Post-Game Talk: hats vs nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If we sweep them and Jets/Vegas goes the distance do we lose all momentum and get pancaked?

giphy.gif

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If the Caps can win the next one without Backstrom, keep him out unless things go very pear shaped, or the SCF has begun. He's a key player for us, but rushing him back wouldn't gain us much as things stand, compared to the inherent risks.

If Bura can get some production going, consider keeping him (given his speed and offensive potential). DSP and Chaisson have both been regulars on the PK this postseason (notably letting Eller or Wilson miss a PK shift, so they're fresher for ES), and you ideally don't want Nick or Oshie on the PK if you can help it because of the risk of injury (hi, Nick).

8-92-43
13-20-77
18-19-10/65
25-83-39/10

That's a good lineup in my eyes.

One more win and we've three opportunities to eliminate the bolts. Get it done.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was interesting to see the game 2 money line shift heavy towards Florida, even more than game 1. One would think seeing a strong win in game 1 would lead to more of an even ML for G2, but nope the books strongly expected a FL win.

In summary, if a team beats another handily, it is to be ignored as it is much more difficult to win 2 in a row. Yet we dominated even more, and Vegas was wrong. Again. Don't they know we are road warriors?

Over and out!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We are converting 2 on 1s far more than I can ever remember. And, we are getting more than I can ever remember. A pet peeve is never passing with an odd man, and here we are passing it late around the sprawling D, leaving near empty net tap ins.

Late in the game Doc said "Right now the odd man rushes are 10-2 in favor of the Capitals." I thought, that is insane and no goalie or team can win when they give up that big of a discrepancy. The Caps are playing brilliant 5 on 5 team defense right now, its as cohesive a unit as any I've ever watched. When you play solid team defense, you force turnovers, and turnovers become odd man rushes. The Caps are forcing these odd man rush advantage by simply playing sound defense. This isn't just Tampa (or Pitt, or CBus) being sloppy or unlukcy. Its being forced on them by the Caps. That's why its happening consistently. If they keep it up (The Caps) then they will continue to win.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I figured a suspension would be in discussions, after the clean DSP hit on Palat.

XM was the only place I even heard mention of the Kucherov kick. They also wondered if Kempney might get a game for the crosscheck ala Morrissey on Staal, but figured nothing would come of it.

I just wonder if a Capital player, let's say, Tom Wilson, were to do that kick what the reaction would be.

Anyway I love Kucherov, one of my favorite players, but man when things don't go his way he gets a little petulant out there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One complaint: the PK didn't get it done. I'm sure it doesn't help that 19 is out, but that's the one concern I took away from G2.

Agreed with the consensus that Bura is the weak link right now, but I'm not in a rush to bench him yet. I'd stick with the current lineup through G3. They're just too dominant to play with things unless Backstrom can go.
My only comment on this is that the PK got it done late. Have to watch the game (only had radio last night) but it sounded like maybe they made some smart adjustments between the first and third that helped and could possibly carry over.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
XM was the only place I even heard mention of the Kucherov kick. They also wondered if Kempney might get a game for the crosscheck ala Morrissey on Staal, but figured nothing would come of it.

I just wonder if a Capital player, let's say, Tom Wilson, were to do that kick what the reaction would be.

Anyway I love Kucherov, one of my favorite players, but man when things don't go his way he gets a little petulant out there.

Tom Wilson would be behind bars suspended 4 games + for the cross check, slew or kicks we saw last night. Other players, nary a mention.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Or a more healthy Caps team ready to take on the rigors of the SC finals? Step on their throats, take the time to heal Backstrom/Burakovsky and whoever else is hurt. Come out flying in the Finals (if we get there). If you have a chance to end a series... take it, move on.

Pens and Bolts were both healthier than Caps towards the end and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Biggest thing is to keep going, get the next series started 3-4 days after this one ends. Any longer layoff and you're looking at potential snowmageddon 2.0 meltdown.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Pens and Bolts were both healthier than Caps towards the end and it didn't make a lick of difference.

Biggest thing is to keep going, get the next series started 3-4 days after this one ends. Any longer layoff and you're looking at potential snowmageddon 2.0 meltdown.

Huh? Brassard/Kessel/Malkin were obviously injured and playing through it because they were on the ropes. Had those three been healthy, I don't think the Caps would have made it out.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

This is a galaxy-brain take. Are you really saying the Capitals should intentionally prolong the series if the WCF ends up being a long series?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Huh? Brassard/Kessel/Malkin were obviously injured and playing through it because they were on the ropes. Had those three been healthy, I don't think the Caps would have made it out.

Caps had Burakovsky miss the series, Wilson miss half and Backstrom miss a game. Not play injured, miss completely. Oshie playing through injuries as well

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
This is a galaxy-brain take. Are you really saying the Capitals should intentionally prolong the series if the WCF ends up being a long series?

No kidding. That line of reasoning is insane.

It is better to be rested and waiting for an opponent than risk injury and letting the other team back in the series.

The Caps deal with long layoffs is another thing they'll have to conquer. It can get in line. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->