NBA Haslam's Buy Share of the Bucks

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

The Haslam family's portfolio of sports teams may be getting bigger.
According to reports from ESPN and The Athletic, Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry has agreed to sell his stake in the team to Jimmy and Dee Haslam on a valuation of $3.5 billion.
Lasry, who bought the Bucks in 2014 along with Wes Edens, reportedly has a 25 percent stake in the Bucks. Based on that $3.5 billion valuation, the Haslams will pay approximately $875 million.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Lasry bought the Bucks for $550M in 2014, that is a tidy little profit for him after 8-9 years of ownership

I remember how crazy it was when Balmer paid $2B for the clippers, and now teams are going for double that

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lasry bought the Bucks for $550M in 2014, that is a tidy little profit for him after 8-9 years of ownership

I remember how crazy it was when Balmer paid $2B for the clippers, and now teams are going for double that

Ballmer overpaid because he REALLY wanted to own a sports team. (Its an exclusive club in NA).

Also minor correction - Lasry owned 25%. So he paid a quarter of $550mil and now sold that for $875mn, still a massive profit.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The cap going up in 2016 changed everything, players you barely knew started making insane money and franchise values skyrocketed.

Bucks in 2014 IIRC were, not on the verge of relocation like the Sacramento Kings were but also needed a new building and even then Milwaukee wasn't exactly a stable market. Crazy how the development of Giannis changed things.

As for the Haslams, insert finally a winning team owned by Jimmy joke here.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says that Lasry is a 30% owner.
I have seen a lot of disinformation about the Bucks. They don't own their arena, they are the primary tenant.
Lasry is not the sole owner and he isn't getting $3.5B himself, which I saw yesterday online.

I am not a Bucks fan because their 3 owners (now 4 with Fascitelli) ignored the Admirals owner in discussions about Fiserv Forum. That is why the Admirals moved out a year early from the Bradley Center. The Ads previous owner built and paid $91M for the Bradley Center. It is a vacant lot at the moment. (A hotel was supposed to be built on the site. Now it looks like a pair of auditoriums will be built by the Bucks owners.) Lasry, Edens and the third guy, Dinan, each paid $50M for Firserv Forum. Herb Kohl, the previous owner of the Bucks paid $100M on the condition that the team stayed in Milwaukee. That was $250M out of a total of $525M. The city, county and state together paid $250M. The extra $25M was a cost overrun that was paid for by the Bucks, IIRC.

My daughter has gone to some Bucks games, but she is swearing them off due to the Haslam's. She doesn't even like the brother who is buying into the Predators. He is a former Governor of Tennessee. At least he never hired a serial rapist as a quarterback for the Cleveland Browns!

BTW, Marc Lasry's son ran in the primary for US Senator in '22. I think his political career is over in Wisconsin.
I am starting to hear a lot of backlash about the Haslam's as the Bucks owners. Giannis has a squeaky clean image and reputation; quite the opposite of the Haslam family.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The cap going up in 2016 changed everything, players you barely knew started making insane money and franchise values skyrocketed.

Bucks in 2014 IIRC were, not on the verge of relocation like the Sacramento Kings were but also needed a new building and even then Milwaukee wasn't exactly a stable market. Crazy how the development of Giannis changed things.

As for the Haslams, insert finally a winning team owned by Jimmy joke here.

Herb Kohl had to commit $100 million towards the new arena after he sold the team, so you are spot on. & yea its ironic, the Bucks were more or less an irrelevant team in a somewhat obscure market for years and still would be if it wasn't for Giannis.

Also... not to be a buzz kill but the Haslam owned Columbus Crew won the MLS title in 2020 ;)

Reactions: HisIceness

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Herb Kohl had to commit $100 million towards the new arena after he sold the team, so you are spot on. & yea its ironic, the Bucks were more or less an irrelevant team in a somewhat obscure market for years and still would be if it wasn't for Giannis.

Also... not to be a buzz kill but the Haslam owned Columbus Crew won the MLS title in 2020 ;)
Arthur Blank won the MLS title his first year as a MLS owner.

So in other words, RIP Bucks.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
$875 from $550 in 2014 is about a 6% ROI. This obviously excludes A LOT in calculations but just the public info is discussed here. A solid return in this segment. But nothing outrageous as many in sports media tout AND what fans implicitly assume. Take note, other investment funds EASILY beat this return and not close either. For anyone criticizing owners including players, its not always what you think. But Wisconsin isn't the ideal example either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad