Hat Trick with 2+ Empty Net Goals

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tonight Ryan Hartman of the Blackhawks scored a hat trick with both the 2nd and 3rd goals being empty netters. How many times has this happened before?

Has a player ever recorded a hat trick where all 3 goals were empty net?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I'm almost certain nobody has ever scored 3 ENG in a game. It's extremely rare for a team to have three in a game, let alone one player doing it

Mario Lemieux had a hat-trick with two of the goals being ENG on Mar 12/87 vs Quebec.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
... by a single player, not that Im aware of... for bizarre however, check this out: www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/04/five-empty-net-goals-in-one-game.html

If i recall correctly...In the Rangers last game that year (played just before this one) Emile Francis pulled Eddie Giacomin while the Rangers had a 2 (3?) goal lead trying to get a little more buffer on the assumption the Hawks would beat Montreal (no point in assuming otherwise). I don't think it worked and it was late in the game...nothing like what Montreal tried after going down 4-2...but they got the win which tied Montreal in points and had I think a 4 or 5 goal season lead over Montreal. It was a log jam in the East that year for the top 5 (which included Chicago who were moved to the West the next year)

Interestingly, none of Pit Martin's hattrick goals were any of the 5 empty netters in the 10-2 Blackhawks win.

The rule was changed for the next year to use goal differential, not GF, for the tie break after wins, so no one tried it again.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Related-but-not-really, Sportsnet showed a stat that said Colton Sissons was the only player in NHL history to score a hat trick with the 2nd goal being an ENG and the 3rd goal being scored on a goalie.

(Presumably the 1st goal was scored on a goalie too)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
3 hasn't happened. But I bet 2 ENG in a game is as rare as hen's teeth too. It's not often you see a team pick up 2 ENGs, so it should be even rarer that it's the same player scoring both.

Stephane

Jan 18, 2019
3 hasn't happened. But I bet 2 ENG in a game is as rare as hen's teeth too. It's not often you see a team pick up 2 ENGs, so it should be even rarer that it's the same player scoring both.
Joel Armia (Mtl) juste scored 2 empty net goals in a 4-1 win tonight!!!

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Joel Armia (Mtl) juste scored 2 empty net goals in a 4-1 win tonight!!!

The first one isn't an empty-net goal on stat sheet as Korpisalo hadn't gotten on the bench yet and actually tried to come back to stop Armia's shot.

Anyways there's been seven occasions where a player has scored a hat trick with two empty-net goals:

Marcel Dionne did it twice (2/11/76 and 3/3/79)
Mario Lemieux did it twice (3/12/87 and 10/17/89)
Milan Michalek (3/6/12)
Ryan Hartman (1/8/17)
Michael Grabner (12/1/17)

All in all there has been a total of 15 cases where a player has scored two empty-net goals in a game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
... by a single player, not that Im aware of... for bizarre however, check this out: www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/04/five-empty-net-goals-in-one-game.html

What a bizarre game that was too. Anytime we complain about the format the NHL has now you can always point at a time where I don't think it was more bizarre. For starters, the Habs were a good team in 1970. I believe it was 2-3 games prior that they were mathematically still in reach for 1st overall in points. The way the format went with the top 4 in each division going on and the expansion division being just horrible that year made it even more bizarre. But the tiebreaker being goals for............well, that just seems silly in retrospect doesn't it? Goal differential, or head to head matches you can see.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
What a bizarre game that was too. Anytime we complain about the format the NHL has now you can always point at a time where I don't think it was more bizarre. For starters, the Habs were a good team in 1970. I believe it was 2-3 games prior that they were mathematically still in reach for 1st overall in points. The way the format went with the top 4 in each division going on and the expansion division being just horrible that year made it even more bizarre. But the tiebreaker being goals for............well, that just seems silly in retrospect doesn't it? Goal differential, or head to head matches you can see.

I remember those games.

The writer said "Montreal could lose against Chicago 20-5 and still make the playoffs as long as they scored 5 goals."

I would presume that the only reason the Canadiens didn't start the game with six skaters was that they had a better chance trying to win or tie the game, however low the score.

However, once Chicago had 5 goals, their objectives merged, and the focus became score five, no matter what the final score.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Kyle Connor had an opportunity for his first NHL hattrick last week. Would have been 2 empty netters, and he passed the puck instead.

Figured he wanted to beat a goalie at least twice for his first hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad