Post-Game Talk: hats vs nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I cant believe it, but I will.
What an effort again. After a load of crap in the first period too.
Ovi's game is inspiring and scary good. Kuzy and Wilson almost as good.

Lars Eller.... As others have said, what a step up in Nicky's absence. Just fulthy good all over the ice.
Seriously no one bad today really. Im even glad Kemp took that penalty cross check to the face because stuff them.

One thing: Stephensen might be starting to look a bit tired? Didnt have the best legs tonight. Getting Nicky back at some stage is still vitally important.
Really hold our D stay healthy too.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
And i know Trotz always subscribes to the “we’re prepared for a long series”

**** that. They are on the ropes. Come out flying Tuesday and bury these frauds.

Play for the sweep

Then you're looking at a rusty Caps losing momentum after a long layoff and getting destroyed by a Jets or Vegas team that goes the distance in their series and still has the adrenaline and legs going.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Then you're looking at a rusty Caps losing momentum after a long layoff and getting destroyed by a Jets or Vegas team that goes the distance in their series and still has the adrenaline and legs going.

I’m worried about this series. Not some imaginary concept that isn’t backed up by any stats.

Don’t give TB a shot to get this series close. Worry about the next round after

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They are in for a hard decision on who to sit for 19 now. I think Burakovsky has looked better as time has gone on, and he'll need time to get into playing shape, so dunno if you can sit him (and I doubt Trotz does). They just flat out can't sit Vrana, though I wouldn't put it past Trotz, as he's been one of our best at even strength, and both DSP and Chiasson have been very good for what they offer. Beagle's an obvious no go.

I think they might sit DSP? He doesn't PK to my knowledge and while he's had a few big goals, I don't see who else they can sit down and cover the bases Trotz wants to cover.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
The Lightning have quick forwards for sure (although they are in no way faster than Pitts group), but what's helping the Caps is that their d corp is filled with very mediocre skaters (even Herman isn't blazing fast). That's really amplifying the Caps forechecking and allowing us to control 5 on 5 play. Pitt used to give us all types of trouble with fleet footed dmen jumping into the play, Tampa, for as talented as they are can't hurt us in that way. The Jets can't either fwiw, although they present a different challenge as well should we make it that far.

Also, Vrana is playing like a future star in this postseason. He's not been in the same Galaxy in terms of his consistency so far in his career as Pastranak, but he's every bit as skilled/dynamic if not more so. His ascension has been insanely large for us because it lengthens the lineup and gives us another dynamic weapon.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Flyers fan here....it was great to see you exorcise the penguin demons and hopefully you finish the whole damn job.

The cup is right there for the taking, get through the lightning and you should be able to beat either WPG or Vegas especially with the way you’re playing now. It is ironic because the whole NHL feels that this is a weaker iteration of the Caps from the last few years....but this team could be the one that delivers it.

It would be great for Ovechkin’s career to have a Cup. Hope you guys take it all.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Also, Vrana is playing like a future star in this postseason. He's not been in the same Galaxy in terms of his consistency so far in his career as Pastranak, but he's every bit as skilled/dynamic if not more so. His ascension has been insanely large for us because it lengthens the lineup and gives us another dynamic weapon.

Yes, Vrana is playing great, you can see he just knows what to do and where to go on offense (compare to poor Bura, haha).

I think Eller is a very big help. He seems well matched to play with skilled wingers. Maybe like Zubrus 2.0 with a bit less size and a bit more skill. He can't (so far at least) carry a line offensively as a top-2 center, but he has enough skill and offensive iq to work effectively with skilled guys, keep possession and make reads.

It's a credit to Eller that so far guys like Bura and Vrana have probably looked the best with him, albeit in spurts.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Or a more healthy Caps team ready to take on the rigors of the SC finals? Step on their throats, take the time to heal Backstrom/Burakovsky and whoever else is hurt. Come out flying in the Finals (if we get there). If you have a chance to end a series... take it, move on.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Maaaaan, what a game.

Once again, I decided to check the final score, after the 4th goal, even if I was less nervous than in game 1, because I knew the game would finish in 60 and I was like 99% sure, that Tampa won't score 3 goals in the 3rd.

1st period: I just couldn't believe it, 2 bs calls, 2 goals, that could stop our momentum
but then 5 unanswered goals. wow. goals from everyone
4th line
2nd line
PP
1st line
3rd line

Wilson with a goal on his first shift :cool:
Ovi with a goal :cool:
Lars is a beast :cool:
Connolly. ahahahahahahahahaah:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: What snipe.

Now, playing in DC, we don't need to match up the lines. Cooper didn't want to play his 1st or 2nd line against Ovi, and they have 0 goals 5 on 5. Just roll the lines.

3 more extra days to recover for Nicky.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
note. after two home games Tampa has 2 3rd period garbage time goals while trailing 4-0 and two ppg's scored on power plays they clearly should never have had. They have got nothing.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
You can almost bet someone has a nagging injury even though we are winning and you can't tell. When backstrom is 100% he will come in and someone will sit so they can then heal. Who? We will find out but I don't think backstrom is going to be rushed back with everything going so well.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
What I'm impressed with most is the business-like approach. They don't get too high or too low and they don't get away from the game plan when things don't go their way.

Everyone told us that they would be emotionally drained after they won their "Stanley Cup" against the Pens. Everyone also told us that Tampa would steamroll them too.

What will the next narrative be?

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
note. after two home games Tampa has 2 3rd period garbage time goals while trailing 4-0 and two ppg's scored on power plays they clearly should never have had. They have got nothing.

I said the same thing last night.. they were literally gifted those two PP goals last night. I think in the end everyone will see that the Pens/Caps were still the real ECF like in years past.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They are in for a hard decision on who to sit for 19 now. I think Burakovsky has looked better as time has gone on, and he'll need time to get into playing shape, so dunno if you can sit him (and I doubt Trotz does). They just flat out can't sit Vrana, though I wouldn't put it past Trotz, as he's been one of our best at even strength, and both DSP and Chiasson have been very good for what they offer. Beagle's an obvious no go.

I think they might sit DSP? He doesn't PK to my knowledge and while he's had a few big goals, I don't see who else they can sit down and cover the bases Trotz wants to cover.
I expect it would be Burakovsky. They can't really afford to wait on players. He needs to justify his spot in the lineup to stay in and not just by improving but being more effective than others. Connolly scored. The fourth-line did its job and then some. Stephenson PKs, DSP does PK and is more trusted defensively. Burakovsky has probably been their least effective forward. He's probably the least likely forward as-is to make a spectacular individual play via winning a key battle. He presents more upside if he gets going but at least right now I'd guess he's the one to sit unless he quickly starts to show more substance all-around.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, nearly everything was great, but Bura is still the weak link. Bench him asap. It's probably a better than 50% chance he loses the puck on the boards or makes a risky, poor pass in other areas of the ice. He needs to score to justify being in the lineup. Everyone else is pulling his weight and then some. Can't play guys based on anything else right now.

I'm that guy this morning. But feed me crow, Bura. Lots of it.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah he is articulate, but body language and facial expressions, guy just looks like he doesn't know what to do, let's hope he doesn't figure it out.

I didn't pay much attention to the post-game interviews when they were on, but I did see Stammer and thought he sounded lost - like any given Caps player in previous post-seasons after the team fell behind in the series.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Flyers fan here....it was great to see you exorcise the penguin demons and hopefully you finish the whole damn job.

The cup is right there for the taking, get through the lightning and you should be able to beat either WPG or Vegas especially with the way you’re playing now. It is ironic because the whole NHL feels that this is a weaker iteration of the Caps from the last few years....but this team could be the one that delivers it.

It would be great for Ovechkin’s career to have a Cup. Hope you guys take it all.

Around the time the season began, I think you would be hard-pressed to find any serious fan or pundit who thought the Caps - on paper at least - improved from last season. And certainly posters here doubted the players' and the coaches' abilities to ice a group that would implement effective strategies. But the progression in team play and mental toughness has been evident, particularly in the past 2-3 months. The guys who have been here awhile and suffered playoff letdowns, as well as the rooks and relative newcomers, to a man talk about the team. There's a belief in one another, a desire to support one another, that may have been lacking in those previous iterations of the Caps. I think these guys "get it," and while that's not enough to achieve the ultimate result, unless you have a supremely talented group, it is a precondition.

Appreciate your wishes. It'll be a fun ride.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know coaches loathe to make changes after a win, but Bura is a candidate to be cycled in and out of the lineup. I mean I love the idea of trying to go straight at and through Hedman, but that is not him. He looks rusty and really, has for much of the year. Just when you think Chiasson is a scratch candidate, he goes ahead and does a floater pass tailor made for a kid to not miss it.

We are converting 2 on 1s far more than I can ever remember. And, we are getting more than I can ever remember. A pet peeve is never passing with an odd man, and here we are passing it late around the sprawling D, leaving near empty net tap ins.

Ovi has been bringing it all year. I haven't seen him this hungry in years. The rest are just hitching a ride. Willy is f***ing awesome, racking up ES points at a 67 point pace and leading our team in ESP/G (shout out to Stormy). Nick to contrast only has 3 ESP in 11 games. Orpik channeling his inner Sarge is +12 with no fanfare at all. OK 1 fan. Laugh all you want at +- but throwback guys aren't always fun to play against. I heard Tampa would be physical - I doubt they can out physical us, with Orpik Ovi and Willy actively hunting Florida.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
One complaint: the PK didn't get it done. I'm sure it doesn't help that 19 is out, but that's the one concern I took away from G2.

Agreed with the consensus that Bura is the weak link right now, but I'm not in a rush to bench him yet. I'd stick with the current lineup through G3. They're just too dominant to play with things unless Backstrom can go.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->