Has your faith in Holland been shattered?

Has your faith in Holland been shattered?

• Total voters

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
He’s improved the forwards but the defence is downgraded. We’re much faster as a team with these additions and with Barrie, Keith, Nurse and Bouchard, it seems like they’re prioritizing puck movement (which is a positive). I think between the puck moving dmen and our fast forward group (we’ve added 2 speed demons in Hyman and Foegle ) - our best chance of winning is if we can play a style like Colorado. They don’t have many big dmen either but they overwhelm teams with their transition game and team speed. Of course we don’t have a Makar but puck moving looks to finally be a strength. Hopefully Tippett can adjust to the roster changes.
Agree and disagree. Colorado has three top10 puckmovers, it is not just Makar. So I don't think we can play like them.

I was thinking more like Vegas or Carolina. They pressure like crazy all the time. Our D group is really bad at defending, especially the own blueline so I hope that Tippett adjusts to more aggressive forecheck, because we are going give lots of scoring chances with that defense anyway.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Forward group looks really good.

I have no opinion Ceci. He gets trashed by some for his time in Ottawa/Toronto but had a good year with Pittsburgh. I don't know what to expect. In a perfect world, Larsson stays, and the Oilers have Barrie/Larsson/Bouchard down the right side for the foreseeable future.

Koskinen still being on the roster is the biggest issue. If he's still there by the start of the season, that will sour me on the offseason. It's too big of a hole not to fix, especially when the other goalie is 39. Holland saying they can't expect Smith to play as much this year at least gives hope that an upgrade on Koskinen might happen.

I still think Holland has a few moves yet. He mentioned a LD defenceman in needs. Would Ryan Murray fill the bill? Be a great 3rd pairing Dman. We presently have 1.2 in cap and 4.2 in with Klefbom. Be sure nice if Klefbom was healthy but he could be done. That’s too bad. Yamamoto, Foegele need contract as well . Hopefully he gets a trading partner for Kosiknen. If he don’t get Murray, I did think Koekkoek played okay

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Aatu Räty (who many over here feared the Oilers would pick in the draft) has scored 5+5 points in less than five games in the U20 summer tournament. Yeah it's just a summer tournament but the numbers are very convincing when compared with what the top-20 picks that are playing there have.

I don't know enough about Bourgault to say they should've picked Räty instead so don't take me wrong, but I was hoping Holland would've found a way to get Räty when he started to fall badly. I know none of the other GMs did either, but some bold moves like this would be great and somehow with Holland those seem unlikely. Of course one has to know what he's doing, but in Räty's case there was a great chance he'd be a huge steal that low.

It's also possible the Oilers could've got Räty with the 2nds they lost in getting AA, but of course we don't know what Holland would've done with them in the draft. It's also possible that played a part in Holland's desire to trade down in the draft.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Is this poll still around!?! :huh:
He's only mildly chia like now. Looking better.

1627832801563_r.jpg

I just realized when you cross Chia and Holland you get Pierre McGuire.

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
This story is emblematic of what it's like cheering for this team.

First training camp Holland and Tippett had two promising RHD fighting for jobs. Both looked good at times, neither of them were kids and the future looked good.

Bear made the team and looked promising at times that first half of the season. I recall comments in sections like this and ON saying stuff like "Now THAT'S how you GM...". As if showing up to a team and managing good players other GMs picked was an accomplishment. Some fans were impressed they were willing to promote a younger player...or something like that. It still makes little sense to me.

I've heard and read people shitting on Holland. I've heard them lauding him. He's made good moves. He's made bad moves. What I haven't seen are a lot of panicked moves. I've heard he's improved the communication within the team - no clue what that means but apparently buzz words like transparency and availability have been bantered about when it comes to internal workings at the team - and they seem to play more as a team the last two years than before.

I don't know if he or Tippett are the guys to lead us to a Cup but I think they've been a necessary transition team if we need others to put us over the top.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know if he or Tippett are the guys to lead us to a Cup but I think they've been a necessary transition team if we need others to put us over the top.

I wonder about Tippet as well. He did a good job coaching Shane Doan and a bunch of nobodies in Arizona but coaching nobodies and coaching stars like McDavid and Leon is different and just because you maximized a bunch of nobodies doesn't mean you can work with stars.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I wonder about Tippet as well. He did a good job coaching Shane Doan and a bunch of nobodies in Arizona but coaching nobodies and coaching stars like McDavid and Leon is different and just because you maximized a bunch of nobodies doesn't mean you can work with stars.

I agree.

This coming year is Tippetts third. His 3rd year in AZ he took the Coyotes to the WCF against the Kings. And they didn't manage much more the next five years.

What I hope is that regardless of what this team does on the ice Holland the management group have an idea on what they want to see from the coach and the response they want from the team.

Just because for 6 weeks he catches lightning in a bottle shouldn't give him the cache to hang around for 5 more seasons off of one strong stretch of hockey.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I have one issue with the coach. His goalie rotation undermines both of the goalies. It’s been a continual over play or under play from him. He needs to setup a rotation and stick to it.

I also want a coach who will keep Draisaitl and McDavid separated unless
:

a) it's a PP
b) dying minutes of 3rd and you need a goal
c) it's OT
d) injuries are mounting

And really...I only want them using that option for a and c.

Reactions: GOilers88

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I have one issue with the coach. His goalie rotation undermines both of the goalies. It’s been a continual over play or under play from him. He needs to setup a rotation and stick to it.
he talked about it today in his interview with Stauffer, saying that last season was weird for goalies because they rode koskinen early for the first 11 games and wore him down and there wasnt a lot of rest time to get him back. expects a more traditional rollout with the goalies this season

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
I think that Chiarelli (especially) and Holland have made blunders but I think that the man on the throne,Katz,has conveyed undo pressure on both by demanding a playoff presence and going further in the playoffs instead of building a team the right way,
draft and develop.I think that Chia was brutal(made more brutal by these demands) and Holland being okay instead of good.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Holland needs to fire Dustin Schwartz or demote him to another position like toilet cleaner. The book is out on him, shoot glove side on any goalies he trains, he's been in way over his head and I have no idea how he's managed to keep his job this long.
Koskinen constantly letting in the 1st shot on net and then the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th did he get to 5? I forget but it deflates the team, they play better in front of Smith who used a different coach in the offseason. Koskinen is looking just like 2nd season Talbot who has managed to rebound.
So replace him with someone actually qualified for the job and we might not have to trade Koskinen, but he needs a lot of new training asap!!!!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Holland needs to fire Dustin Schwartz or demote him to another position like toilet cleaner. The book is out on him, shoot glove side on any goalies he trains, he's been in way over his head and I have no idea how he's managed to keep his job this long.
Koskinen constantly letting in the 1st shot on net and then the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th did he get to 5? I forget but it deflates the team, they play better in front of Smith who used a different coach in the offseason. Koskinen is looking just like 2nd season Talbot who has managed to rebound.
So replace him with someone actually qualified for the job and we might not have to trade Koskinen, but he needs a lot of new training asap!!!!
I think the tele-graphic indicated 5 goals on 4 shots at one point. There might be a screenshot out there.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
he talked about it today in his interview with Stauffer, saying that last season was weird for goalies because they rode koskinen early for the first 11 games and wore him down and there wasnt a lot of rest time to get him back. expects a more traditional rollout with the goalies this season
He exasperated the situation.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
He exasperated the situation.

Certainly with his past success with Mike Smith and how he uses him now leads to the clear appearance of favoritism which doesn't bode well.

Unless Koskinnen returns to camp pissed and channels that into his play.

space321

May 11, 2011
I also want a coach who will keep Draisaitl and McDavid separated unless
:

a) it's a PP
b) dying minutes of 3rd and you need a goal
c) it's OT
d) injuries are mounting

And really...I only want them using that option for a and c.

It's honestly not the coaches fault. For the past few years we never had enough winger depth to split McDavid and Draisaitl full time.

Hopefully with the addition of Hyman (praying that he doesn't instantly decline) we will see them split into 1C and 2C, because that truly is when this team is at its best.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's honestly not the coaches fault. For the past few years we never had enough winger depth to split McDavid and Draisaitl full time.

Hopefully with the addition of Hyman (praying that he doesn't instantly decline) we will see them split into 1C and 2C, because that truly is when this team is at its best.

Yeah, if they can find the synergy we could have two awesome scoring lines and probably still the deadliest PP in the NHL, that'll hopefully make up for the defense.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Certainly with his past success with Mike Smith and how he uses him now leads to the clear appearance of favoritism which doesn't bode well.

Unless Koskinnen returns to camp pissed and channels that into his play.
Terrible when a coach plays the far and away better player more than the other, regardless of salary.;):sarcasm: John Cooper should be ashamed for playing Vasilevskiy so much more than the backup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Terrible when a coach plays the far and away better player more than the other, regardless of salary.;):sarcasm: John Cooper should be ashamed for playing Vasilevskiy so much more than the backup.
Tippett also started the worse goalie in 2020 which put the Oilers behind the 8-ball early.

Reactions: Aerchon

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
I can see how the massively compressed schedule might have thrown a wrench in things.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
overpaying players can be okay, as long as their is a plan for the cap. I'm very on the fence now. I could figure this out in EA's NHL video games Be a GM but real life is harder (I'm told).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->