold.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Went to Schnitzel and Co. to play trivia with friends, came in 2nd place, and didn't watch the game.

B
Apparently a lot.

U
Housley masquerading as a head coach in the NHL reminds me of Vincent Adultman from BoJack Horseman pretending to be a successful entrepreneur.

Deleted member 27798

G:

Choosing to watch the baseball game and a Chicago PD marathon.

B:

During commercials of said programming above, flipping over to the hockey game.

U:

Being a fan of this team.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
(I stopped watching 5 mins into P3)

G:

- Eichel was dangerous and created several high danger scoring chances
- Bogo and Beaulieu
- Hutton
- Dahlin made some nice plays
- Powerplay zone entries were much better
- Skinner
- We were generating some good pressure in the first two periods
- I'm not going to watch a Sabres game until Okposo is off pp1, so I'll get a nice break from this shitshow

B:

- Reinhart was very quiet
- This team can't consistently perform clean breakouts, something that every NHL team besides the basement teams can do
- No one outside of Eichel created anything close to a scoring chance besides Skinner (on one play)
- Jack did have some o-zone turnovers that led to scoring chances against

U:

- Powerplay 1 for their last 21
- Our defense cannot clear out the front of the net to save their lives
- Our defense cannot breakout and transition to save their lives
- Scandella has been absolutely brutal
- Beaulieu - Bogo is outplaying our top pair
- Risto is playing at a level of a #4/5, when we need him to be at least a #2
- Kyle Okposo in every facet of the game of hockey
- Kyle Okposo makes ~$6 million more a year than I do
- The Buffalo Sabres still owe Kyle Okposo $30 million
- Kyle Okposo is playing on the top powerplay
- Kyle Okposo is playing in the top 9
- Kyle Okposo
- This team is so depressing that its ruining hockey for me, and I absolutely love hockey

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Surprised to see Dahlin in the good.

The first 15 mins of the second period were fine. It was bookended by two awful periods

Our passing is concerning. We can’t receive them, we can’t execute them (largely because we continue to bypass the easier pass to try the homer)...and again - there is so much sauce on these passes when it’s not called for, some guys need a mesh net in an offset head to properly catch them. It’s so annoying

Reactions: joshjull

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Mitts was really good, has been the last couple of games. Frustration seems to make him play better, he was terrific in the 3rd and looked like the only Sabre still trying to win.

Jack seems way better at face offs and created a lot of chances.

That's all I got for positives last night. I do feel that this lineup has enough weapons that it could be better with some new chemistry. Phil always seems pertrified to make more than one or two little tweaks, while in actuality I would like to see 4 new lines and 3 new pairings. Phil just inspires such little confidence though, my god was that spineless last night to put Okposo right back out on PP1 last night. Kyle and Risto are the biggest problems on the team player-wise IMO.

Deleted member 27798

Very Ugly:

Jack has a whopping TWO even strength points in 7 games. There is either a problem with the player, teammates, coaches, system, or all the above. No matter who you slice it...it's unacceptable.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G:
- Mitts has been coming along the last few games. He's been real close to scoring (big clank off the pipe in the 2nd), and I've liked his hustle playing without the puck
- Eichel was dangerous all night
- Dahlin

B:
- This team

U:
- 75 games to go

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Ugly: Almost all of Tim Murray’s decisions during his tenure and Botterill not forcing changes on the roster to make us better. Also saw the rumor that Murray turned down Ristolainen for Hall. Housley hasn’t made anyone more confident in his abilities thus far or shown he’s developed over the long summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
ESGF%: 27th of 31

PP%: 24th of 31

PK%: 28th of 31

ThisIsFine.gif

Fixed the locker room culture, though. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
I can’t get over that the management team half this board spent a summer defending was gullible enough to trade for and play Vlad Sobotka in key defensive minutes.

I have pined for regime change #3 since about game 10 of last season, and even *I* thought that was beneath them.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I can’t get over that the management team half this board spent a summer defending was gullible enough to trade for and play Vlad Sobotka in key defensive minutes.

I have pined for regime change #3 since about game 10 of last season, and even *I* thought that was beneath them.
If this continues, the way people were talking to you and in general the side you represent this summer, it must be embarrassing now to have had some of those uncalled-for takes, really. Like there were plenty of people who disagreed respectfully and were fine, but there were so many posters who were quite nasty about it. My bookmarks would be so full and I would be about ready to use them right now haha and yet you still gracefully describe them as merely "defending"

Reactions: sabrebuild

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Surprised to see Dahlin in the good.

The first 15 mins of the second period were fine. It was bookended by two awful periods

Our passing is concerning. We can’t receive them, we can’t execute them (largely because we continue to bypass the easier pass to try the homer)...and again - there is so much sauce on these passes when it’s not called for, some guys need a mesh net in an offset head to properly catch them. It’s so annoying

It's crazy to me that the passing has been such a glaring weak spot for at least 3-4 years straight at this point despite the amount of player/coach turnover that's gone on. Like, Dahlin making a crisp, accurate pass from a couple feet inside his blue line to hit someone who's skating through center ice in stride is a fairly routine play for most other teams. For us, that's practically a highlight.

I've never played hockey at all, but I'm confused as to how we continually collect players who struggle with such basic on-ice actions.

Reactions: paulmm3 and jBuds

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Fixed the locker room culture, though. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
Yep, I loved the quotes*tonight.
Jack Eichel "Man, every time I went over the boards I was reminded just how much I love this game."
Kyle Okposo "Can you believe we get paid to do this? Incredible!"
Rasmus Ristolainen "Every second. Is like a dream come true."
Zemgus Girgensons "This year just feels different, you know?"
Rasmus Dahlin "This year just feels different, you know?"
*of course not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad