has there been a time where a team was pressured into a trade or signing a player?

The Chef*

has there ever been a team that was forced (by fans or media) into signing a FA or into making a trade? (not money related like the gretzky trade).

just list the player(s) and i'll find my own info on it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can think of lots in Toronto. Doug Gilmour for instance. Not because the fans ran him out of town but pretty much because he was older and they could still get good market value for him on the trade front. Too bad they screwed it up afterwards though.

Larry Murphy and Bryan McCabe were run out of town in Toronto. The fans booed them at every turn. Murphy probably thanked them because he won a pair of Cups with Detroit afterwards.

For coaches/GMs no doubt John Ferguson Jr. and Paul Maurice were run out of Toronto. But it was justified IMO.

Bure sure pressured his team to trade him in Vancouver. Not much choice Brian Burke had at the time.

Heatley. Pick a time with him. Although I can almost understand with Atlanta.

Also I don't know the circumstances quite the same but Craig MacTavish was traded from Boston to Edmonton for virtually the same reason as Heatley. Had to be some pressure there

The Chef*

I can think of lots in Toronto. Doug Gilmour for instance. Not because the fans ran him out of town but pretty much because he was older and they could still get good market value for him on the trade front. Too bad they screwed it up afterwards though.

Larry Murphy and Bryan McCabe were run out of town in Toronto. The fans booed them at every turn. Murphy probably thanked them because he won a pair of Cups with Detroit afterwards.

For coaches/GMs no doubt John Ferguson Jr. and Paul Maurice were run out of Toronto. But it was justified IMO.

Bure sure pressured his team to trade him in Vancouver. Not much choice Brian Burke had at the time.

Heatley. Pick a time with him. Although I can almost understand with Atlanta.

Also I don't know the circumstances quite the same but Craig MacTavish was traded from Boston to Edmonton for virtually the same reason as Heatley. Had to be some pressure there

I was mainly looking for stuff before 2000. But those are all solid examples.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think the ill-advised deal to bring back Wendel Clark to Toronto in 1996 was entirely fan and media-driven.

Then they got him and the fans were happy but the media talked about what a terrible move it was for the future, and of course they were right, even though Clark was just 29.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Very True

I think the ill-advised deal to bring back Wendel Clark to Toronto in 1996 was entirely fan and media-driven.

Then they got him and the fans were happy but the media talked about what a terrible move it was for the future, and of course they were right, even though Clark was just 29.

Very true. You raise an interesting point about the success of players
returning to a team. Thread worthy

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Off the top of my head,

-Patrick Roy after the Mario Tremblay left him in for 9 of 11 goals in an 11-1 blowout by Detroit

-Eric Lindros after he refused to sign with the Nordiques after they drafted him, then again after he refused to resign with Philly

-Keith Primeau when he heldout as an RFA with Carolina

-Ottawa more or less had no choice but to trade Alexei Yashin after his one year holdout and then forcing him to complete the last year of his contract

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't remember exactly who it was that did it, but there was a team not named Toronto who coveted Laurie Boschman. The GM of said team, knowing that Harold Ballard hated religion in all forms and was hostile toward religious players, decided to exploit this. He'd call up Ballard and ask, "How's that religious kid you've got, that Boschman kid?"

The irony, of course, is that Boschman fell out of favor with Ballard shortly afterward and ended up having a religious experience, thus forcing his trade out of Toronto.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
According to Hockey Reference, Detroit got Murphy for future considerations.

What were these assets ?

The "asset" was that Murphy was no longer in Toronto. Unfortunately, he had value but we traded him away as though he had none. He was run out of town.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I don't remember exactly who it was that did it, but there was a team not named Toronto who coveted Laurie Boschman. The GM of said team, knowing that Harold Ballard hated religion in all forms and was hostile toward religious players, decided to exploit this. He'd call up Ballard and ask, "How's that religious kid you've got, that Boschman kid?"

The irony, of course, is that Boschman fell out of favor with Ballard shortly afterward and ended up having a religious experience, thus forcing his trade out of Toronto.
I heard a similar story to that, except the player in question was Doug Jarvis and it was Sam Pollock who made those remarks to Ballard in the hopes that he'd give up Jarvis to Montreal; which is what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad