Has the DoPS ever been viewed favorably?

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Year after year the DoPS is viewed as being inconsistent resulting in recurring jokes like the Wheel of Justice.

Im a somewhat new hockey fan starting in 2010 and I knew everyone hated Campbell and his perceived bias, Shanny and everyone who followed after him's inconsistency. But when's the last time the DoPS was looked at favorably?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
No. And there's a few reasons.

1. You suspended my guy, you're always against my team
2. You didn't suspend the guy who hurt my guy, you're always against my team.
3. No transparency
4. No clue one hit to the next what is suspendable or not.

There needs to be some leeway for repeat offenders, seriousness from offense to offense, but it seems there is literally zero black and white when it comes to anything that goes before the board.

The most important one is fans thinking that their team is the one being targeted. Doesn't matter if the decision is the right one or wrong one.

They'll never be able to win.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
No, because there is no consistency. There is no bias really, there is just no consistency at all.

If they had a suspension term flow chart to guide them that would be nice, as most of their decision lengths seem completely random.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The fact that Chris Pronger is part of the player safety division says all you need to know about how much of a joke it is.

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden
No, because there is no consistency. There is no bias really, there is just no consistency at all.

If they had a suspension term flow chart to guide them that would be nice, as most of their decision lengths seem completely random.

Is it suspension? Roll a dice. 3+ it was.
How long suspension? Roll another one. Value = games suspended.

Edit: Ofc a big reason for criticism against DoPS is inconsistency vs. fandom. In every suspension thread there's a million "Yeah, it was bad but...". If people could just soak it up and don't look at others when you see your stars do something nasty that'd be pretty good. It's usually just 1-2 games out of 82 anyway.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
They were viewed favorably for awhile after their videos began being released. Both the guideline videos as well as suspension explanation videos.

They added a TONNE of transparency compared to previously.
You ateast now know their logic behind their decisions.

But in the world of fandom, every suspendable play has fanbase backing a player, against the player, or neutral... and the resulting assessment always goes thru that filter and generally theres always a huge range of opinion.

But not necessarily always the DoS' fault.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Because the thug life, chose him :sarcasm:

-------------

The DOPS is a joke, truth be told. So inconsistent with their choices, it honestly does seem like a roll of a dice. You get Star Players avoiding fines etc. Then hits that are absolutely disgusting don't even get viewed and everything, it's very odd logic.

I appreciate there's the whole fan bias, but I'm pretty sure deep down every fan can realise that it's probably fair for Player X to be suspended.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

It is a bit weird that one of the dirtiest players in modern NHL history is partly responsible for punishing players for dirty plays.

I'm wondering why Shanahan and Pronger were qualified anyway. Wouldn't it be better to promote referees or something? They're the ones who have to know all of the rules inside and out and attend meetings on this crap for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad