Has this idea been discussed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

If they do go to a salary cap system, a big sticking point seems to be guaranteed contracts, but I was thinking there could be a solution to that.

No guaranteed contracts, but the Union must provide insurance on those contracts(after a tax of something like 5% or under of the contract to the union, to be put in a pot for this purpose) so if they're cut, they still get a good percentage of the money they were promised.

The biggest problem I can think of with this is that it'd be incredibly easy to commit insurance fraud like this. Someone could sign Sandy McCarthy to a 3 year deal with the first two worth $1 million but the third worth $5 mil, and they cut him the summer before, he gets that money at the expense of the union and the rest o the playes for that matter.

Other than that, is it a reasonable idea?

HckyFght*

I would simply have a buy-out clause, say 25% of the entire contract or some such. There needs to be some protection for the league against players inking a deal based on strong numbers that they are then unable to deliver on, just as their needs to be protection for players against being cut arbitrarily.

In a perfect world the players salary would rise and fall based on a formula for achievement and performance levels with an intangible category for leadership and solid players who may not generate big statistical numbers.

-HckyFght!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->