Has Shea Weber closed the gap on Coburn and Barker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I asked this question in another thread, but it never got answered.

Weber is getting alot more hype right now than he was last year at this time. Seems the more people see him play the more they like him. The only things I've heard lately about Coburn and Barker were negatives.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
His potential is still not as high as Barker's I think that is obvious. Barker is in the upper echelon of potentiall. Weber is most certainly below that.

Who knows about Coburn though. :shakehead He just dissapoints all the time with me.

Sammy*

triggrman said:
I asked this question in another thread, but it never got answered.

Weber is getting alot more hype right now than he was last year at this time. Seems the more people see him play the more they like him. The only things I've heard lately about Coburn and Barker were negatives.
No, not at all with Barker. Yes, with Coburn , but who hasnt, even my 6 year old son has.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Weber's having a strong tournament, and Maguire seems to load his pants everytime Weber's on the ice, but I don't know if that means a whole lot in the bigger picture. Getting more recognition from us shmucks is great, but I doubt the people who matter have learned anything they didn't already know about Weber.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
oilers_guy_eddie said:
Getting more recognition from us shmucks is great, but I doubt the people who matter have learned anything they didn't already know about Weber.
Ya exactly. Being seen by more fans is great and all, but its not like Weber is showing people anything new. The guys who drafted etc etc know Shea Weber and know his limitations. The guy has closed the gap on Coburn only because of how much Coburn has stunk up the joint. The Barkers, Phaneuf's, Suter's of the world are still in a class above him.

If Tim Ramholt was Canadian and playing on this team he probably would be getting more exposure as well, but that doesn't make him a better prospect. Ramholt, Weber and guys of their ilk are a step below in terms of potential. Great 2nd pairing guys.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Weber is looking to be a strong defensive dman. Something in the mold of a lesser Regehr style of play. He does seem to lack and real offense. What I mean by this is the ability to setup a play by rushing out the puck, etc. The other guys, Barker, Coburn have aton more offensive potential but I think Weber is the safer pick for a defensive style guy. His ceiling definately isn't as high but it seems like a safer pick.

bruins4777*

bagh, stupid coburn step it up. Wasn't coburn pinned as the next bouwmeester at one point of time? grrr.

Whats so bad about coburn? Is it he just hasn't stood out? or is it him just turning over and sucking up? Cause if he is just not standing out and playing a silent game that may not be bad....if he does it like lidstrom does...

I really don't want to have "the next ryan whitney" on one of my favorite teams...

Evman*

I didn't see this thread. I answered your question in the other thread.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Weber is looking to be a strong defensive dman. Something in the mold of a lesser Regehr style of play. He does seem to lack and real offense. What I mean by this is the ability to setup a play by rushing out the puck, etc. The other guys, Barker, Coburn have aton more offensive potential but I think Weber is the safer pick for a defensive style guy. His ceiling definately isn't as high but it seems like a safer pick.

This is ironice because he is really lighting it up with the Rockets this year. He was their leading scorer when he left, as a d D-man :eek:. This isnt flukey either, he was also very high scoring last year. He has a really strong shot that *ALWAYS* gets through. He just hasnt been given the oppurtunity because there are more proven offensive D-men this year(If it was any other year...) I would say he has the potential to be at least as good as Regehr, if not with a bit more of an offensive touch. ala...Foote maybe.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
nucks&flames said:
This is ironice because he is really lighting it up with the Rockets this year. He was their leading scorer when he left, as a d D-man :eek:. This isnt flukey either, he was also very high scoring last year. He has a really strong shot that *ALWAYS* gets through. He just hasnt been given the oppurtunity because there are more proven offensive D-men this year(If it was any other year...) I would say he has the potential to be at least as good as Regehr, if not with a bit more of an offensive touch. ala...Foote maybe.

I never said he doesn't have a shot BUT I said I don't see him (like above) as a defenseman who will rush the puck and setup plays on the rush. He will get his points from point shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->