Hathaway spits on Gudbranson (suspended 3 games)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Based on what exactly? Seriously. Poll your friends and family on if they'd rather be punched in the face or spit on. You're seriously out to lunch here. Again, you're referring to hockey culture as proof that people are more offended by spitting than being physically assaulted. It's absurd. Again, ask why literally every judicial system in the world treats a blow to the head much, much more seriously than spitting. Because it can cause serious injury and even death. Anyone who thinks an assault on your pride is a worse fate than those is seriously insane.

Yes, we've already established that spitting in someone's face is disrespectful and offensive. That's not controversial despite your attempts to pretend like I think spitting in people's faces is perfectly fine behaviour. Punch somebody's face in real life unprovoked* and let me know how that turns out for ya.

*And before you try to respond by claiming that punching someone in the face is justified in hockey because there is "provocation," remember that every act has an aggressor/instigating act and that Hathaway didn't actually spit on Gudbranson "without provocation" unless you'd seriously like to argue that he went and spit on him for no god damned reason.

Idk that anyone has said it was unprovoked... more just dumb that his response was to spit... thats just literally never happened.

So your defense is basically hathaway was provked to spit... but gudbranson just sucker punched him because it was a nice day out?

Had a bad case of the mondays... gunna go randomly punch someone in hopes they will spit on me

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Idk that anyone has said it was unprovoked... more just dumb that his response was to spit... thats just literally never happened.

The post I quoted said "spit in somebody's face in real life unprovoked and let me know how that turns out for ya." He was attempting to argue that spitting is a worse act than punching someone in the face. I'm not sure why he'd stipulate that this spit would be unprovoked if it's completely unrelated to the Hathaway incident.

Reactions: Getz2noone

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

So your defense is basically hathaway was provked to spit... but gudbranson just sucker punched him because it was a nice day out?

Had a bad case of the mondays... gunna go randomly punch someone in hopes they will spit on me

Lmao when did I ever say that? Point it out for me. My argument was that punching someone in the face is a worse act than spitting on someone.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The post I quoted said "spit in somebody's face in real life unprovoked and let me know how that turns out for ya." He was attempting to argue that spitting is a worse act than punching someone in the face. I'm not sure why he'd stipulate that this spit would be unprovoked if it's completely unrelated to the Hathaway incident.
I think context is pretty important, people seem to think punching someone in a hockey skirmish is equal to walkin down the steet and punching someone.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
The mental gymnastics by caps fans in this thread is astounding. Things like the "sucker punch" happen nearly every single game in scrums, yet very rarely does anyone spit on anyone. Even Hathaway acknowledged it's bush league.
What mental gymnastics are you talking about? Dirty answer to a dirty action, most of Caps fans agree to this, but not you apparently.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think context is pretty important, people seem to think punching someone in a hockey skirmish is equal to walkin down the steet and punching someone.

No one has suggested that, just like I never said that spitting on someone is justified if they "provoke" you. You just keep making things up.

I'll reiterate what my argument was because you clearly didn't bother to read my posts or the replies before you decided to enter into this argument. I said that it was funny that spitting is considered the worst act in an incident where people are punching each other in the head. I said this is only true in hockey culture. I said that in any other context, people would consider a punch to the face a much more objectionable act than being spit on (as evidenced by the fact that one is a much more serious crime than the other). I never said hockey fights are entirely analogous with "real world" fights. I never said spitting on someone is perfectly fine behaviour. I never said that you're allowed to spit on someone if you've been "provoked." I never said that there is no "provocation" to hockey fights/sucker punches. If you're going to take issue with something I've said, at least put the effort into trying to understand what my argument actually was.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
What mental gymnastics are you talking about? Dirty answer to a dirty action, most of Caps fans agree to this, but not you apparently.

What you don't seem to understand is there are degrees of dirty. Any logical person understands that. If that weren't the case guys would be getting spit on every day in the NHL...

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I can't find anyone w
What you don't seem to understand is there are degrees of dirty. Any logical person understands that. If that weren't the case guys would be getting spit on every day in the NHL...
Who is saying spitting is fine? I think it's low class and he should get a game or two. I will say though that when you are being held back and suckered punched it is probably easy to get emotional and make a bad decision. That isn't defending it, that's just stating that I don't understand how I would react to that situation.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
give him 2 games

the reputation he carries will be damaging enough beyond that

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

hathaway should have known better. He should have gone I. For the lick as a method to transport saliva then he wouldn’t have gotten a Match penalty

match penalties are for intent to injure (spitting is mentioned in a game misconduct but not a match). We all know how you can cause concussions or broken bones via spit. Luck would have been the better way to go in retrospect

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Hathaway is just as ridiculous as most of the Caps fans in this thread. This is the story he's going with huh? Maybe the punch to the head made him forget there are cameras everywhere nowadays.

"Unfortunately, spit came out of my mouth after I got sucker-punched, and it went onto him," Hathaway said. "It has no place. It was an emotional play by me. You don't plan any of that stuff in your head, and it was a quick reaction and unfortunately the wrong one for me to a sucker punch."
Asked if he expected further discipline, Hathaway said, "I think time will tell with that.''

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...athaway-tossed-spitting-ducks-erik-gudbranson

No integrity in that one. Unsurprisingly.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

The explanation is gold. Pure gold.

i mean the other video in this thread shows that he actually spit his mouthpiece out so he's not really wrong

i've spit my mouthpiece out just trying to talk before, boxers spit theirs out after being punched all the time

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Many of you mention that sucker punch like this happens almost every game. Are you sure?

yeah that's a solid piece from someone who knows the ref isn't looking

i'd like to see it suspended given that they suspend guys for gloved punches nowadays too

Reactions: shtorm2005

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Players get bopped in scrums all the damn time without people spitting. I don’t see how this is hard to grasp.

Exactly. That is what a lot of the Hathaway apologists are missing. Players know there is a chance they will get punched in the face. It happens all the time especially in scrums like this. There is not an NHL player who goes out there expecting to get spit on because it doesn't happen. Ever. Until now.

There is no defense for spitting on someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad