NHL Entry Draft: Hastily Done Mock Draft

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I crash coursed the best I could. Just wanted to post one just in case it turns out I am a genius. The draft itself is wide open, so I expect a lot of trades, and thus a lower success rate than I've had in the past.

2010: Top 3 again was right, but then people got stupid and let Cam Fowler drop. I also got Minnesota picking Granlund at 9, the Ducks taking Emerson Etem, although with the wrong first round pick. I nailed Jarred Tinordi to Montreal, and Alex Petrovic I had in the first round to Florida, but he went a few picks later but to the same team.

2009: 5 correct picks, but nailing the top 3 is the easy part. Not much to speak of other than that. Kreider and Holland flipped teams from my mock. Although I was sort of right with Carolina going off the board a bit.

2008: I believe I had 7 players go in their their spot, or to their team, but generally, I thought trends held up pretty good even if it wasn't the right player. Then again, it's easy to get the top of the draft right.

2007: 6 of top 14 either selected by the teams, or in the spots taken. Detroit also took Joakim Andersson later in the draft, whom I had as a 1st round pick.

Off we go, I'm out of time, so less comments. Maybe later.

1edmontonOILERSryanNUGENT-HOPKINS
C, Red Deer, WHL

He's the top guy. If the Oilers trade out, whoever moves up will take him.

2coloradoAVALANCHEadamLARSSON
D, Skellefea, Sweden

Same likely goes here. Avs could see a lot of Forsberg in Landeskog, but also a lot of Rob Blake in Larsson

3floridaPANTHERSgabrielLANDESKOG
LW, Kitchener, OHL

It sounds like from many reports that Florida is trading...somewhere. But if not, this just makes too much sense to get such a character player into that organization

4new jerseyDEVILSjonathanHUBERDEAU
LW, Saint John, QMJHL

Leave it to the Devils to troll the draft by winning the lottery, and then taking the Memorial Cup MVP.

5new yorkISLANDERSdougieHAMILTON
D, Niagara, OHL

If they take Ryan Murphy, does Kevin Connolly get him written into the script of Entourage? If not, at least the Islanders get the better defenseman.

6ottawaSENATORSryanSTROME
C, Niagara, OHL

If Brian Burke asks to move up, what is the over/under on Bryan Murray swatting him away insisting that he has the guy he wants?

7winnipegJETSseanCOUTURIER
C, Drummondville, QMJHL

Chris Jericho spent an hour watching last year's draft this morning. He will have to wait that long to have a new name to intentionally mispronounce.

8philadelphiaFLYERSryanMURPHY
D, Kitchener, OHL

A strange feeling will come over my anatomy watching Paul Holmgren step to the podium, and that's only talking about the fact we have a 1st round pick to begin with.

9bostonBRUINSnathanBEAULIEU
D, Saint John, QMJHL

I took Beaulieu in the Mod Mock Draft for the Bruins. Might as well stick with it.

10minnesotaWILDjonasBROGIN
D, Farjestad, Sweden

And afterward, Wild fans' biggest flaw will be that he is not from Minnesota...

11coloradoAVALANCHEmikaZIBANEJAD
C, Djurgardens, Sweden

Just in case they didn't take a big Swedish forward the first time.

12carolinaHURRICANESsvenBARTSCHI
LW, Portland, WHL

I will be rather unhappy if Jim Rutherford takes a defenseman in the first round after he claimed he would never do it again last year.

13calgaryFLAMESmarcMACNEIL
C, Prince Albert, WHL

How many times is the name "Olli Jokinen" uttered?

14dallasSTARStylerBIGGS
RW, Peterborough (OHL) - USA

I'm convinced that Joe Nieuwendyk has convinced himself that he's a genius.

15new yorkRANGERSmarkSCHEIFLE
C, Barrie, OHL

16buffaloSABRESduncanSIEMENS
D, Saskatoon, WHL

17montrealCANADIENSjamieOLEKSIAK
D, Northeastern University, NCAA

18chicagoBLACKHAWKSt.j.MILLER
F, US NTDP, USHL

19edmontonOILERSoscarKLEFBLOM
D, Farjestad, Sweden

Tambellini loves Sweden.

20phoenixCOYOTESroccoGRIMALDI
C, US NTDP, USHL

21ottawaSENATORSmattPUEMPEL
LW, Peterborough, OHL

If Brian Burke again tries to trade up, will he undo his tie and really act serious?

22anaheimDUCKSconnorMURPHY
D, US NTDP, USHL

23pittsburghPENGUINSnicklasJENSEN
LW, Oshawa, OHL

"Oh my God, he's going to be the great winger playing with Sidney Crosby."

24detroitRED WINGSjoelARMIA
RW, Assat Pori, Finland

25torontoMAPLE LEAFSbooneJENNER
C, Oshawa, OHL

The only thing better than Jenner having the best name in the draft, will be Don Cherry salivating over saying it.

26washingtonCAPITALSalexanderKHOKHLACHEV
C, Windsor, OHL

HF trade proposals trying to spell this name is already worth it.

27tampa bayLIGHTNINGbrandonSAAD
LW, Saginaw, OHL

Less angry than Brett Connolly

28san joseSHARKSreidBOUCHER
F, US NTDP, USHL

25vancouverCANUCKSdavidMUSIL
D, Vancouver, WHL

Vancouver, I support your cause.

30torontoMAPLE LEAFSjohnGIBSON
G, US NTDP, USHL

What, no goalies?

Ad