Has Pierre McGuire been neutered?

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
He's definately either been told or realized that he should tone it down. He did manage to slip in a few "Big body presence" references in the Canada-US game. But he missed a few "active stick" opportunities. :shakehead :sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
By golly he does:biglaugh:

McGuire_Pierre133x200.jpg

Wait, Pierre McGuire looks like that? That's the gayest thing I've ever seen! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

lilooet*

Agreed. He needs to go back to his bread and butter. He should not only resort to his regular hyperbole, but, they should also let him have full control over the graphics department, so that TSN can use the 60's style Batman graphics anytime there's a big hit:

serie_pow.jpg

serie_thwack.jpg

serie_whamm.jpg

serie_kapow.jpg

serie_bonk.jpg

You forgot "El Kabong!"

littleD

Do you see what you've done to Pierre?

One at least two occasions today, he was about to call a player "special", but stopped himself and said they were "really good" instead.

Something like, "Chicago fans, get excited for Toews, he's a really sp... good player."

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site

One at least two occasions today, he was about to call a player "special", but stopped himself and said they were "really good" instead.

Something like, "Chicago fans, get excited for Toews, he's a really sp... good player."

I only tuned in for the 3rd period today, but I heard him call two players special, and comment on a special play.
I guess he just couldn't resist going the whole game without...:D

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal

He also threw in a "magical."

I think Pierre either reads the message boards or has heard others complain about his eccentricities because he's really calling it differently this year. I for one liked him, but gone are the frequent WHAMMOS, complaints about officiating, diving and nary a mention of broken sticks. He was almost going back to his old ways during the Slovakia game, but when he could have said "That's two minutes for being strong" he just said they know what the calls are like in this tournament and just have to skate to the box and shutup.

I'd like to hear what people who've in the past called him out for having a strong bias during these tourneys think this year. I think he's made a noticeable effort to improve in that area, even if he didn't need to because frankly it's a Canadian broadcast for Canada.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
He also threw in a "magical."

I think Pierre either reads the message boards or has heard others complain about his eccentricities because he's really calling it differently this year. I for one liked him, but gone are the frequent WHAMMOS, complaints about officiating, diving and nary a mention of broken sticks. He was almost going back to his old ways during the Slovakia game, but when he could have said "That's two minutes for being strong" he just said they know what the calls are like in this tournament and just have to skate to the box and shutup.

I'd like to hear what people who've in the past called him out for having a strong bias during these tourneys think this year. I think he's made a noticeable effort to improve in that area, even if he didn't need to because frankly it's a Canadian broadcast for Canada.

I'll be the first to admit Pierre has done a much better job this year. Hell, I started a thread before the tournament asking who this years 'Monster Performer' would be and he hasn't used the term yet once. I enjoy the passion he brings to the play calling. Compared to the senile old coots at HNIC he's great.

I know it's fun to joke about man-crushes, but every commentator has guys they like. John Madden has the original man-crush on Brett Farve. So Pierre, if you're reading this no hard feelings. How about Darren Helm as a Monster Performer for old times sake?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Hahaha. :biglaugh:

I'm watching the game on Broadband right now, and I just heard this. I knew that somebody would have brought that up.

Seldanne

Sep 30, 2006
This was posted somewhere else I believe? Unless I missed it earlier in the forum... but I thought it was hilarious!!!

Macguire was talkin how Kane could go no.1 overall, and Miller replies with something to the extent of

"Oh you found a new one? You gonna call Dion Phanuef and tell him you're breaking up with him?"

Seldanne

Sep 30, 2006
and don't forget his 'Human Eraser' comments... Also I remember a few years back at the WJC's he described a player having 'soft, supple hands' and I just started shaking my head...

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I enjoy his analysis a lot more than that clown Yvon Pedneault. I wish there was a french version of McGuire, watching Habs game would be a lot better.

Pierre : 'WHAAAAAMO, KOMISAREK IS A MONSTER!'
Yvon : 'Bang'

Pierre : 'THATS A PENALTY FOR BEING STRONG'
Yvon : '*silence*....hmmm...Mick Migeough has a big head...*giggles*'

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The thing he's doing right now that's making me mad is how he talks about Price. It's no secret he thought Montreal was stupid for taking him 5th overall. Now that he's playing for Canada and dominating, he mixes his praise with comments about how he wasn't performing like this last year. Seems like it's his way of saying he was wrong about Price but not really.

Curious what he thinks of the Setoguchi pick by San Jose......

george_rules*

The thing he's doing right now that's making me mad is how he talks about Price. It's no secret he thought Montreal was stupid for taking him 5th overall. Now that he's playing for Canada and dominating, he mixes his praise with comments about how he wasn't performing like this last year. Seems like it's his way of saying he was wrong about Price but not really.

Curious what he thinks of the Setoguchi pick by San Jose......

what the hell are you talking about. i too thought price wasnt ready last season (but i didnt think gainey screwed up at the draft). all pierres doing is being honest. price has been canadas most dependable player this tourny so mcguire gives him his due. whats wrong with that?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Anyone remember last year when Kris Russel "went into that corner a boy, and came out a man"?

That's his A material. It's not every day you hear about a boy being deflowered on national television. That's the kind of thing that makes me sit up and say "Hell yeah I'm watching hockey!".

:biglaugh:

There's been some good quotes on these boards but this one DEFINITELY takes the cake.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
He's definately either been told or realized that he should tone it down. He did manage to slip in a few "Big body presence" references in the Canada-US game. But he missed a few "active stick" opportunities. :shakehead :sarcasm:

Considering that there are players under 18, and therefore technically still qualifying as children, its probably for the best.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
McGuire's generally a toned-down guy. He had his TV personality which was an exaggerated personality. This year his coverage has been more in sync with his radio-personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->