Hathaway spits on Gudbranson (suspended 3 games)

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
The justification attempts from some posters on this topic are ridiculous. Under no situation is it ever justified to spit on somebody. It's a disgusting and potentially dangerous action. Hathaway will be suspended and rightfully so.
I'm amazed at the compartmentalization abilities of people like you in this thread.

Much more potentially dangerous things in hockey than spitting: Flying pucks in all situations. Bad hits. Good hits. High sticking, intentional or accidental. Tripping, intentional or accidental. Sucker punching. Mutual punching. Tugging on helmet straps, apparently.

I don't like the spitting, but suggesting that it's grounds for suspension when it's not an established pattern of behavior for a player is just f***ing weird.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure if Ben Hutton had to choose between another 2 years of playing with Gudbranson or getting spit on or sucker punched he would take both.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
His face in the postgame was basically the size of a balloon, so yeah, I’m going to say it landed. Probably pretty hard too, to make a guy who scrums for a living want to spit in another man’s face.

I think you are referring to the scar on his face from his injury with the flames. He always looks like jacked up like that. Definitely not from the hit.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They showed it on the Ducks feed when they were speculating on why Hathaway was ejected but all the clips I've seen are from the Caps feed.

Edit: here is the clip from the Ducks feed

much better angle on the punch here at 54 seconds.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
I'm amazed at the compartmentalization abilities of people like you in this thread.

Much more potentially dangerous things in hockey than spitting: Flying pucks in all situations. Bad hits. Good hits. High sticking, intentional or accidental. Tripping, intentional or accidental. Sucker punching. Mutual punching. Tugging on helmet straps, apparently.

I don't like the spitting, but suggesting that it's grounds for suspension when it's not an established pattern of behavior for a player is just ****ing weird.
Dude there's a reason why NO ONE spits on people. It's disgusting. It 100% deserves a suspension. It has nothing to do with if it's an established pattern or not. You just don't do that.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
The never endings on my knuckles are like me on the inside.....completely dead.
l-35285-when-someone-tries-to-hurt-your-feelings-but-youve-been-dead-inside-for-years.jpg

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
All I'm seeing from you is justification for a disgusting act in a thread full of people mocking others for justifying Hathaway's disgusting act.

This is why I'm laughing at both sides. Silly biases and very little common sense.

What exactly do you expect to happen in that situation? Everything is winding down and Hathaway decides to get one more shot in and he got a response for it. You guys are acting like Gudbranson came skating in and threw a punch out of no where that Hathaway had no idea could be coming.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
You can be grossed out by something, but that doesn't mean it deserves a suspension if it's a one off incident. You people are weird.

"We're fans of hockey, the toughest sport in the world!"

"Ewwwww saliva that one time!"

Spitting in the face of an opposing player isn't an established pattern of behavior in the NHL? Why might that be?
Your question has absolutely no meaning when measured against the context of the thing you're replying to.

Edit: ... Reply system went wonky on me, I give up.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Apples and oranges.

People are simply amused and/or annoyed by how seriously people are taking spitting, an action that, in the days of modern medicine, is as benign an act of aggression as they come, while dismissing a sucker punch. It is absolutely stupid to believe that spit is more harmful than a sucker punch. This is a conclusion that can be reached without thinking that spitting on someone is okay.

The most asinine angle is being taken by people pretending that there should be supplemental discipline in the form of a suspension.

As far as dispute resolution and maturity levels go... there is legitimately nothing mature about how NHL players handle disagreements when it comes to brawling/fighting in the first place.

The outrage is manufactured on both sides and people pretending that they're situated on the moral high ground need to stop deluding themselves.
Go find the poll about this and see what kind of discipline I think he will/should get. It's not a suspension.

I don't mind people saying Gudbranson shouldn't have thrown a punch. But it's just amusing to see some people who have defended Wilson's right to blast his elbow into other players' heads for one reason for another are now clutching their pearls over a punch in the interest of diminishing the impressions of others for a player who responded to a punch by spitting.

Personally, I don't think we need to throw the book at him but he should understand that spitting on people is how toddlers and adults who never had parents deal with conflict. Like we shouldn't sew the scarlet letter on him for this but hopefully he understands how gross and frankly embarrassing that is.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
People keep saying spit in the face. He didn’t do that. He spit on him but it definitely wasn't in his face.

what does it matter? he spit on him period

even if he did not spit on his face how do you know he didn't try to do that but just has lousy aim.

throw a huge suspension at him to teach him and set a precedent so that others know it is absolutely unacceptable behaviour

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Dude there's a reason why NO ONE spits on people. It's disgusting. It 100% deserves a suspension. It has nothing to do with if it's an established pattern or not. You just don't do that.
If you are punched in the mouth you have to expel the saliva. So I mean that's the thing.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
throw a huge suspension at him to teach him and set a precedent so that others know it is absolutely unacceptable behaviour
This would be beyond idiotic. The league would basically encourage injuring others, because it almost never leads to "huge" suspensions.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
what does it matter? he spit on him period

even if he did not spit on his face how do you know he didn't try to do that but just has lousy aim.

I agree. Huge suspension. Double what Marchand got for licking though I'm not sure why spitting is worse.

Now for sucker punching to the head:
20 games.

EDIT: I thought of a reason why spitting could be dangerous. If the shot to the head knocked out a tooth, then spitting could project that tooth into the puncher's eye. This possibility cannot be allowed. People must accept punches to the head, and then ask the puncher's permission to go to the dentist.

Last edited:

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
Really not that big of a deal. Players have hit refs, nut shotted people, slashed people in the face and y’all crying about a little bit of spit after a guy got sucker punched while he was held and took guys on by himself?? I blame the refs for not letting the guys fight. Under the circumstances I see nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: JenniferH

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I couldn't help but laugh that the person complaining about karma for Gudbranson is called Karma!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Go find the poll about this and see what kind of discipline I think he will/should get. It's not a suspension.

I don't mind people saying Gudbranson shouldn't have thrown a punch. But it's just amusing to see some people who have defended Wilson's right to blast his elbow into other players' heads for one reason for another are now clutching their pearls over a punch in the interest of diminishing the impressions of others for a player who responded to a punch by spitting.

Personally, I don't think we need to throw the book at him but he should understand that spitting on people is how toddlers and adults who never had parents deal with conflict. Like we shouldn't sew the scarlet letter on him for this but hopefully he understands how gross and frankly embarrassing that is.
But hitting a guy in the head when he is being held by officials is MANLY and NOBLE. Give it up folks, Gudbranson's actions are close to Bertuzzi's and Hathaway's close to Marchand's.

Bertuzzi got the book thrown at him because the injury was severe, but punching a person in the head is a very, very dangerous act, far more dangerous than licking or spitting, however classless those things might be.

Reactions: Lurch and JenniferH

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Simple solution to all this crap. Pushing around should be roughing, punches to the body should be fighting, and punches to the head should be 10+ game suspensions. At the very least they should be more severe than what a guy who misses his check in real time at high speed by 6 inches gets for a "head shot".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad