Has Patrick Kane Surpassed Brett Hull?

Has Kane surpassed Brett Hull?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Which is a pretty big drop from his prime, is it not?

Its pretty much in line with his numbers from '95 and onward. Yes Hull had an insane peak, but you're actually holding it against him that he didn't score the same amount of goals as in his peak? A peak is called a peak for a reason, there aren't really any players who matched their peak during the later years of their career so why would you hold that against him?

Considering those twilight years numbers are equal/better than Kane's peak numbers, I don't see how its relevant. If anything it proves pretty definitively that Hull was the superior player.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm not sure he even has this, honestly. Kane in 2015-16 is at least on par with Hull in 1991.

What Brett does have is a 4 year peak of truly elite level production where Kane only has 2. But even then, Hull's 101 point season in 1992-93 earned him only an 18th place finish in scoring and he was -27, so you might argue that he really only has 3 peak seasons.
Hull had 86 goals in 78 games. The closest guy to him was Theo Fleury with 51. Think about that. He scored 35 more goals than the second place scorer. And was second in points only to Wayne Gretzky. In the playoffs he had 11 goals and 19 points in 13 games.

In 2016 Kane was second in goals with 46 behind OV's 50, was third in assists behind Karlsson and Thornton. He was the overall points leader with 17 more than Benn.

That's a great season but I don't see how that is on par or surpasses Hull's '91 season.

It's also worth noting that in 1990 Hull led the league with 72 goals. The next closest player was Yzerman with 62. He was 5th in points behind Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, and Lemieux.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Very odd comparison.

Don’t think I’m being a homer by voting Hull...it’s not particularly close yet IMO, tho Kane still has plenty of time to close the gap.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hull would have another 50+ goals if Keenan didnt put him on a checking line with the Sutter brothers and Bassen for a few years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think their style of play is too different for them to really have been in competition against one another. Maybe Denis Savard is a better benchmark.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I feel like there are some snipers today that could put Brett Hull numbers back then if they could adjust.

It was a different game back then but goaltending is just so good nowadays compared to the 80's-'90's.

There aren't too many players in the league today better than Yzerman and Sakic... And Brett Hull outscored them by over 30 goals. Give him some credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad